What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A Question about Brookhart

DavisBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Brookhart sounds like a good coach with lots of offensive coaching experience and a solid recruiter, but does anyone know where Brookhart got his Special Teams Experience?

Obviously, most people think a Chia pet would be an improvement over the past special teams coach, but do you think Brookhart can make special teams a strength for the Buffs and Why?

One advantage he will have is Embree playing the best athletes on special teams and the bar is set pretty low. Other than that I would like to have more reasons for optimism.

Just because he has the title, doesn't mean he and he alone will be coaching the STs. Embree himself has helped out with the practice routine for kickers before.

resume from CUbuffs.com

Brookhart, 46, was born in Pueblo and graduated from Englewood’s Cherry Creek High School in 1983. He graduated from Colorado State, where he was a three-year starter at wide receiver and a 1987 GTE Academic All-American. His extensive coaching resume includes six seasons (2004-09) as head coach at Akron University, where he was 30-42 overall with a Mid-American Conference East Division title in 2005 which earned the Zips a trip to the Motor City Bowl.

He began his coaching career with the Denver Broncos as an assistant in 1995 under then first-year head coach Mike Shanahan. In that role, he coordinated the defensive scout team and breaking down the opponent offenses while also working with special teams. After two seasons with the Broncos, Brookhart entered the collegiate ranks, joining Walt Harris’ staff at the University of Pittsburgh as tight ends coach while assisting with special teams, serving in that capacity for the 1998 and 1999 seasons. He then took over the wide receivers in 1999, the position he would coach the next five seasons, including after he was named offensive coordinator the following year (2000). Among the players he coached were Antonio Bryant and Larry Fitzgerald, both Biletnikoff Award winners who went on to stardom in the NFL.

Brookhart has as more HC experience than anyone else on the coaching staff. He has that going for him.

resume from CUbuffs.com

Brookhart, 46, was born in Pueblo and graduated from Englewood’s Cherry Creek High School in 1983. He graduated from Colorado State, where he was a three-year starter at wide receiver and a 1987 GTE Academic All-American. His extensive coaching resume includes six seasons (2004-09) as head coach at Akron University, where he was 30-42 overall with a Mid-American Conference East Division title in 2005 which earned the Zips a trip to the Motor City Bowl.

He began his coaching career with the Denver Broncos as an assistant in 1995 under then first-year head coach Mike Shanahan. In that role, he coordinated the defensive scout team and breaking down the opponent offenses while also working with special teams. After two seasons with the Broncos, Brookhart entered the collegiate ranks, joining Walt Harris’ staff at the University of Pittsburgh as tight ends coach while assisting with special teams, serving in that capacity for the 1998 and 1999 seasons. He then took over the wide receivers in 1999, the position he would coach the next five seasons, including after he was named offensive coordinator the following year (2000). Among the players he coached were Antonio Bryant and Larry Fitzgerald, both Biletnikoff Award winners who went on to stardom in the NFL.[?Quote]
Thanks. I did not see anything that tied him to special teams before this. Hopefully, he was very involved with the special teams while he was a head coach. Embree has been very deliberate about his AC selections, so I have faith that Brookhart we be successful as the leader of special teams. I imagine he will get help from other staff members, but on game day I want him to be making the right calls.

Brookhart has as more HC experience than anyone else on the coaching staff. He has that going for him.

I agree. I think his overall experience, especially as a HC, is a huge plus for CU and Embree. I just hope he turns out to be a special teams mastermind too.

BS had an interview with Brookhart a little over a week ago. This exact question was asked..

To summarize, he said he was always part of coaching special teams at Pitt in at least 2 phases.. kick return/punt. He also coached punt returners at times.

He developed a great relationship with Frank Gansz, a NFL special teams guru, while at Pitt. He worked with him at least once a year while the head coach at Akron and JD himself remained very involved with the special teams.

He believes the starters need to be heavily involved on special teams.

It goes into more detail, but that's the gist of it.

Last edited:
BS had an interview with Brookhart a little over a week ago. This exact question was asked..

To summarize, he said he was always part of coaching special teams at Pitt in at least 2 phases.. kick return/punt. He also coached punt returners at times.

He developed a great relationship with Frank Gansz, a NFL special teams guru, while at Pitt. He worked with him at least once a year while the head coach at Akron and JD himself remained very involved with the special teams.

He believes the starters need to be heavily involved on special teams.

It goes into more detail, but that's the gist of it.

Thanks. That is what I wanted to hear.

Back