What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A quick glance at the 2011 schedule

Unleash Hell

@ HAWAI'I

Series: Tied 1-1
@ Honolulu: Hawai'i leads 1-0
Last CU win: 2010 31-13 in Boulder
Last HA win: 1925 13-0 in Honolulu

Notes
-CU is coming in with a 17 game road losing streak.
-Only 2 of the last 11 CU headcoaches have won their debut, last was Rick Neuheisel.
-CU has lost their last 2 openers when not opening against CSU.

CAL

Series: CU trails 2-3
@ Boulder: CU leads 2-1
Last CU win: 1972 20-10 in Boulder
Last Cal win: 2010 52-7 in Berkely

Notes
-CU had 5 turnovers last year and allowed 2 defensive TD's.
-Game does not count as a Pac-12 conference game as it was previously scheduled as the second part of a home and home OOC series.

CSU @ Invesco

Series: CU leads 60-20-2
@ Denver: CU leads 6-4
Last CU win: 2010 24-3 in Denver
Last CSU win: 2009 17-23 in Boulder

Notes
-CU has won last 3 meetings at Invesco by an average of 2 TD's per game.
-CU did not allow the rams to penetrate the red zone at all in last years meeting.

@ Ohio State

Series: CU trails 1-3
@ Columbus: Series tied 1-1
Last CU win: 1971 20-14 in Columbus
Last OSU win: 1986 13-10 in Columbus

Notes
-CU has not scored more than 20 points in a game in 4 meetings against the Buckeyes.
-CU is 1-5 in their last 6 on the road after playing CSU.

Washington State

Series: CU leads 4-2
@ Boulder: series tied 2-2
Last CU win: 2004 20-12 in Seattle
Last WSU win: 2003 47-26 in Boulder

Notes
-This will be CU's first official Pac-12 conference game
-Could be the battle of the bottom dwellers in each division.

@ Stanford

Series: Tied 3-3
@ Palo Alto: Stan leads 2-0
Last CU win: 1990 21-17 in Boulder
Last Stan win: 1993 41-37 in Palo Alto

Notes
-Home team has won 5 straight in this series
-CU beat Stanford in 1990 with a Bieniemy TD in the final seconds of the game.

@ Washington

Series: Tied 5-5-1
@ Seattle: CU leads 3-2-1
Last CU win: 1996 Holiday bowl 33-21
Last UW win: 2000 17-14 in Boulder

Notes
-Buffs have dropped last 2 to UDub after previously winning 3 straight in the series.
-CU and UW played 6 times from 1985-2000.

Oregon

Series: CU leads 8-7
@ Boulder: CU leads 4-2
Last CU win: 1998 Aloha bowl 51-43
Last UO win: 2002 Fiesta bowl 38-16

Notes
-Last 3 meetings have been in bowl games. 1st time since 1987 on one of the teams campuses.
-CU has played Oregon the most out of the original Pac-10 teams.
-CU is 61-30-5 all time on homecoming

@ Arizona State

Series: CU trails 0-2
@ Tempe: CU trails 0-1
Last meeting: 2007 ASU won 33-14 in Tempe

Notes
-CU had early leads in both meetings, but allowed ASU to take control and win in blowouts.
-CU has played ASU the least of the original Pac-10 teams.

USC

Series: CU trails 0-5
@ Boulder: Cu trails 0-2
Last meeting: 2002 USC won 40-3 in Boulder

Notes
-USC is the only school CU has never beaten in a series that is more than 4 games.
-USC has outscored CU 138-24 in 5 meetings
-This is a blackout game, CU is 3-1 in blackout games.

Arizona

Series: CU leads 12-1
@ Boulder: CU leads 5-1
Last CU win: 1985 14-13 in Tucson
Last UA win: 1986 24-21 in Boulder

Notes
-Buffs had won all the meetings with Arizona before dropping the last meeting in Boulder.
-CU is 16-7 in home game finales since 1987.

@ UCLA

Series: CU trails 2-4
@ Los Angeles: CU trails 1-2
Last CU win: 2003 16-14 in Boulder
Last UCLA win: 1984 33-16 in LA.

Notes
-CU has won the last 2 meetings.
-CU will be facing former coach Rick Neuheisel for 3rd time and 2nd different team.
-CU is 0-2 against Neuheisel.
-Last meeting in LA was a key turnaround point for the 2002 season with a dominating rushing performance.

@ Utah

Series: CU leads 30-24-3
@ Salt Lake City: CU trails 14-15-2
Last CU win: 1958 7-0 in SLC
Last UU win: 1962 37-21 in SLC

Notes
-An old rivalry renewed, these teams played every year from 1903-1958.
-This will be the 4th different conference CU and UU have been in together.

Why on earth would CU have played Washington State in Seattle?

CU vs. WASHINGTON STATE Colorado leads the all-time series by a 3-2 count, with this meeting in Seattle the make-up contest
from 2001; CU and WSU were scheduled to play on September 15, but the events of September 11 canceled the game. Thus, the order of the
home-and-home was switched, and Washington State decided to move the game to Seattle (the ’01 game would have been in Pullman).
The series between the pair began in 1981, with Washington State “stealing” a 14-10 win over the Buffaloes by scoring a pair of touchdowns
in the final two minutes after two Buff punt mistakes. CU won the following year in Spokane, grabbing a 12-0 win on four Tom Field field
goals. The last three games in the series have been in Boulder, a 26-17 CU win in ’87, a 37-19 Buff victory in ’96 and WSU’s 47-26 conquest
last season. CU coach Gary Barnett is 0-1 against WSU, while Bill Doba is 1-0 against Colorado.
Series Did You Know? — The 12-0 win at Spokane in 1982 was the first of what would amount to 93 victories by CU’s all-time winningest
coach, Bill McCartney. It was the second game of his “Era,” which had opened the previous week with a 31-17 loss to California in Boulder.
Conference Comparison — The Buffs are 37-32-1 all-time against members of the Pacific 10 Conference, losing the last time out, which
was last year’s WSU contest. The Cougars are 10-24 against Big 12 Conference schools, going 2-0 last year with the win over the Buffs in the
regular season and a Holiday

Why on earth would CU have played Washington State in Seattle?

With Seattle being a major city and WSU being located on the opposite side of the state I'd guess it was an attempt by them to expand their fan base/reach out to the fans in the area kind of like what the Buffalo Bills are doing by playing an annual game in Toronto.

Edit: Just looked it up, WSU has had a game at Quest Field every year since it opened. Their playing OSU there this year.

Last edited:
With Seattle being a major city and WSU being located on the opposite side of the state I'd guess it was an attempt by them to expand their fan base/reach out to the fans in the area kind of like what the Buffalo Bills are doing by playing an annual game in Toronto.

Edit: Just looked it up, WSU has had a game at Quest Field every year since it opened. Their playing OSU there this year.
Maxer, in our defense, I don't think JRK is CU educated.

I was at that game in Seattle. Nice to get a win, but it was UGLY. Washington State receivers dropped pass after pass.

Washington State outgained the Buffs 402-125, had the edge in first downs 20-7, but the Buffs had some huge plays - blocked punt and returned it for TD, picked off the Cougs in Buff territory for a pick 6. This was a quality win for the Buffs at the time, Wazzu was coming off 3 straight 10-win seasons (how easily people forget that the Cougs have actually had some really nice seasons and 2 Rose Bowls in the last 15 years).

Pullman is the most isolated BCS campus in the country by a wide margin. It is the middle of nowhere, you have to travel on narrow 2 lane roads for well over 50 miles to make it. Interestingly enough, however, Wazzu is only 5 miles away from Moscow, ID and the University of Idaho. I'd recommend making a roadie to Pullman in future seasons, not for the atmosphere, but you're guaranteed an epic road trip in a how-the-hell-did-we-make-it-here kind of way and a probable Buffs victory. The overwhelming majority of Wazzu's alumni are on other end of the state in the Seattle area, and the Cougs draw much larger crowds when they play in Seattle once or twice a year than they do in Pullman. This year they're playing Oregon State and UDub at Qwest (instead of Husky Stadium).

Wazzu is 5-32 under Paul Wulff, although many of their fans think the Cougs can make a bowl game this year. I'm pretty sure that's because they're just completely delusional at this point, but a late season victory at Oregon State last year has given them a little hope. They've got a decent QB in Jeff Tuel, but it's hard enough to recruit at Wazzu even when they're doing well, and this 5-32 stretch has taken its toll. Very little talent and no depth to speak of for the Cougs these days. They'll probably win ~3 games this year, but the Buffs should start off league play with an easy win..

@ HAWAI'I

Series: Tied 1-1
@ Honolulu: Hawai'i leads 1-0
Last CU win: 2010 31-13 in Boulder
Last HA win: 1925 13-0 in Honolulu

Holy crap that must have been one intense road trip; I gotta imagine that it took several days' worth of travel to get there. Check out what Waikiki looked like in the 1920s:

neg_1241_Waikiki_area_and_Diamond_Head_18_Jan_1934.jpg

Holy crap that must have been one intense road trip; I gotta imagine that it took several days' worth of travel to get there. Check out what Waikiki looked like in the 1920s:

neg_1241_Waikiki_area_and_Diamond_Head_18_Jan_1934.jpg

I think I see King Kong in the background.

Back