What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

about the issue where minority coaches only get one shot.....

Funny, if you actually actually do the math you may find the 1 black HC rehired actually makes re-hire rate higher for blacks than whites.

You may be right. I sat in airports yesterday glancing at ESPN with big Jon up there and they kept talking about this and I kept asking myself - what are the facts here? Is this correct? It seems that African American coaches are finally starting to get their chances as head coaches. It may not be often enough yet, but there is momentum. Why would re-hiring be any different?

I call it a fact. Let's lock the thread!

There are lots of retreads out there. Neuheisel got another chance at UCLA. Mora got a another chance at UCLA (nice trend). Petrino absolutely will. Mike Price did. Rich Rod. Terry Bowden. Charlie Weis. Dan McCarney.

But, it does seem sadly true that black HCs don't get many (any) 2nd chances.

---
And now that I re-read the OP, I see you said fired from their 1st HC job..

Big FAIL since you missed "FIRED"! Makes all the difference in the world!

So, you're a D-1 AD looking to hire a HC and Embree has applied for your position.

Based upon the firestorm Embree created, when it was perfectly clear he failed miserably, would YOU want to risk hiring him after his little blubbering, race card side show and its accompanying hail of criticism aimed at the AD and the the University? Would ya take that chance, even IF he had re-habbed his rep by being a relatively successful OC or HC at a smaller college?

Last edited:
Big FAIL since you missed "FIRED"! Makes all the difference in the world!

So, you're a D-1 AD looking to hire a HC and Embree has applied for your position.

Based upon the firestorm Embree created, when it was perfectly clear he failed miserably, would YOU want to risk hiring him after his little blubbering, race card side show and its accompanying hail of criticism aimed at the AD and the the University? Would ya take that chance ???
Uhh, I didn't miss the fired part. The guys I listed all were fired, not all were fired from their first HC job though, but they were fired from a HC job and eventually rehired as a HC.

If I'm an AD, I'd consider a retread, but it would depend what coaching positions they held since getting fired, recommendations, the circumstances of why they were fired, ....

Would I consider Embree? Right now, no way. Aside from the crappy performance, he's not helping his cause with the racism talk. That said, tell me what he does over the next 5+ years and maybe it's different. It was mentioned in another thread, but Embree needs to take a step back, then get back into coaching, move gradually up & through the ranks (eventually getting an OC position). Will he get another HC shot? I doubt it, but if there's a chance, IMO, he'll need to prove that he was more than a lifetime position coach that was promoted to a HC position he wasn't ready for.

Last edited:
I think Jon is a pretty smart guy and he probably realizes that this was his shot.

1. He's been a TE coach for a long time, and never got a coordinator shot. His resume wasn't ready for head coach.
2. It's almost impossible to get a 2nd shot, even with a great resume like Bob Davie

It is just the way it is in the high stakes game of CFB.

I actually think he would have been a good head coach if he could have surrounded himself with stellar assistants, especially a DC and OC. Again, if Jon was a stellar OC himself, he's got to only go 1 for 1 in his one chance, not 2 for 2. The odds decrease significantly there. Unfortunately, Jon went 0 for 2. I think he did the off-the-field stuff right, and is a good recruiter. But he whiffed in be able to put a product on the field that at least showed improvement. Many, many guys digressed. Guys that are upperclass guys for example.

Back