What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Addison Gillam

Don't want to bring up potential problems but at the rate he's going do we see Gillam playing college football for 4 years? Because of the grayshirt he becomes draft eligible after his soph year. Kid looks like anything he doesn't have yet he can develop. Plays the run, plays the pass.

Don't want to bring up potential problems but at the rate he's going do we see Gillam playing college football for 4 years? Because of the grayshirt he becomes draft eligible after his soph year. Kid looks like anything he doesn't have yet he can develop. Plays the run, plays the pass.

He needs size for the NFL. As quick and disciplined as he is, the NFL will want him to be bigger in order to deal with RB's and TE's at the next level. Who knows how he looks after next season though.

EDIT: After doing some research, maybe he isn't as small as he looks. At 225 he is only 5-10 behind most NFL Lb's. With a successful offseason weight program after this year, he could be gone. Its going to depend a lot on if his sophomore season matches his freshman one or not. If he sticks around and keeps putting up these kind of numbers he could be a Butkus winner.

Last edited:
Seems to me that he is still very raw. I'd think he will need to take as much time in college as he can to refine his gifts. After all, this is only his second year, really, playing football. The kid is a savant.

Seems to me that he is still very raw. I'd think he will need to take as much time in college as he can to refine his gifts. After all, this is only his second year, really, playing football. The kid is a savant.

Apparently the "only his second year playing football" is a media myth. When CU had him dorks to the media after the Colo State game, a media member asked him about it, and he said that he did not know where the story came from, and that he has been playing football since he was six years old.

Hey man, you don't know what you are talking about. Gillam is a Legend! Never played football before and now tearing up the Pac-12. No one knows where he was raised or how Mac found him. Rumor has it, he was chopping down trees with butter knives, and strangling bobcats with his bear hands. Yes I meant Bear.

Listening to the game, it sounded like he made every damn tackle lol. His name was mentioned quite a bit.

There is no doubt he is really good, but his numbers are partly a byproduct of how bad we are at almost every other defensive position. Gillam has NFL potential for sure, but he has a ways to go IMO.

I can't help but think about the difference in expectations vs. reality between Gillam and Jon Major

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Apparently the "only his second year playing football" is a media myth. When CU had him dorks to the media after the Colo State game, a media member asked him about it, and he said that he did not know where the story came from, and that he has been playing football since he was six years old.
Darn! That makes sense. It was probably something the NubDuck at the Post wrote.

You know, if CU doesn't know where it came from then they're tripping over their own dicks more than we even suspected.

From his official bio:

"He did not play football until his junior year, the only sport he participated in on the high school level."
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209225045&DB_OEM_ID=600

I thought the narrative was that he'd played youth football when he was much younger, but then had gotten away from it at some point and did not get back to it until his junior year in high school. So it wasn't accurate to say that he "never" played football prior to his junior year, but it was true that he did not start playing high school ball until he was a junior. That's just sort of how I'd pieced things together.

While that made the story all that much more bizarre, regardless the following statements seem to be true:
1.) he played for a small school in Cali and had no profile coming out of HS
2.) I believe the only offer he received was from HCMM & Co.
3.) The kid can flat out ball and with his ability could play for any BCS team in the nation
4.) barring injury he is on pace to break tons of records just this year alone at CU
5.) F..g glad we have him and gives me faith that HCMM & Co may be better than most coaches at finding hidden talent

I can't help but think about the difference in expectations vs. reality between Gillam and Jon Major

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I understand what you are saying but I will never get down on Jon. He is a guy who had a lot of other options and stayed at home going to CU. The dissapointment came when he couldn't keep his knees healthy. With multiple knee injuries he ended up significantly less mobile. He still played hard and gave it his all despite his limitations.

I understand what you are saying but I will never get down on Jon. He is a guy who had a lot of other options and stayed at home going to CU. The dissapointment came when he couldn't keep his knees healthy. With multiple knee injuries he ended up significantly less mobile. He still played hard and gave it his all despite his limitations.
No doubt, I didn't mean to knock Jon as he was one of my favorite players we've had in this tough time. He was a good linebacker and a great leader for this team while he was here, and he definitely played with a lot of heart. I merely meant to point out the difference in hype that the two linebackers came into this program with.

No doubt, I didn't mean to knock Jon as he was one of my favorite players we've had in this tough time. He was a good linebacker and a great leader for this team while he was here, and he definitely played with a lot of heart. I merely meant to point out the difference in hype that the two linebackers came into this program with.

Funny story about Jon - he dated one of my best friends baby sister in high school and beginning of college, and my buddy would toss him a bullet every time he saw Jon and tell him "don't f*** up".

Addison Gillam is not only physically good, but what I really like about him is...HE WANTS TO WIN. On another positive note: The California RB we just picked up is a playmaker with speed and moves. Another under the radar recruit.

That must be what we've been doing wrong for the last 8 years - recruiting players who don't want to win.

Addison Gillam is not only physically good, but what I really like about him is...HE WANTS TO WIN. On another positive note: The California RB we just picked up is a playmaker with speed and moves. Another under the radar recruit.

Gillam was under the radar, Dotson is not.

That must be what we've been doing wrong for the last 8 years - recruiting players who don't want to win.

Read Gillam's ESPN interview; you're more right than you think. There's a world of difference recruiting kids from winning HS programs where raw talent usually prevails to recruiting kids who want to develop the attitude and put in the time necessary to win at the college level; i.e. film study and getting it down in practice. Contrast Gillam and his film study attitude with a certain 4* DB who apparently thought Ladies Night in the Boulder bars was more important than film study last year.

Think of it as the differnce between kids who want to play and those who need to play. WB recruited the former; HCMM appears to target the latter group.

Last edited:
Read Gillam's ESPN interview; you're more right than you think. There's a world of difference recruiting kids from winning HS programs where raw talent usually prevails to recruiting kids who want to develop the attitude and put in the time necessary to win at the college level; i.e. film study and getting it down in practice. Contrast Gillam and his film study attitude with a certain 4* DB who apparently thought Ladies Night in the Boulder bars was more important than film study last year.

Think of it as the differnce between kids who want to play and those who need to play. WB recruited the former; HCMM appears to target the latter group.
You mean like Cody who never lost a HS game?

Back