What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Adkins to play on Saturday!

Rewatched the first half of Central Arkansas game tonight. Tony Jones had a 4 yard carry where he got a block on a LB from his right, that if he would have cut right, he has nobody in front of him but a CB with a WR blocking on him. He went straight ahead and the safety made the tackle for a short gain. From the TV angle, it looked like that was something he should have seen and taken it outside right.

That was the only obvious misread I saw in the 1st half, but it was a big one.

You'd have to think that he's gotten enough practice reps by now for the game to have slowed down a bit and for him to have most of his assignments down for run/pass/blitz pickup. It's time to see what he can do.

Excited to see him on the field and hopefully we will see the impact on the run game. We need to be able to get teams to respect it at least a little bit or the passing game is going to start suffering.

The more I read, the more I realize that Embree and Co had these poor kids playing scared. If you screwed up once, you were benched and screamed at. MM and Co seem to instill the confidence in these kids that they will get burned from time to time, and all they need to do is pick themselves up get coached to fix it on the sideline and move on to the next play.

Excited to see him on the field and hopefully we will see the impact on the run game. We need to be able to get teams to respect it at least a little bit or the passing game is going to start suffering.

Sorry, but that is "old school" thinking. After four games, our esteemed opponent OSU, is averaging less than an anemic 55 yds rushing a game and is still considered by most here to be a 10 point favorite over the Buffs, thanks to their passing game.

Times have changed!

The more I read, the more I realize that Embree and Co had these poor kids playing scared. If you screwed up once, you were benched and screamed at. MM and Co seem to instill the confidence in these kids that they will get burned from time to time, and all they need to do is pick themselves up get coached to fix it on the sideline and move on to the next play.

Hasn't that been rather friggin' OBVIOUS for about eight months now? WB&Co could have taken Stanford's talent down to 3-9 with their NFL approach to the college game, especially the teaching (non-exisitant) and coaching (alternately screaming F-bombs and sulking and benching). Won't even mention game-planning or in-game adjustments (both also non-existant) !

That said, the past three weeks should have helped Adkins immensely. I'm looking forward to see what he can contribute.

Adkins is a back that can break the edge and take it the distance. In the osu vs sdsu game sdsu's tail back was being shoe string tackled every time he hit the edge. Major weak point on their defense. Watching that game and ewu game, osu defense is not tackling very well. Pound with POW and mix in some speed with TJones / Adkins / Abron....this could turn into a track meet with major run #'s.

If Pow Pow is finally healed up and ready to rock, I love our chances. With his ability to drop the hammer on anyone in his path, by the time we start mixing in the speed backs, no one is going to be ready to tackle. We need to see a balanced offense to win tomorrow.

I expect we will see a lot of "where has that guy been?" come Sunday. Adkins is the fastest back we have, and he's 200 pounds. Tony Jones speed, but doesn't come down easy either.

Adkins - check
Awuzie - check
Coleman - torn Achilles
Olugbode - check
Reed - RS
Severson - check
Thompson - check

Certainly they filled that class with guys ready to play and contribute right away. Makes me wonder what guys they didn't have room for.... Hope all JE's guys work out and can stay in school better than the prior class. We need bodies.

I expect we will see a lot of "where has that guy been?" come Sunday. Adkins is the fastest back we have, and he's 200 pounds. Tony Jones speed, but doesn't come down easy either.

Adkins - check
Awuzie - check
Coleman - torn Achilles
Olugbode - check
Reed - RS
Severson - check
Thompson - check

Certainly they filled that class with guys ready to play and contribute right away. Makes me wonder what guys they didn't have room for.... Hope all JE's guys work out and can stay in school better than the prior class. We need bodies.

Gillam

Hasn't that been rather friggin' OBVIOUS for about eight months now? WB&Co could have taken Stanford's talent down to 3-9 with their NFL approach to the college game, especially the teaching (non-exisitant) and coaching (alternately screaming F-bombs and sulking and benching). Won't even mention game-planning or in-game adjustments (both also non-existant) !

That said, the past three weeks should have helped Adkins immensely. I'm looking forward to see what he can contribute.

Dumbass, every coaching change in the history of earth has players publicly saying how the new coaching staff has made things better than the old staff. It is as old as the "take one game at a time" cliche. Guess what. We were hearing the exact same crap after Embree took over from Hawkins. You need to actually read between the lines to not only see what they are really saying, but watch what is happening in actual games.

So no, it isn't friggin obvious because you had absolutely no clue how the new staff was actually coaching until you see it in game and over a longer sampling period. Try not to buy what is spoon fed to you next time.

I agree with those suggesting we need a more balanced attack. The better competition we face, the more important is to ensure they can't key in on one part of our game, especially b/c I am not convinced our air attack is as "dominant" as it has appeared to be in the 1st two games against weaker opponents.

If we have 1-2 backs capable of busting it on any play, the D can't key in only on the pass. Also, play-action becomes really deadly b/c if they bite on the run, PRich, Spruce, DD & Company should be open and Wood is capable of getting them the ball. If they play soft focused on the pass (which I would do given our 1st, 2 games) we nail them with the run.

My guess is given HCMM & Co history at SJSU we will probably always be a more pass-happy offense than a fully balanced one. But a 60/40 or 70/30 split with the regular potential to break a long run can wreak havoc on even a good Pac 12 defense.

If you think about it, Oregon's offense has been predicated on this the past several years. They have burners at all skill positions and can take it to the house from the receiver, back (and frequently QB position) as well. That has proven to be virtually impossible to defend.

It's not about being balanced. It's about running effectively when you want to run (late in games). Still think the coaches will look at more designed runs by Wood going forward.

The running backs need to be a bigger part of the passing game going forward because the tight ends are not going to suddenly get much better and help in the red zone.

Abron is a back I like, but I don't care who carries the ball at this point as long as they get over 3.5 ypc consistently and during meaningful game moments.

My general bias is toward smash mouth football. I love watching a team march down the field 6 yards at a time. It's demoralizing to an opponent, too. However, I don't think MM is a smash-mouth kind of guy. I think he understands the need to be able to run the ball, though. I'm excited to see what we can do tomorrow.

Like Abron on the edge, Like TJones catching screens, Like Pow Pow up the gut, really anxious to see what Adkins brings. btw-Severson is going to have a nice return this saturday

Like Abron on the edge, Like TJones catching screens, Like Pow Pow up the gut, really anxious to see what Adkins brings. btw-Severson is going to have a nice return this saturday
I also feel we are due for a breakout run. One of our backs, my bet is on Adkins, is going to bust a long one.

Abron's between the tackles toughness is under appreciated.

Abron's between the tackles toughness is under appreciated.

Toughness is there, but he needs to get stronger. He struggled in the last game. Bigger issue is that he seemed impatient, though. Probably was over-excited for his first significant game action this year.

Outside of one drive with Tony Jones, no RB has looked the part so far. Really not even close actually.

Toughness is there, but he needs to get stronger. He struggled in the last game. Bigger issue is that he seemed impatient, though. Probably was over-excited for his first significant game action this year.
impatient, or tackled as soon as he got the ball. He hasn't gotten a hole all year.

impatient, or tackled as soon as he got the ball. He hasn't gotten a hole all year.

Let's not be so quick to assume that no holes are there. Think back to the 2007 season and how that young OL seemed to create holes for Speedy while the other backs were getting stoned. A good RB makes an OL look a lot better.

Let's not be so quick to assume that no holes are there. Think back to the 2007 season and how that young OL seemed to create holes for Speedy while the other backs were getting stoned. A good RB makes an OL look a lot better.

Speedy did a whole lot of making people miss in the backfield and turning losses into gains. I don't recall a lot of holes for him either.

Sorry, but that is "old school" thinking. After four games, our esteemed opponent OSU, is averaging less than an anemic 55 yds rushing a game and is still considered by most here to be a 10 point favorite over the Buffs, thanks to their passing game.

Times have changed!

This is crap. When we start playing teams with speed in the defensive backfield, you are going to see the passing game slow way down unless you can at least make them think about the run. We do not have enough weapons to be a pass only attach that averages 55 yards a game rushing. You may think it is old school, but we do not have the depth or weapoons to play in the new school yet. In a couple of years, maybe. Not today.

Definitely a point, but a free man in the backfield is what I'm talking about here. And comparing him to speedy isn't fair, as no one on the roster is close to speedy.

This is crap. When we start playing teams with speed in the defensive backfield, you are going to see the passing game slow way down unless you can at least make them think about the run. We do not have enough weapons to be a pass only attach that averages 55 yards a game rushing. You may think it is old school, but we do not have the depth or weapoons to play in the new school yet. In a couple of years, maybe. Not today.

Completely agree. One caveat I would put to that would be if we get a great screen game going to our RBs and WRs. Those yards would go in the passing category but have pretty much the same effect as running the ball in terms of tiring out a DL, safeties cheating up and LBs not getting as deep on their drops.

Completely agree. One caveat I would put to that would be if we get a great screen game going to our RBs and WRs. Those yards would go in the passing category but have pretty much the same effect as running the ball in terms of tiring out a DL, safeties cheating up and LBs not getting as deep on their drops.

Absolutely

Back