What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Adkins to play on Saturday!

Pointed it out last week, but the lack of running game could be a big issue in red zone offense down the road as well. We already are limited there with no TE threat.

Definitely a point, but a free man in the backfield is what I'm talking about here. And comparing him to speedy isn't fair, as no one on the roster is close to speedy.

And that, my friend, is the crux of the issue. We came into the season with 7 scholarship RBs: Ford, Jones, Creer, Abron, Crowder, Adkins and Lindsay. If none of them can hold a candle to Speedy (an undrafted free agent for the NFL) - then people better start listening more to Duff when he says that RB is a major recruiting need.

For the record, the thing I was most wrong about with the previous staff is that I was 100% certain that they would significantly upgrade our talent at RB and TE while they were here. I like Powell. I probably haven't seen enough of Abron yet. Creer, Crowder and Lindsay have had injury complications. And Payne washed out. TE is pretty much Irwin (who should be ok) along with Hobbs and Ray washing out. It's not pretty.

And that, my friend, is the crux of the issue. We came into the season with 7 scholarship RBs: Ford, Jones, Creer, Abron, Crowder, Adkins and Lindsay. If none of them can hold a candle to Speedy (an undrafted free agent for the NFL) - then people better start listening more to Duff when he says that RB is a major recruiting need.

For the record, the thing I was most wrong about with the previous staff is that I was 100% certain that they would significantly upgrade our talent at RB and TE while they were here. I like Powell. I probably haven't seen enough of Abron yet. Creer, Crowder and Lindsay have had injury complications. And Payne washed out. TE is pretty much Irwin (who should be ok) along with Hobbs and Ray washing out. It's not pretty.

This is the crux of it for me. Lots of guys with good speed or size. None with both. guys looking to make cuts and not hit the hole. Powell hitting the hole, but slow. No one has stepped up and defined themselves as the starter. I hope it happens tomorrow! For me, it is the difference between an exciting rest of the season and a rest of the season where I worry about Wodd getting lit up and injured.

Completely agree. One caveat I would put to that would be if we get a great screen game going to our RBs and WRs. Those yards would go in the passing category but have pretty much the same effect as running the ball in terms of tiring out a DL, safeties cheating up and LBs not getting as deep on their drops.

Bubble Screen FTMFW!!!

I am with Nik, et. al and even Duff :) that we have been incredibly disappointing in the run game and to data, no back, Powell included, has shown to be of high potential this year. Running wears down the defense, running keeps them 1 step slower in covering the pass and on pass rush, running helps run the clock out, running helps in the red zone, running helps keep the QB upright more often...

Again, this is why I am hopeful Adkins might be a difference maker b/c he was in Fall practice. We need a homerun back to complement our homerun receiver.

Averaged 7 yds a carry. Not only does he have a better burst, he seems to have better vision and instincts. Also he is not a lightweight Speedy guy. He can run b/w the tackles. We have found our every down back with an occasional Powell for short yardage.

Averaged 7 yds a carry. Not only does he have a better burst, he seems to have better vision and instincts. Also he is not a lightweight Speedy guy. He can run b/w the tackles. We have found our every down back with an occasional Powell for short yardage.

+1

He looks like a huge upgrade.

He made the cuts and hit the holes when they were there. He had some burst and made yards past the blocking. He didn't go down when hit by an arm or a slight breeze.

He showed some quickness, some awareness, and some sense of how to run the ball.

I wonder if having a back who can and will make use of holes will inspire the OL to make a few more holes?

I asked about this earlier, thanx Goonie btw. Adkins sounds like he has some game, I'm more worried about the oline. It sounded like we got our ass kicked up front.

May have already been asked but are we being really hurt by not having a dedicated RB coach, running game sure looks like it needs one. Think next year we may want to ditch Neinas and bring in a RB / recruiting ace.

May have already been asked but are we being really hurt by not having a dedicated RB coach, running game sure looks like it needs one. Think next year we may want to ditch Neinas and bring in someone who isn't dead weight.

fify

Back