What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

After 3 hours of sleep

Agreed. Sefo is not really a threat at QB, often his decision making is a liability. ST continues to be simply awful, but at least Chuck's son is raking in the recruits...not. The OL gets pushed around, badly. I am sticking with my 4-5 win prediction. MikMac lost me last night, that was simply pathetic.

The vibe of Buff players on the sideline throughout most of games the last 5-7 years has often been one of subdued resignation. Not saying that they expect to lose, but the they are so prepared for it that they look to be emotionally steeled against disappointment. It sucks. I can't imagine what had to be going through Jim Leavitt's mind last night. Pretty sure he's never seen a lower energy football environment.

Having said this, the Buffs usually do start hitting on more cylinders as the early season moves forward. I don't think you're going to see another event as comatose and diffused as the clusterf___ we saw last night. I see 2-2 in the OOC.

The vibe of Buff players on the sideline throughout most of games the last 5-7 years has often been one of subdued resignation. Not saying that they expect to lose, but the they are so prepared for it that they look to be emotionally steeled against disappointment. It sucks. I can't imagine what had to be going through Jim Leavitt's mind last night. Pretty sure he's never seen a lower energy football environment.

Having said this, the Buffs usually do start hitting on more cylinders as the early season moves forward. I don't think you're going to see another event as comatose and diffused as the clusterf___ we saw last night. I see 2-2 in the OOC.
I think this is the stuff we were expecting to change this season (an expectation to win, coupled with a faster start to the season).

Sure glad I did not watch. I thought I would be devastated with a loss, knowing this year will be like the last ten. But, I feel ok. Life goes on.

And there is the problem! Life long, diehard fans are now apathetic. I knew we were screwed when Hawkins was retained that extra year, but I thought we would recover. Now, I think we are doomed to be bottom tier Pac12.

Yeah I can't sit here and blame Sefo completely with the blocking that went in last night. It was so obvious what was working and what would dominate Hawaii offensively but the play calling was atrocious. Sefo could have run a qb draw every single play for atleast 5 yards and he actually looked decent running the ball. A lot of people speculated that special teams would cost atleast a game this year and while it may not have lost the game it definitely didn't win it.

Horrible.

Am I the only one seeing pass blocking as the fundamental issue last night? Obviously special teams was a mixed bag as well.
Absolutely, pass blocking was horrible. Even so, our run blocking was opening up holes and was effective so I can't explain why our playcalling went away from what was working and back to what wasn't working.

Horrible.

Am I the only one seeing pass blocking as the fundamental issue last night? Obviously special teams was a mixed bag as well.
No, the OL last year got beat regularly, and this crew is no different. That is the reason CU doesn't go downfield, they cannot protect for more than three seconds. In a nutshell, the OL stinks and gets manhandled regularly by single DL's. On the Powell fumble Kelley got shoved deep into the backfield. Mtn. Weenie DL pushing our OL around...great.

Yeah I can't sit here and blame Sefo completely with the blocking that went in last night. It was so obvious what was working and what would dominate Hawaii offensively but the play calling was atrocious. Sefo could have run a qb draw every single play for atleast 5 yards and he actually looked decent running the ball. A lot of people speculated that special teams would cost atleast a game this year and while it may not have lost the game it definitely didn't win it.

I would say that the blocked punt, the holding call on the return (though bogus, I suspect) and the interference call on the punt reception (possibly bogus) fundamentally altered the outcome of the game. Special teams.

I would say that the blocked punt, the holding call on the return (though bogus, I suspect) and the interference call on the punt reception (possibly bogus) fundamentally altered the outcome of the game. Special teams.

And the fumbled punt return.

When Sefo slid instead of trying to pick up the first down on the second drive (?) I knew we were going to lose. I finished feeding the baby, checked allbuffs, confirmed we lost, and went back to bed not even mad.
THIS has been my ding on Liufao forever. So whomever says running quarterbacks don't make a difference in college, fine. But the QB has to at least be aggressive enough to get the needed yardage.

9ReRvb8.png

Me. I’m not even surprised. I’m just tired of watching the same movie.

All I kept thinking of was how a quick hit full back dive would have gone for 30 yards last night like it did against ASU last year a couple times.

Well, I've learned the hard way.
The next time CU plays this late, I'm DVR'ing the thing and waking up early to fast forward the commercials and half time.
Getting 3 hours of sleep is not good at 40 years old any more. :(

On top of that, Sefo looked horrible UNTIL he played with urgency with 6 minutes left.
The Oline is non-existent.
Defense looks real good.
Special teams are a C- at best.
Powell is way over rated.

I'm hoping that they were tired and just over-confident.

I kept thinking that if a Mountain West team can manhandle our line the way they did, what will Oregon and UCLA do?
We are in for a LONG world of hurt this season, boys.

I initially had us winning 7 games or so (wishfully), but now we DO look more like a 3 win team.
We should win against UMass next week, lose to CSU probably, and then beat the fourth opponent.

After that, MAYBE a win against Wash St and or Oregon St.

No bowling this year unless they pull their heads out.

Are we in the tree trust house? From the time I graduated college, I would not be willing to go anywhere or do anything on college football Saturdays. As my kids have grown and started playing football and cheering on Saturdays, I was forced to split my time and even missed a few of my daughter's cheer events to watch football.So last year toward the end of the season, I could sense my family starting to grow tired of how much time I was investing in college football, and specifically how irritated I would get when watching Buffs games - they wouldn't even sit in the same room as me. I finally had enough and did not even watch football from the last 2 weeks of the season (bowls included).
I thought I'd give basketball a chance, but while ignoring my family on a Thursday night to watch CU get trounced on my iPad, again I said, "I'm out."
This year, my wife has been asking when football starts, and more specifically, "when is the first Buffs game?" I DESPERATELY want to be back into college football, but I have so much crap going on right now - deploying on Sunday, my planes aren't working right, about to turn over my command, getting orders to a crappy place and a crappy job...the last thing I want to do is through in MORE disappointment with a crappy football team. I can't emotionally invest that time. So to answer my wife's question, I just shrug and say "not really sure." And when she asks when we are going to order our annual New Buffs Gear, I respond with "they changed uniforms, so it'll take a while before the stuff is ready for sale."
But when I fell asleep last night at 1005 (PDT) while not even really giving a ****, I was at peace. And when I awoke to find that we had lost to a 7.5-point underdog in our first game, I was bummed for my alma matter; but not pissed, nor surprised, nor is it going to ruin my day. And frankly, I was glad I didn't waste my energy to stay up and watch. Because I would rather save my emotional energy for my family right now.

Well, nothing to be optimistic about and all hope is lost for another season. Par for the course. I'll check back in this time next year to see if lightning strikes or something.

Wish we would have used a two back backfield a bit last night....I don't think we lined up like that at all.
A FB would have given another blocker and short target, and we definitely weren't throwing deep.

Wish we would have used a two back backfield a bit last night....I don't think we lined up like that at all.
A FB would have given another blocker and short target, and we definitely weren't throwing deep.

The one deep ball I remember from last night, sefo missed fields by a mile

You all piss me off! Unfortunately, it's because I agree with all of you. I'm sick and sick and tired of this ****. My CU graduate kids can't understand why I waste my time and money on this team. I think they want to be fans, but they are smarter than I am.

Seriously wondering if the coaching staff underestimated the time/travel effect on them. Any time they were asked they talked about how it wouldn't affect the players - the players may or may not have been ok, but the coaches were definitely not firing on all cylinders.

When you lack player leadership, the coaches have to step in, but they appeared too tired to do so last night. Even Leavitt seemed more low key than I expected (especially in the 2nd half).

I actively hate our QB now too. Best I can tell he's the college equivalent of Jay Cutler. Those moronic INTs are hard to swallow, but it's the apathy that follows which is the part I can't take.

Seriously wondering if the coaching staff underestimated the time/travel effect on them. Any time they were asked they talked about how it wouldn't affect the players - the players may or may not have been ok, but the coaches were definitely not firing on all cylinders.

When you lack player leadership, the coaches have to step in, but they appeared too tired to do so last night. Even Leavitt seemed more low key than I expected (especially in the 2nd half).
They most assuredly did. I worried about that as soon as I saw they were flying out 2 days before the game. They needed at least 3.

Sefo and the oline is
trash-logo.jpg

Props to coach Leavitt, maybe he should be the HC. The defense actually looked improved. Well... except crawley.
I get your frustration, I feel the same way, but this post makes you look like a giant ****ing doosh.

Sefo hasn't really improved since his Freshman year. He rarely checks down because he is always locked in on his receivers, usually Spruce. We need to run the Shawn Watson offense. Run the damn ball, WR screens and intermediate routes.

They most assuredly did. I worried about that as soon as I saw they were flying out 2 days before the game. They needed at least 3.
Theoretically you need 1 day per time zone to be at 100% (not just function). And I'm all for sight seeing, but I would have tacked a day on AFTER the game. NO ONE needs to the USS ARIZONA Memorial the day before you play a football game.

In Sefo's defense, he was under pressure all night. You could see how pissed he was every time a blocker blew an assignment and a pass rusher blew through the line.

Back