What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

After one week of spring practices, where do you stand?

The only way firing DJ after the Spring game is at all possible is if Bedell gets the job. Otherwise, you might as well write off the entire season because we are going to be talking about transfers and the like IMO. As poorly as the OL has played over the last few years, we cannot keep changing coaches every other year.

I do agree DJ deserves to feel a lot of heat right now.

First, I don't know anything about O-Line coaching. Not one thing.

I do know that Jeff Grimes had them playing pretty good in his first year. His 2nd was the injury-riddled year. I think the guy who did a 1-and-done from Boise State had them playing ok in his first year....

We have lots of experience here. I count the following as guys who've started several or more games:

Stevens, Bahr, Behrens, Adkins, Miller, Solder, Givens, Iltis, MTM (9 guys) and a JC transfer. When was the last time we had guys with that much experience?

I have serious questions about DJ's ability to coach the OL. It's not like we can look back and say well, he was really solid the 5 years before he got here. He was a HC. Hopefully, it works out great and we look good. But there is no tomorrow for Hawkins. If the O-Line is not VERY good, he is gone. At some point, he may have to roll the dice and make a change. Bedell was a good player, but he was here last year, so I have a hard time believing he's the answer.

The O-Line should be and needs to be our strength. If it's not, it's an epic failure. But remember, I really don't know anything about the O-Line. I do know one thing. A solid O-Line can make Corey Nabors look like all-conference.

I think DJ has pretty much sucked as a position coach. I think he needs to get a LOT better and quickly. I just do not think you can fire a guy late in the Spring unless you have someone lined up because the options are usually few and far between. If Hawkins wanted to make a change (and there is certainly talk out there that he did), he needed to do it after he got his reprieve. That is why I say Bedell is probably about the only option if you fire DJ now.

I think DJ has pretty much sucked as a position coach. I think he needs to get a LOT better and quickly. I just do not think you can fire a guy late in the Spring unless you have someone lined up because the options are usually few and far between. If Hawkins wanted to make a change (and there is certainly talk out there that he did), he needed to do it after he got his reprieve. That is why I say Bedell is probably about the only option if you fire DJ now.

I think Hawkins has sucked as a HEAD COACH, but do you see him getting any better after 5 yrs now.......DJ is going into his 2 yr, but I do agree that as any coach on this staff, he needs to make a huge improvement and fast

I see plenty of reasons to believe that this team will be substantialy better than last year. Better depth, more experience in the DL, better athletes at LB, experience at DB and Polk ready to break out as a playmaker. More experience and depth on the OL, better WR depth and athleticism, more explosiveness at TE, better at kicker and punter, more explosive returners.

This all said, last year I believed was going to be a breakout year for a whole bunch of reasons. Hawk happened, the team came out confused and uninspired, we had the QB drama, we had the lack of continuity on offense and the lack of ability to prepare for opponents key plays on defense. We used slow walkons at WR and returning punts (or should I say not returning punts based on the average,) we had player defections and lack of continuity. In short we had unexplainable and unpardonable losses mixed in with just enough positive to keep most of us watching.

Players are young, they change, they develop, they mature. That we can build hope on. Coaches tend to get into ruts, what you see is what you get, over and over again. When I see reason to believe that Hawk has changed then I will believe in this season.

I barely even care anymore. I think they are going to be terrible.

It is ridiculous how far away this school's athletics are away in both major sports. We aren't a top-100 team in bball and we aren't top-50 in football.

There are plenty of excuses, but Hawkins should have done a lot more than he has by now. Freaking Temple won 9 games last year and we can't even crack .500. Woooooo.

I am going to pull an Unleash.....screw all of this. We suck, and I am no longer going to contemplate how much we suck until the fall.

don't care too much anymore....will start paying more attention when hawkins and family are gone.

I think the biggest thing is W's. Apathy is definitely messing with the fanbase, me included. What the hell is going on in Boulder? Might be bad initially to fire Hawk but this program is not why i started watching CU football. It wasnt even the winning so much as how those squads went about it.

Back