What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

After that punt, I'm done with HCMM

Didn't get it other than he was trying to lose by only 14. I agree with Ya.

I was so confused when he sent out the punt team. I mean sure Utah ran a brilliant punt fake against the Ducks last week, but there is no way that would have ever worked twice. I had assumed Oregon was the only program in the Pac-12 with an awful coach, but its nice to know that misery loves company.

One of the biggest complaints people have about the team is the lack of toughness and killer instinct they have. Nowhere was this more highlighted than when they waved the white flag by punting in that situation.

One of the biggest complaints people have about the team is the lack of toughness and killer instinct they have. Nowhere was this more highlighted than when they waved the white flag by punting in that situation.
Waiving the white flag is definitely the correct term. Not sure if HCMM did this because he could tell that both lines had already more or less quit or if the lines quit because HCMM quit on them with this call. That being said, both lines were just destroyed by Oregon in this game (after Oregon's lines were killed by Utah the week before). Sure, the offensive line was down two left tackles, it wasn't just the tackles that were beat. To me this domination was the most troubling aspect of the game.....which I suppose is a good thing because usually after an Oregon game, everything is troubling.

This was a no-win situation. 90% chance they don't make the first down, 80% chance they don't stop the Duck rushes. 5-10% chance Oregon fumbles. Of course I'm pulling these numbers from nowhere, but odds favored MM's choice. Guts is another matter.​

Even going for it and falling short sends a message that we're tough, willing to take chances and want to beat the defending champs. Punting is weak, surrendering and showing we don't have any guts.

This was a no-win situation. 90% chance they don't make the first down, 80% chance they don't stop the Duck rushes. 5-10% chance Oregon fumbles. Of course I'm pulling these numbers from nowhere, but odds favored MM's choice. Guts is another matter.​
Not buying the odds argument. If you punt there, you have to stop Oregon twice on offense to have a chance to tie. That's hard enough when the clock isn't working against you. You think the odds of that are better than picking up a couple yards on 4th down, preserving the clock, and hopefully only having to stop Oregon once?

Gutless.

Gutless, stupid, embarrassing. I'm done.
I turned off the game at that point, since it was hopeless (and late). Still, expected to lose this one, think we can still finish 5-8. If he does that he'll get another year. But with this (small) recruiting class looking pretty much like all the others with mostly a mix of 2 and 3 stars, when and how will we start catching up? Maybe it's time for another magic RG bullet.

HCMM is in over his head. It's so obvious that he is not a P5 caliber coach. Is he a nice guy? Yes. Is he well intentioned? Yes. Does he have a magic coin that he carries in his pocket? Yes. But we need somebody who has been around a big program and knows what it's like having big expectations, a la Mcelwain. HCMM seems satisfied with just being somewhat competitive against the likes of Oregon, UCLA, etc.

I turned off the game at that point, since it was hopeless (and late). Still, expected to lose this one, think we can still finish 5-8. If he does that he'll get another year. But with this (small) recruiting class looking pretty much like all the others with mostly a mix of 2 and 3 stars, when and how will we start catching up? Maybe it's time for another magic RG bullet.

They have a lot more athletes than we do. And those athletes were clearly faster. We knew that going in and this game was expect to be a rout. Instead, in a sign that were slowly getting better without having the same Jimmy's and Joes they do, we kept the hopeless game close and showed more slow improvement.

We have to recruit better.

Even a mighty mighty program like Oregon can have problems at the QB position and they clearly are suffering.

5-8 would be bad. Patience is gone everywhere around this program (as it should be). There will not be a positive attitude going into next season coming off 5-8. I don't think 5-8 makes it certain MikeMac will be back. 5-8 is under achieving.

Not buying the odds argument. If you punt there, you have to stop Oregon twice on offense to have a chance to tie. That's hard enough when the clock isn't working against you. You think the odds of that are better than picking up a couple yards on 4th down, preserving the clock, and hopefully only having to stop Oregon once?

Gutless.
Was it just 2 yards? If so please disregard my "odds" argument, that was just ridiculous. I was following by radio and had the impression it was 10-15 yards to 1st down.

I thought it was about 5 yards with 7 or so minutes to go and we were down by 14. As I sat in the stadium a little past midnight with the rain starting to return, I was thinking you have to go for it to have a chance and was disappointed to see the punt team come on. Game over.

They have a lot more athletes than we do. And those athletes were clearly faster. We knew that going in and this game was expect to be a rout. Instead, in a sign that were slowly getting better without having the same Jimmy's and Joes they do, we kept the hopeless game close and showed more slow improvement.

We have to recruit better.

Even a mighty mighty program like Oregon can have problems at the QB position and they clearly are suffering.
You're right they clearly have better athletes, and despite their issues at QB I thought we'd lose. You're wrong about this being an expected rout, as the 6.5 point line attests.

Was it just 2 yards? If so please disregard my "odds" argument, that was just ridiculous. I was following by radio and had the impression it was 10-15 yards to 1st down.
I believe it was 4th and 4. Down 14 with 7:10 to play. That's no-brainer. I really want him to explain that call during the presser.

After that punt, I'm done with HCMM

MacIntyre is conservative in stress situations with his offense. Look at the decisions he made vs UCLA last season when CU had the ball and the momentum and he played for OT instead of the win in regulation. I'm not sure why anybody is surprised MacIntyre called for a punt in that situation last night or why that would be a pivot point on judging him.

We've had 2 Pac wins in the past 3 seasons, one of which was a small miracle with Wazzu ****ting the bed. ...and yet HCMM doesn't have the cojones to be bold and just ****ing go for it. Unreal.

How CU has stayed this down for this long is baffling.

Clearly, our only hope was to go for it there. We were stunned and pissed that he punted. But I doubt the players cared much. Looked like they were ready for a nice hot shower and a cup of hot chocolate by then anyway. Maybe Mac saw that as well.

We've had 2 Pac wins in the past 3 seasons, one of which was a small miracle with Wazzu ****ting the bed. ...and yet HCMM doesn't have the cojones to be bold and just ****ing go for it. Unreal.

How CU has stayed this down for this long is baffling.
The Wazzu win was under Embree.

I have written off MM, unfortunately. The blueprint for him turning around the program was to take our 2/3 star players, coach them up, and have the team play beyond its talent. After winning a few signature games, MM would begin to recruit 3/4 star players, and really turn the program around.

It seems clear that MM is failing at coaching players over their talent level, we have failed to win any meaningful games, and our recruiting is horrible. I would love to hear how the future for this program looks promising. Especially frustrating is even with Rick's unbelievable delivery of new facilities, we have seen no benefit. I guess our 2 star players are now in a better locker room, and our coaches have great views from their offices.

We remain completely irrelevant, and I would love to hear a rationalization how that will change any time soon under the current staff.

I have not giving up on this staff , especially with Levitt on board. Mmac is not a gambler. I can live with that.
buffs are obviously improving. If Mmac staff had recruited better the first two years the improvement would be quicker; but we are closing the gap. We need to improve recruiting by hiring better recruiters. Maybe 2 more staff changes Focused on recruiting and let the facilities and flat irons do the rest. If we only win 1 more game we need a new HC, but 2 games should buy them another year. McCartney was 1-10 his third season. MMac is going in the right direction, just slowly.
I love Sefos heart and determination, but I think when we get a more accurate passer, this team will make huge jump up. Picture Goff on our team. One player switch and we are 100% better. Connecting on all of those missed throws and we are 5-0. I hate to say that cuz I have a lot of respect for the kid, but the missed are what kills this offense.
If Apsay or Martinez can be more accurate we have enough talent around them to be a bowl team.
Waiting another year sucks, but starting over sucks worse. I think throwing in the towel after a frustrating loss to Oregon is a mistake.

Back