What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Age breakdown of those for and against Mac back as coach

Age of those for and against Mac coming back

• I'm over 25 and bring back the man!

Votes: 53 51.5%
  • Under 25, but I respect my elders. Mac is back.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Over 25, but hes been out of the game too long

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Under 25, who is Mac

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • HIRE DAVE LOGAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
I recently discussed Mac separately with two of the most active and dynamic seniors I know. My dad, who still runs our consulting business at 65 years old. A good friend who still runs the Bolder Boulder every year and plays in a competitive basketball league at 71 years old.

Both gave me the same exact response: "Too old."

Food for thought.

I'm 33 and I say we need a coach that has been in touch with the game in the past decade and a half. Respect for Mac, but we need to go another direction.

I'm 48 and don't want anymore legacy hires. We need to say goodbye to the past and start over.

No to Mac

I'm 38 and I say no.

I could live with it, if that ends up being the decision, but we need to be looking forward not back.

I appreciate what Mac was able to do for us in the past, but NO! I fear he'll be too much like Bobby Bowden in his latter years was.

We need to hire someone young, with lots of potential and a proven track record. Someone like Les Miles or Gus Malzahn.

22 and I'm all for bringing back Mac. Unless we can get one of the long-shots like Belotti, the Mad Hatter, or maybe Malzahn. Realistically Mac is the best solution.

Mac is far preferable to bringing in another hotshot coach from a non-BCS league, or a desperation hire like Dave Logan. EB as OC with an understanding that he'll be head coach in ~3 years would be fantastic. Having Logan on the staff would be great and assure we prevent Pac-12 rivals from poaching what limited top talent CO produces, but he cannot be considered a candidate for the top job.

This isn't rocket science, we need someone who will hit SoCal hard for top talent, and whoever can do that successfully will win ballgames for CU.

Edit: I'll add in my CU football fan background: I'm one of the "new" generation that has only known CU football under Hawk. I was a casual CU fan before this, the heartbreaking losses to the Corn in the late 90's really hurt, and I went nuts in 2001 for 62-36 and 39-37. However, as a student at CU during such a miserable, embarrassing era of Buff football, I would love for the Buffs to return to the man who made CU football prestigious. I do have my concerns that nostalgia may not be the best method to produce renewed success, but every time I hear Mac speak these doubts disappear. He absolutely has the energy to coach, and he knows what needs to be done in terms of recruiting and putting together a great staff. Also, CU needs to establish its identity in the Pac-12 with a power running game imo.

Last edited:
That's part of it for me. Also, I think he is old and no one outside of Colorado knows who he is and even current colorado high school kids probably don't know who he is. I'm also not sure he'd run a clean program.

:wow:

I disagree with virtually everything you say here. It's not so much the players, but the HS coaches who need to know who you are. Believe me, the HS coaches all know who McCartney is. Not sure he'd run a clean program? :wtf:

Sorry, man. You lost me with this one. Everybody's entitled to his/her own opinion, but I just don't get where you're coming from on this.

30 and after a recent conversation with him HELL YES! He is the biggest motivator I have ever heard talk.
Kids will play and give 100% for him. The rest couldn't smooth a silk sheet if they had a late date with a hot iron.

MAC can turn a 50 year old Amish Nun into a late night pole dancer.

29 - no

I think 25 is an odd cut-off age for your poll. Mac left CU in 1994, 16 years ago ... a person who is 26 right now was 10 back then and maybe I just have a low opinion of myself, but back when I was 10, or 17-18 for that matter, I didn´t quite understand things like I do today. I think 40 would´ve been a better cut-off age. A person who is 40+ today was in his early/mid 20s (or even older if you´re DBT :p) back then and I think a person is far more capable of understanding things in his 20s than in his early teens.

Kind of why I chose that age (and sorry to the 25 year olds, you either need to get a year younger or wait a year and then you can vote). I wanted to get how those who were young fans or not year born yet felt about bringing back a guy they mostly only heard about. I'm 31 and I am for him (not my first or second choice, but if he is the man, I will not be upset), but I found it interesting that people were saying he was a pretty poor game day coach. I don't remember that at all, because I did not know football that well back then. I just remember that we were fast and good.

Whether you want Mac back or think he is too old/out of touch too long, there is still one fundamental truth about McCartney that trumps all. We owe pretty much all of the success we have enjoyed over the last 30 years (previous 5 years not included) to him. He has earned the right to come back if he chooses to do so. End of story.

Back