What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

AJ clinics the Riddler, and allbuffs talks kickers

He's got his own web site: http://www.kickerwilloliver.com/

Senior Season Kicking Stats
Field Goals: 6/9: 42, 40, 38, 33, 32, 31
FG Get Off Time Average: 1.19 seconds
Average Kickoff Distance: 68
Kickoffs: 85% Touchbacks
PATs: 25/25
Other Athletic Stats:
-Only 3 Sport Varsity sport sophomore, junior and planned senior at school; football, soccer & lacrosse
-Most valuable offensive player on lacrosse team, with 31 goals and 1 assist

1 pump chump

You left off the rest of my quote. Not just him ...any kicker for that matter. Nothin jumps out to me as a can't live without. My point was there are kickers ranked higher looking for schools, per Sailer. We can't coach the kickers we have. Yet we bring in another. If he was 100% and some long fg, I would say I can understand. With all our open holes and issues on the team I think this is a wasted scholy. He sounds like a good kid and a ok kicker, I hope he is all Pac 12, just curious as to this decision.

After Aric Goodman, I say use as many scholarships as we need to get it right.

And someone please teach Grossnickle how to punt.

After Aric Goodman, I say use as many scholarships as we need to get it right.

And someone please teach Grossnickle how to punt.
REALLY? We have enough kickers I would say that if we were talking d-line, o-line, wr...but for kickers? Don't think so...coach the ones we have!

I wouldn't be opposed to offering a kicker every year until we find one that works out. The days of relying on a walk-on to carry the load in the kicking game are over. Teams that try that approach will find themselves at the back end of a losing record and will be wondering what the hell just happened. The game of football is a game of field position, and kickers and punters can either give you good field position or crappy field position. What have our kickers and punters been doing for us lately?

I wouldn't be opposed to offering a kicker every year until we find one that works out. The days of relying on a walk-on to carry the load in the kicking game are over. Teams that try that approach will find themselves at the back end of a losing record and will be wondering what the hell just happened. The game of football is a game of field position, and kickers and punters can either give you good field position or crappy field position. What have our kickers and punters been doing for us lately?

I have no issue with spending scholarships on kickers, but it is not too much to ask that Embree and his coaching staff get this figured out quickly. If we seriously have to spend as many scholarships on kickers as we did during Hawkins' tenure, there is something wrong.

There is no reason for us to go into the season with three kickers on scholarship.

There is no reason for us to go into the season with three kickers on scholarship.

There's one reason: if two of the kickers suck.

On balance, I agree with you. I really hope they get this one right and we're not sitting here next year talking about adding another scholarship kicker to the roster.

So would that be the same with punters? I think 8-10 kickers and punters are too many. just my opinion. I think we find the ones we want and coach them. A coach standing behind the kicker and saying "good kick" when its made and "bad kick" when it's missed is NOT coaching. I think every other year for a kickee and punter is enough. none will be worth anything if we don't coach them. Coaching means knowing what they could be doing wrong mechanically.

On balance, I agree with you. I really hope they get this one right and we're not sitting here next year talking about adding another scholarship kicker to the roster.

Actually, you need three if even ONE of the two guys is "iffy." Because with the chance of a guy getting injured out there, you need a backup plan.

So would that be the same with punters? I think 8-10 kickers and punters are too many.

We have two on scholarship, one possible walk-on that may or may not be back, and the new commit.
Three, maybe four. Not 8-10 guys.

What I am saying is, this spring would be a good time to figure out if Castor can kick at all. He was a questionable offer to begin with and he has been unimpressive since he stepped on campus. If he cannot cut it, time to move on with the new guy and Grossnickle at punter.

What I am saying is, this spring would be a good time to figure out if Castor can kick at all. He was a questionable offer to begin with and he has been unimpressive since he stepped on campus. If he cannot cut it, time to move on with the new guy and Grossnickle at punter.

Except that Grossnickle and Castor have both been told to lace up and compete for all kicking and punting positions in the spring.

Punting is up in the air.

Pun intended.

So would that be the same with punters? I think 8-10 kickers and punters are too many. just my opinion. I think we find the ones we want and coach them. A coach standing behind the kicker and saying "good kick" when its made and "bad kick" when it's missed is NOT coaching. I think every other year for a kickee and punter is enough. none will be worth anything if we don't coach them. Coaching means knowing what they could be doing wrong mechanically.

If they can't get it right with this guy, then yes, keep at it until you find somebody who can do the job. I'm so sick of wincing every time our kicker or punter trots onto the field. I have cautious optimism that Embree and co will pay more attention to special teams. Of course, it would be damn near impossible to pay less attention to special teams than Hawk did.

Except that Grossnickle and Castor have both been told to lace up and compete for all kicking and punting positions in the spring.

Punting is up in the air.

Pun intended.

I guess that does not surprise me. I think if one of them struggles and cannot lock down either the PK or P job, it is probably time to move on though.

Is it me or did you guys just threadjack yourselves again? I mean, great kicking discussion and all, but don't see it pertaining to Will at all.

Welcome to the B-n-G, Mr. Oliver! We do suffer from Short Attention Span Syndrome around here, but in all we're somewhat sane. Looking forward to you splitting the uprights.

I guess that does not surprise me. I think if one of them struggles and cannot lock down either the PK or P job, it is probably time to move on though.

Are you suggesting Embree pull a scholarship?
Seems kind of bush league to me. I mean yeah, the kicking situation is dire, but I think you need to live up to your commitments, even if it wasn't you that made them.

Is it me or did you guys just threadjack yourselves again? I mean, great kicking discussion and all, but don't see it pertaining to Will at all.

Welcome to the B-n-G, Mr. Oliver! We do suffer from Short Attention Span Syndrome around here, but in all we're somewhat sane. Looking forward to you splitting the uprights.

I agree. Pretty much everything from page 3 on should be on the split thread.

Except YOUR lovely post, of course.

Kicking and Punting are different animals. You can't tie up extra scholarships for guys who can't win a job. If he can't compete at this level he can transfer or get injured....

Back