What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alabama cancels classes for bowl game

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
In case further evidence was needed that the universities of Alabama and Colorado have somewhat different levels of administrative and student/faculty support for their respective football programs:

Alabama cancels classes for BCS game

Alabama students and faculty won't have to worry about missing classes to attend the Jan. 7 national title game between the Crimson Tide and Texas in Pasadena, Calif.

The university canceled classes from Jan. 6-8.

The school said Tuesday that students will have to make up for the lost class time. They have two days of classes upon returning from Christmas break before getting the respite.

- Associated Press

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Kind of funny, but that move has kind of started a competition with UT to follow suit.

The talking heads in Austin have grabbed this and are running with it encouraging UT administration to do the same. It'll be interesting to see if UT ponies up. :smile2:

However as far as comparing 'Bama's dedication to their athletic programs to CU's (re: Benson/DiStefano's) dedication.... :sad2:

And University President's say that a playoff system would take away from the academic integrity of their school....

Puh-leaze, Bama is doing it right now.

My Bama colleague at work provides good counsel.

Saban is in the mNC game in year 3 of his contract.

His advice on bringing CU back: Spend the money. You'll be glad you did.

Saben's recruiting tactics are questionable at best. Athletes barely have to pass their classes to remain eligible to play on the team. Not saying that the powers at bama put's football above everything else, but it would appear that way. It was also last year that bama was one of 3 Div I schools that had one of the highest arrest rates of student athletes. I believe Penn St. & Georgia were 1 & 2

Right or wrong, someone recognizes the fact that good students want to go to good schools to get a good education AND identify with winning athletic programs. Increased applications from good students are strongly associated with winning athletic programs. Direct revenue and donations to athletics, and donations to the university in general are also strongly associated with winning athletic programs.
University administrators who embrace a winning culture know this. University administrators who embrace a losing culture, well... you be the judge.

Right or wrong, someone recognizes the fact that good students want to go to good schools to get a good education AND identify with winning athletic programs. Increased applications from good students are strongly associated with winning athletic programs. Direct revenue and donations to athletics, and donations to the university in general are also strongly associated with winning athletic programs.
University administrators who embrace a winning culture know this. University administrators who embrace a losing culture, well... you be the judge.

this is the truth, as usual.

as i communicated to our dear leaders recently, 50k fans do not fill folsom to watch a spelling bee. after we leave CU, while we are justifiably proud of its academic achievements, sports serve as our most significant and meaningful link to the school. there is conclusive proof that schools (especially state schools) that have successful sports programs also attract more and better qualified applications from prospective students. there is also solid proof that donations, across the board, go up.

Even if we did bring in a big name coach the support from the admin and alums is not anywhere near the support of Bama. 12 MNCs with a shot at 13 (they claim 12, some of those are questionable). They also live in a talent rich area with Georgia and Florida nearby and solid in-state recruits (Julio Jones). We bring in a good coach and we'll be a force in the North, but it'll take a while to become a national force because it'll be tough to (re)establish pipelines to TX.

Saben's recruiting tactics are questionable at best. Athletes barely have to pass their classes to remain eligible to play on the team. Not saying that the powers at bama put's football above everything else, but it would appear that way. It was also last year that bama was one of 3 Div I schools that had one of the highest arrest rates of student athletes. I believe Penn St. & Georgia were 1 & 2

2009 Fulmer Cup

No doubt that the Tide have a rich and contentious history of appearing in papers for the wrong reasons. In the 2009 Fulmer Cup rankings, Alabama checks in with a lowely #44th spot.

If anything, Alabama and Saban prove that a team can come back from scandal, not have players get arrested, and return to glory.

Who has classes January 6-8? UT usually doesn't start until after the MLK holiday, or the week before at the very earliest.

there is conclusive proof that schools (especially state schools) that have successful sports programs also attract more and better qualified applications from prospective students. there is also solid proof that donations, across the board, go up.

I question that statement. It sounds nice, but I don't believe it. Only a small percentage of schools run athletics in the black, most are in the red. There is a long list of great schools that have average to poor sports, including big state schools. Doesn't seem like any clear correlation to me. Some great schools have great sports, some don't. I'm sure one can spin the numbers to prove any point they want, but it's not stand out obvious to me.

Speaking personally, the FB program did not influence the quality of my education, but it most certainly influenced the quality of my college experience.

Ski-U Boulder has ample lifestyle experiences at it's disposal, which is why so many OOS SAT smart/GPA average kids flock there.

It would be nice to pass on the legacy of a ranked FB program to current and future students, so as to further enhance their experience.

I think most everyone would LOVE to have a great football program, but when it comes down to actually making life decisions on an individual basis that kind of thing is way down the list, if on the list at all.

You have to remove the football fan glasses and look at raw numbers. For one, consider that half (or more) of the students are female. The number of females in the entire U.S. that are going to be meaningfully influenced by the quality of football when choosing thier university is probably close to zero.

I think most everyone would LOVE to have a great football program, but when it comes down to actually making life decisions on an individual basis that kind of thing is way down the list, if on the list at all.

You have to remove the football fan glasses and look at raw numbers. For one, consider that half (or more) of the students are female. The number of females in the entire U.S. that are going to be meaningfully influenced by the quality of football when choosing thier university is probably close to zero.
:confused:

Have you ever been to a CU game in September?

I've been a faculty member at a midwestern university for 30 years. It is well-known that donations to the university in general increase with successful athletics. The number of fannies in the seats increases with winning teams and that is obviously related to an increase in revenue. Donations to the athletic department also increase. A few years ago when the basketball team at my university went to the final four, applications to the university hit a record level in the following year and remained up for several years. The university had to turn down many qualified applicants.

Moreover, college students are becoming more and more interested in their own recreational sports activity across the country. I'm a gym rat myself and I have observed the trend. I'm also on the faculty advisory board for recreational sports. The empirical data collected by recreational sports on facility usage at my university and other universities across the country back this up. The recreational sports facility has shown a large increase in student usage over the last 5-10 years. And yes, there are just as many, if not more females attending college than males. And there are just as many, if not more females at the gym than males. Intramural participation, the number of club sports available and participation in club sports have all increased. It is clear that both male and female students identify with successful varsity athletics and they are more likely to donate to the university following graduation.

I'm sure there are some exceptions, but the trends I have mentioned here are true.

What I'm getting at is that there are a TON of females at those games. Girls like football, too (so long as it's not too cold).

You are correct. Girls like football.

As I mentioned in my post a few minutes ago, college females have become very conscious of their physical image. They like working out. They like how they feel and how their bodies look when they are in shape. They more easily identify with and enjoy attending varsity athletics when they are in shape themselves.

What I'm getting at is that there are a TON of females at those games. Girls like football, too (so long as it's not too cold).

That's my point.

Yes, people enjoy football and love going to games, even chicks.

But it's not a factor in the decision making process of where to attend school, most especially for girls.

2009 Fulmer Cup

No doubt that the Tide have a rich and contentious history of appearing in papers for the wrong reasons. In the 2009 Fulmer Cup rankings, Alabama checks in with a lowely #44th spot.

If anything, Alabama and Saban prove that a team can come back from scandal, not have players get arrested, and return to glory.

I stand corrected. According to the fulmer cup, it looks like my stats were backwards.

Alabama was #1 in 2008

Big wheels keep on turning
Carry me home to see my kin
Singing songs about the Southland
I miss Alabamy once again
And I think its a sin, yes

Females love football in the south. I lived in Austin and even the grannies were often heard discussing the Horns.

Who cares if they cancel classes and make it up later in the year?? Are we jealous or complaining?

Back