What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alfred Williams

2HellNback

is going for the JUGULAR on 104.3FM the Fan...

Not just for Hawkins, but is more devout about getting Bohn out. He says AD's should only get one shot at hiring, and he shouldn't be able to make this decision and that he needs to go.

Your thoughts?

He wants Mac as AD. Is this even possible?

That concerns me considering he has publicly lent out his support for Squawkins... Not sure I would trust him to make that decision either, I fear he would bring in a "CU" guy, who may not be able to keep up with the new world of college football. That may be too much, I don't know why, I like Bohn...

But Al makes good points, Bohn has had an extremely bad hiring history. :sad1:

is going for the JUGULAR on 104.3FM the Fan...

Not just for Hawkins, but is more devout about getting Bohn out. He says AD's should only get one shot at hiring, and he shouldn't be able to make this decision and that he needs to go.

Your thoughts?

I was just a lil kid when Coach Mac was hired, but wasn't he the A.D.'s second chance hire after Fairbanks?

Seems like too much hellfire and brimstone from a pissed off Buff. I wouldn't expect anything else from Alfred though!

Let's not burn the whole state down in the wildfire needed to clear the Hawkins era out.

i don't really want bohn fired (unless he allows dan hawkins to stay for another year). but the stuff he's been saying this year has really pissed me off. trying to convince the fans that hawkins is still the right coach for cu (we aren't morons). saying that his goal is to have a football team that is in the upper half of the big 12 (way to reach for the stars). criticizing the fans for not donating more (kinda hard to want to donate when the program has finished in the bottom half of division 1 football for 4 straight years).

Let's just hope Bohn learned something from the Ricardo Patton situation. If he doesn't replace Hawk he'll essentially be in the same spot, only this time with the pride and cash cow of the CUAD.

I think Alfred is employing a good strategy with his comments. He wants change, so is it better to apply pressure to Hawkins or is better to start applying pressure to Bohn directly? If I were the AD, I'd start getting nervous when the fingers started pointing my way. Alfred knows this and is using his radio show as the bully pulpit.

However, I think the substance of the point is off. Bohn is ultimately responsible for the entire AD, but I am not one to criticize his decisions yet. I thought Hawkins was a good hire when it was made, and he's done some good things since he's been here. I supported the contract extension when it was made. Bohn was wrong and so was I, but it did seem like a good idea at the time.

I am mystified by the "none of his hires have worked out" comments. Hawkins has surely not worked out, but it's waaay too early to make that decision on Coach Buzz. Whatever piss poor state the football program was in, it was a damn sight better than the b-ball program, which has pretty much been a laughing stock for 30 years (sans a few years with players like Vandivier and much later Billups). Please don't bring up women's basketball or anything else. Those are non-revenue sports that get a looooong leash.

I loved the H-boys, but Alfred....you're selling and I'm not buying on this one.

You can take this for whatever it's worth, but this was posted on BG Brooks column on cubuffs.com I'm sure some of you read it already.

NO WORRIES? Hawkins said on the Big 12 teleconference he was "not at all" concerned about retaining his job, and he reiterated his belief again following his weekly press luncheon.
He said athletic director Mike Bohn and Chancellor Phil DiStefano "have been great. Both have been very supportive. I think they understand the nature and scope of job, what has gone on here . . . in terms of helping things get back on track, we've had to undertake a number of things."
Bohn reiterated his backing of Hawkins, adding there is no timeline for making a decision on Hawkins' future because his football coach is under contract through 2012.

Like the admins at CU are going to fire Bohn, anyway.

He has the AD operating better than it has since Marolt's early days. They aren't going to can him.

Dick Tharp had to quit on his own, before we could get rid of him.

Bohn is perfectly safe.

I am sure if Bohn hires Embree- Al will praise the hire.

bingo..

this is actually the scary part now.. Will Bohn feel the pressure from the ex-players with the next hire and just please by hiring Embree and letting other good candidates just go right by us?

embree and eb will be the choice of the ex-players

So you think an AD only gets one chance to make a hire?

No. That's the opposite of what I think and why I am saying that Alfred is wrong.

Could you imagine how often ADs would get fired if the rule was the football coach had to be successful or the AD automatically gets fired (no second chances no matter what else has happened in the athletic department). Alfred's assertion is asinine.

:iagree:

So you think an AD only gets one chance to make a hire? Everyone, or almost, thought Hawkins was a home run hire. So this is just posturing.

You are completely correct. When Hawkins was hired virtually everybody (including me) thought it was a home run hire. Hawkins was the hot name in the country and his hiring was nationally considered a coup for CU. Unfortunately it has not worked out and shows no sign of ever working out.

This is not that uncommon. Look at the history of OU before Stoops, U$C before Carrol, Notre Dame since Holtz, Alabama after the Bear, etc. This is not an exact science or anything close to it.

Bohn also hired Buzz for the BB program. Yes the program sucks but it has sucked for a long, long time. Patton left it in shambles and Buzz was left to pick up the pieces. From what I saw last year this team was much better coached than at any time under Patton, it simply did not have the physical talent to compete in the Big XII (or the Big Sky for that matter.) What I saw the other night tells me that we are still way behind on the talent curve but significantly ahead of where we were last year. Buzz may not be able to turn this thing around but so far he is making significant progress.

As to the women's sports, again the programs were in a condition of serious neglect. I have no idea if Bohn's hires are any good but let's not make things out to be different than they are to support a point.

I can't really blame Bohn for hiring Hawk, as a few have pointed out, I think we all thought it was a good hire. His past hires at other schools worries me, but we must also remember he was hiring to schools that aren't much for football. It's not like he had a wealth of options to choose from like he has at CU. I think he'll get it right this time, if not, then he can find the exit.

Alfred is passionate about the Buffs and I appreciate his opinion. His conversation with Woelk was pretty good (when the flipping moron dmac wasn't interupting). Woelk addressed the very point that Bohn made a few weeks ago: that both the Texas and Oklahoma ADs had multiple chances to hire the right coach. I have no idea why that idiot dmac is on the air. He is absurdly ill informed about sports, and if his schtick is comedy, that's not working either. Increasingly I find myself drifting to 1510. Listened today because Woelk was on.

I think Dodds has been the AD at Texas for quite a while.

But OU went through AD's almost as fast as they went through head coaches. The AD who hired Howard Schnellenberger was Donnie Duncan (the story of that particular hiring is CLASSIC). Steve Owens then hired John Blake. One of Joe Castiglione's first acts as athletic director was to fire John Blake - and his first hire was Bob Stoops.

I love Al, but he sometimes says some pretty dumb **** on that show. Just being a former player doesn't mean he knows everything. Firing Bohn at this point makes no sense whatsoever.

Al also said Dave Logan would be a great hire. :lol:

Al isn't the sharpest cat, and sometimes he just gets emotional

Al has had it in for Hawkins and Bohn since Gary Barnett was fired. I don't think that makes him an idiot, just a passionate friend.

I love Al, but he sometimes says some pretty dumb **** on that show. Just being a former player doesn't mean he knows everything. Firing Bohn at this point makes no sense whatsoever.

Al also said Dave Logan would be a great hire. :lol:

I love Al as a Buff and think he keeps the program's name out there in the general media. However, how much has he helped the program? I don't know.

I am getting sick of these radio stations (1510 and 104.3) rolling out one ex-player alumni after another complaining about Hawkins and the state of the program. How many of them are donating money, actively showing up at practice, etc? A lot of guys played pro ball, are prominent members of the media and community. I would think they would be a great help, but seem to be content complaining when they get on the radio.

Back