What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in One Tailgating Thread (Pruned from Construction Thread)

Dealer offered me $11.9k in October when I was getting it winterized. He was already discounting for the model year changeover and time value of cash for having to just sit on it for 6+ months before the buying demand picks up in the spring, so I figured I could sit on it just as easily and try again when they were more interested. He told me I could probably sell it on Craig's List in a week at $14.9k, but the wife hates the idea of dealing with random people on something bigger than a couple of hundred bucks.

Something between those two numbers would work for me.

Can the tailgating and RV sales conversation be trimmed from the construction update thread please?

I like the idea of an overnight lot. Simple logic says that it would be an opportunity for the AD to make some significant extra $$$. At the same time the cost of renting one of those spots (or a couple for the serious spenders) iis going to exclude most of those who would cause the kind of issues that administrators would worry about.

These are also often the same people who you want having a good time at games, they can afford and are willing to make significant donations.

I like the idea of an overnight lot. Simple logic says that it would be an opportunity for the AD to make some significant extra $$$. At the same time the cost of renting one of those spots (or a couple for the serious spenders) iis going to exclude most of those who would cause the kind of issues that administrators would worry about.

These are also often the same people who you want having a good time at games, they can afford and are willing to make significant donations.

Make the lot by the parking garage $40 for overnight use, includes day of parking. May have to upgrade and add a bathroom or something out there though

Make the lot by the parking garage $40 for overnight use, includes day of parking. May have to upgrade and add a bathroom or something out there though

I would guess that they could get a lot more than $40 for this.

I believe you, but I'm curious as to which universities? Are all their stadiums on campus like Folsom and are the tailgating areas in buys student traffic areas?

They've already allowed it at the friggin' AFA, and if I'm not mistaken that's technically a military installation: http://www.themw.com/#!/news-detail/sports-m-footbl-spec-rel-091912aaf

View attachment 15737View attachment 15738
I'm selling my 2010 Heartland Edge M22 this spring if your timeline changes.

That's a great layout for a family w/ two small kiddos. Nice.

Interesting that Franklin Field is still being thought of as a tailgating option. I heard not to expect to be able to do tailgating outside at Franklin anymore because it is unlikely that MM is going to be happy about people trashing his practice fields. However, the parking garage is a great idea since they do plan on having tailgating inside the indoor practice facility. Gold lot becomes parking in garage, people load their tailgating gear in the elevator and send it on up to the field level. Then Buff Walk is right there too.

If they put an artifical surface on Franklin, it won't be a problem. They probably should have done that about 20 years ago anyway.

How about tailgate parking on our current practice fields? Is that an option? Seems like a great spot

How about tailgate parking on our current practice fields? Is that an option? Seems like a great spot

It is a great spot, and it's something they should allow. I don't know what the long range plan is, though. The only problem with that spot is that it's a bitch on wheels to get out of there after games. It's hard to turn left onto Folsom from that access road, and turning right puts you right in the teeth of the stadium traffic coming out of the rest of the lots.

That's a great layout for a family w/ two small kiddos. Nice.
We have been through it all and learned many tough lessons about towing and camping. We previously had a pop-up, that drove me insane because there wasn't enough room for all our crap. Then we had a 8,000 pound travel trailer followed by a 6,500 pound travel trailer. Both required a 3/4 ton diesel to tow properly in the mountains. We blew out a gas Ford Expedition twice trying to manage towing them and ended up with a diesel Excursion. The Excursion was so big, neither my wife nor myself wanted to drive it daily in Denver for work. If anyone is interested in getting in to towing a camper, please do talk to me first. I don't even want to think what all that buying and selling cost me over 6-8 years - I can help you get set up right the first time so you do not make our mistakes!

This trailer is the perfect compromise. At 4800 pounds gross (or max) weight, we can tow it without issue with a Toyota Sequoia gasser before and now a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel. It has just enough room for all the stuff we bring camping. We just started vacationing differently and what once got multiple weekends plus a full week summer vacation has dropped back to a handful of weekends each year. This leads me to be interested in off loading it because I don't feel like the effort of maintaining it is worth it for the limited use.

We have been through it all and learned many tough lessons about towing and camping. We previously had a pop-up, that drove me insane because there wasn't enough room for all our crap. Then we had a 8,000 pound travel trailer followed by a 6,500 pound travel trailer. Both required a 3/4 ton diesel to tow properly in the mountains. We blew out a gas Ford Expedition twice trying to manage towing them and ended up with a diesel Excursion. The Excursion was so big, neither my wife nor myself wanted to drive it daily in Denver for work. If anyone is interested in getting in to towing a camper, please do talk to me first. I don't even want to think what all that buying and selling cost me over 6-8 years - I can help you get set up right the first time so you do not make our mistakes!

This trailer is the perfect compromise. At 4800 pounds gross (or max) weight, we can tow it without issue with a Toyota Sequoia gasser before and now a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel. It has just enough room for all the stuff we bring camping. We just started vacationing differently and what once got multiple weekends plus a full week summer vacation has dropped back to a handful of weekends each year. This leads me to be interested in off loading it because I don't feel like the effort of maintaining it is worth it for the limited use.

Great info, thanks highlander. Can you tow that baby with a Toyota Highlander?

Great info, thanks highlander. Can you tow that baby with a Toyota Highlander?
I don't know the Highlander tow rating. It may be 5k pounds like an Ford Explorer or a Honda Pilot. That would lead you to believe that yes you can, but the devil is in the details.

Tow rating assumes a 150 pound driver and a full tank of gas with nothing else in the vehicle. It is also usually measured with the lowest trim level (i.e. lightest weight model). With a 5k pound tow rating, you could survive towing around Denver, but would trash your vehicle and be a safety hazard in the mountains. They have a new voluntary tow rating system called J2807 (you can google it) but it is really for the 3/4 ton and bigger trucks. Let's put it this way, when Toyota voluntarily used the system, the J2807 tow rating of the Sequoia went from 9,000 to 6,500 pounds, if I recall correctly.

My rule of thumb because of the mountains is that whatever the tow rating is for the vehicle, subtract 30%. My Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel is rated at 7200 pounds, so 30% less is 5040, and sure enough, I can tow my 4800 pound max weight trailer everywhere without overheating or mechanical issues. I do get bogged down to under 50 mph coming back up to the Eisenhower Tunnel from Silverthorne and even slower when I headed out to Silverton and managed 3 different passes on state highways.

You really have to do some research on this to avoid all my mistakes! :)

Those lower fields are being traded to the Rec Center for Club Sports. Franklin was given to the Ath Dept in exchange for the lower fields. I dont see them allowing parking on those but you never know.

[MENTION=6371]Highlander[/MENTION] - so just on a quick Google search, it looks like my 2012 F-150 EcoBoost has a 11,300 pound towing capacity, so even using your calculation, the trailer your selling would be no issue. How would it fit wifey, me, and 3 boys? Does that dining table turn into a bed?

This club sports crap has me thinking about getting one.

[MENTION=6371]Highlander[/MENTION] - so just on a quick Google search, it looks like my 2012 F-150 EcoBoost has a 11,300 pound towing capacity, so even using your calculation, the trailer your selling would be no issue. How would it fit wifey, me, and 3 boys? Does that dining table turn into a bed?

You should.

Oh, and to comment on "getting to the big time" in tailgating. Anyone who was at the Rogue CU Alumni Tailgate in Austin in 2009 need look no further. Not at what the Austin Alumni Club did, but what the sea of burnt orange around us did.

People staked out their spots starting Monday night, trailers with towed smokers showed up starting Wednesday evening and the party commenced from there and this was for COLORADO WHEN WE SUCKED PEOPLE! We had to pay a homeless drunk $50 to ensure our plot on 15ht and Trinity was protected for the Saturday festivities.

All you wankers who say our tailgating atmosphere is just fine the way it is don't know shee-at.

@Highlander - so just on a quick Google search, it looks like my 2012 F-150 EcoBoost has a 11,300 pound towing capacity, so even using your calculation, the trailer your selling would be no issue. How would it fit wifey, me, and 3 boys? Does that dining table turn into a bed?

You would have zero issues towing - you would be going above the speed limit anywhere - and be happy about it!

Sleeps 4 very comfortably. The coach does not pull out (but the U-Shape is great for fitting tons of people - I believe we have had 3 adults and 3 kids around it). For the 3rd child, you are looking at 3 options:
1) Head to two with one of the others in one of the bunks
2) A blow up mattress (plenty of floor space)
3) Sleeping on the long middle section of the coach - possibly with one of those kid rail guards to keep them from falling out if that is a concern. It's pretty long - pushing 6 feet.

I have seen some triple bunks while doing my research, but I can't recall makes and models or weights of the ones that had triple bunks. Also, a non-u-shaped coach will typically fold out, so keep that in mind as you look for options.

Back