What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in one, who should CU hire thread...

My top choices are either a spread option HC or a top program DC. If we go the offensive-minded route with a Koetter or Dykes hire, better find out who his defensive connections are he could bring here as coordinator. Vice versa for selecting a defensive Strong or Diaco candidate and making sure he has a plan on the offensive side. Wouldn't accept Dykes unless he had a stronger defensive mind on his staff than what the results at La. Tech are showing.

Calhoun would be disappointing on two fronts: Propagating Mike Bohn's affinity for regional coaching searches and bringing in someone whose offense we should not be recruiting athletes to in the PAC. Triple options are great to fool some teams initially and get us bowl eligible but I don't see any Rose Bowls from playing that style.

Last edited:
Petrino,Mac,Chizik,Calhoun,Some NFL coach. Any coach that isnt a big name coach is unacceptable in my opinion.

This. Harbaugh left and they hardly missed a beat. Luck left and they hardly missed a beat. They're also recruiting very well. I don't seem them slipping at all.

True they're playing we'll and those guys might be great coaches, but they also took over a winner. It's a lot easier to take the keys to a Ferrari and not **** it up than to build a Ferrari.

Of the candidates being mentioned the most - Dykes, DeRuyter, Calhoun, Wilcox, Diaco - DeRuyter probably has the best resume by a slight margin. Keep in mind there's going to be stiff competition for these same candidates with all the openings out there, particularly Dykes, DeRuyter and Diaco.

Well, I thought EB would make a great HC with Embree on staff a few years ago and I almost got my wish so I am not going to drop any names. I do hope they go for either a former HC that has built something into a top 25 somewhere, or a coordinator from a top/hot BCS school or NFL team.

Either way, I am really looking forward to these next few weeks and hope things have already been in motion behind the scenes instead of starting tomorrow after the presser.

And please stop even mentioning Logan in a joking manner. Anything other than offering him a recruiting job or maybe a position job is nonsense.

True they're playing we'll and those guys might be great coaches, but they also took over a winner. It's a lot easier to take the keys to a Ferrari and not **** it up than to build a Ferrari.

I agree with that. Not sure Mason is the right guy for the job, just someone that might be worth talking to.

Dave Doeren - Head Coach Northern Illinois

1990-93 Linebacker at Drake
1995-97 Drake (LB Coach)
1998-99 USC (Graduate Assistant)
2000-01 Montana (LB Coach) Won 1-AA National Championship
2002-05 Kansas (LB Coach) Under Mangino, defense became stingy during his tenure
2006-07 Wisconsin (LB Coach and Co-Defensive Coordinator with Mike Hankwitz)
2008-10 Wisconsin (Defensive Coordinator after Hankwitz fired)
2011-12 Northern Illinois (Head Coach) Taking over for Jerry Kill

Record as head coach:
2011 11-3
2012 11-1

Dave Doeren's first season as head coach of the Northern Illinois University football program could not have gone much better.

In his first season as head coach of the Northern Illinois University football program, Dave Doeren and his Huskies achieved milestones rarely reached over the course of a career, let alone a single season.
Doeren's first year at the helm of a program saw NIU win the school's first Mid-American Conference Championship since 1983, earn its second straight bowl victory and close out the year with nine straight victories en route to tying the school record with 11 wins.
Following the season, five members of the 2011 Huskie team inked contracts with National Football League teams, including seventh-round draft choice and record-setting quarterback Chandler Harnish. Off the field, the Huskies' Academic Progress Rate (APR), the NCAA's primary academic measurement tool, ranks in the Top Five in the country.

Northern Illinois' 2011 season was not without its challenges for the first-year coach. Before the season began, he dealt with the loss of three defensive starters, leaving the Huskies with just two returning starters on defense entering the season. By the end of the year, that oft-maligned unit allowed just seven second-half points in the Huskies' comeback victories in the MAC Championship and GoDaddy.com Bowl while intercepting six passes in the two games.
Doeren saw three Huskies - Harnish, offensive tackle Trevor Olson and center Scott Wedige - earn All-America honors, while Harnish was named a national Scholar-Athlete Award Winner by the National Football Foundation and earned the MAC's Vern Smith Leadership Award as league MVP.
In taking over a senior-laden team, Doeren earned his new squad's respect and trust soon after his arrival on campus in January 2011 as the staff and coaches came together in pursuit of a championship. NIU Associate Vice-President and Director of Athletics Jeff Compher, who announced Doeren's hiring on Dec. 13, 2010, said Doeren's approach resulted in the smoothest coaching staff transition he had ever seen.

The Kansas native came to NIU after completing his fifth season at Wisconsin, where he served as defensive coordinator along with linebackers coach, with a trip to the 2011 Rose Bowl. In all, he helped take teams to eight bowl games and two national championship contests as an assistant. During Doeren's time at Wisconsin, the Badgers posted a 49-15 overall record and played in the Champs Sports Bowl (twice), Outback Bowl and Capital One Bowl.
In January of 2008, Doeren added defensive coordinator duties to his assignment as linebackers coach after spending his first two seasons in Madison as the Badgers' co-defensive coordinator, linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator. The Shawnee Mission, Kansas native also served on successful coaching staffs at Kansas (2002-05), Montana (2000-01), USC (1998-99) and Drake (1995-97), his alma mater. He began his coaching career at Shawnee Mission Northwest High School in Shawnee, Kansas. His UW defenses were consistently ranked in the national top 25 in NCAA defensive categories. The 2010 Wisconsin defense ranked 20th in the country in total defense and in the Top 30 in both rushing and scoring defense. In 2009, Wisconsin led the Big Ten and ranked fifth in the country in rushing defense. The Badgers held each of their last 10 opponents in 2009 to less than 100 yards rushing, the longest streak in school history. Wisconsin led the nation in pass efficiency defense in 2006 and was the No. 2 scoring defense in the country.

His pupils at Wisconsin included National Football League linebackers Jonathan Casillas of the New Orleans Saints and DeAndre Levy, the Detroit Lions' middle linebacker. Badgers' linebacker Chris Borland earned 2009 Big Ten Defensive Freshman of the Year honors.
Doeren arrived at Wisconsin after four seasons (2002-05) at the University of Kansas. He was the linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator for three seasons before being promoted to co-defensive coordinator. The Jayhawks led the Big 12 Conference and ranked No. 3 nationally in rushing defense in 2005 and were 11th nationally in total defense.

Doeren coached the secondary at NCAA Division I-AA (now Football Championship Subdivision) power Montana for two seasons and was the Grizzlies' recruiting coordinator for one year. Montana won the I-AA national championship in 2001 and went 28-3 with two conference titles in Doeren's two seasons there.
Doeren's bowl experience goes back to his days as a graduate assistant at Southern California (USC) when the Trojans played in the 1998 Sun Bowl. The Trojans led the nation in interceptions that year with 24, while the 1999 squad led the nation in turnover margin.
He started his college coaching career as an assistant at Drake from 1995-97, where he coached linebackers before adding defensive coordinator chores in 1997. A four-year letterwinner at Drake (1990-93), Doeren earned Academic All-America honors as a senior and graduated with a bachelor's degree in pre-medical biology and a master's in educational leadership.

All I know is whoever it is I am NOT gonna listen to ANY of the hype! I was totally taken by it when Hawkins was hired and I was Duped by it with Embree. Of course I want a very qualified and successful person to take over but NOTHING that that person has done before CU matters to me. I just want to see results at CU!

This hire is not only crucial for Mike Bohn, it is crucial for CU football. It could be devastating if three hires in a row are bad. GET IT RIGHT MIKE!

All I know is whoever it is I am NOT gonna listen to ANY of the hype! I was totally taken by it when Hawkins was hired and I was Duped by it with Embree. Of course I want a very qualified and successful person to take over but NOTHING that that person has done before CU matters to me. I just want to see results at CU!

This hire is not only crucial for Mike Bohn, it is crucial for CU football. It could be devastating if three hires in a row are bad. GET IT RIGHT MIKE!

It's called AA for Koolaid.

When the team you love wins 7 games you have permission to drink again. But not a drop until 7 wins. None.

Some names that have likely already been mentioned, but here we go:

Current HCs:
Tim DeRuyter, Fresno State
Dave Doeren, Northern Illinois
Mike MacIntyre, SJSU
Willie Taggart, WKU
Sonny Dykes, LT
Jeff Tedford, Cal (recently fired)
Troy Calhoun, AF
Gary Anderson, Utah State
Paul Rhoads, Iowa State (highly unlikely)

* Not including guys like Briles (Baylor), Strong (Louisville), Franklin (Vandy), Mullen (Miss St), Petersen (Boise St), Patterson (TCU), Fitzgerald (NW), Malzahn (Ark St), Petrino (formerly Ark), Jones (Cincy) and Golden (Miami) as they are unlikely options due to better jobs currently or they will receive better offers. Sad but true.

Current DCs:
Justin Wilcox, Washington
Derek Mason, Stanford
Bob Diaco, Notre Dame (Purdue, BC more likely)
Kirby Smart, Alabama (close to no chance, likely take an SEC gig)
Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State
Nick Aliotti, Oregon
Mark Stoops, FSU (unlikely)

Current OCs:
Doug Nussmeier, Alabama
Noel Mazzone, UCLA
Chad Morris, Clemson
Pep Hamilton, Stanford
Brent Pease, Florida
Mark Helfrich, Oregon

Current NFL position coaches with no OC/DC/HC experience...JK :thumbsup:

Also, no former HCs or coaches out of the game (ex: Fulmer, Leavitt, Mangino) were included as I expect the next guy to have HC, DC or OC experience in recent seasons.

I'd single out DeRuyter, MacIntyre (SJSU had NOTHING when he arrived), Doeren, Nussmeier, Wilcox as likely options...who knows

GO BUFFS!

List should be pretty much the same as Cal's (sans Chris Petersen). MacIntyre and Andersen have all done something with nothing, Dykes has done the same at Louisiana Tech and he was OC at Zona so he knows the West Coast at least a little bit. Willie Taggart at Western Kentucky has made chicken salad out of chicken s*** and is a Stanford guy so he knows his way around. None of them look bad.

I believe Tedford's buyout is reduced by the amount of his salary if he takes another job in the NCAA so if that's true he might do the broadcasting thing for a little while instead of essentially coaching for free.

I wouldn't be afraid to look to people with no ties to CU either. Both UCLA and Arizona did that last offseason, the Bruins for the first time in decades, and it appears to be working out well for them. A former Buff might love the program more but that won't mean much if he doesn't know what to do with it.

Some names that have likely already been mentioned, but here we go:

Current HCs:
Tim DeRuyter, Fresno State
Dave Doeren, Northern Illinois
Mike MacIntyre, SJSU
Willie Taggart, WKU
Sonny Dykes, LT
Jeff Tedford, Cal (recently fired)
Troy Calhoun, AF
Gary Anderson, Utah State
Paul Rhoads, Iowa State (highly unlikely)

* Not including guys like Briles (Baylor), Strong (Louisville), Franklin (Vandy), Mullen (Miss St), Petersen (Boise St), Patterson (TCU), Fitzgerald (NW), Malzahn (Ark St), Petrino (formerly Ark), Jones (Cincy) and Golden (Miami) as they are unlikely options due to better jobs currently or they will receive better offers. Sad but true.

Current DCs:
Justin Wilcox, Washington
Derek Mason, Stanford
Bob Diaco, Notre Dame (Purdue, BC more likely)
Kirby Smart, Alabama (close to no chance, likely take an SEC gig)
Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State
Nick Aliotti, Oregon
Mark Stoops, FSU (unlikely)

Current OCs:
Doug Nussmeier, Alabama
Noel Mazzone, UCLA
Chad Morris, Clemson
Pep Hamilton, Stanford
Brent Pease, Florida
Mark Helfrich, Oregon

Current NFL position coaches with no OC/DC/HC experience...JK :thumbsup:

Also, no former HCs or coaches out of the game (ex: Fulmer, Leavitt, Mangino) were included as I expect the next guy to have HC, DC or OC experience in recent seasons.

I'd single out DeRuyter, MacIntyre (SJSU had NOTHING when he arrived), Doeren, Nussmeier, Wilcox as likely options...who knows

GO BUFFS!
Good list. My only addition would be John Chavis, DC at LSU. Les Miles may help talk him into it :)

Criteria- big name to instantly help recruiting OR successful HC with average talent OR proven ability to beat Oregon.

Last edited:
Current HCs that could come that I'm fine with:
Doeren (great resume)
Dykes
Taggart
Don Treadwell
Solich

Former coaches:
Pat Hill

Last edited:
Good list. My only addition would be John Chavis, DC at LSU. Les Miles may help talk him into it :)

Criteria- big name to instantly help recruiting OR successful HC with average talent OR proven ability to beat Oregon.

Not sure beating Oregon should be part of the criteria. Look what happened to USC when they spent all year planning to beat Oregon.

Back