What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All Time Buffs Basketball Lineup - 8 players

Billups
Meely
Charlton
Humphries
Higgins
Scott
Haldorson
Burks

The one I was most torn about leaving off this list was Vandiver.

In the grand scheme I feel that Carlon Brown will be under valued in these discussions. He only had the one year in the program program, and it certainly was a career year. Really he and that championship team jump started the success and elevated expectations we now have in basketball since moving to the Pac12.

Not that it can't be brought up again, but there have been threads discussing this before. The first question is whether or not you're asking for a top 8 of favorite players, or trying to get a top 8 to put on the court. I assume the latter, so:

Meely and Haldorson up front - historically two of our greatest players, and must give some leeway for competition level back in the day.
Chauncey at point - not sure anyone argues this.
I put Wedman on wing, bc the guy could shoot.
Burks at two, bc need a scorer that get his own shot. However, I'm very tempted to put Boyce here as well. He was great, and he meant more to CU imo than Burks.

Off bench, I take Humphries and Boyce as backups off bench.
The decision left is Charlton or Vandiver. I go with Vandiver, bc I want a big.

after the season I think White needs to be included. We haven't had too many players like him.

Not that it can't be brought up again, but there have been threads discussing this before. The first question is whether or not you're asking for a top 8 of favorite players, or trying to get a top 8 to put on the court. I assume the latter, so:

Meely and Haldorson up front - historically two of our greatest players, and must give some leeway for competition level back in the day.
Chauncey at point - not sure anyone argues this.
I put Wedman on wing, bc the guy could shoot.
Burks at two, bc need a scorer that get his own shot. However, I'm very tempted to put Boyce here as well. He was great, and he meant more to CU imo than Burks.

Off bench, I take Humphries and Boyce as backups off bench.
The decision left is Charlton or Vandiver. I go with Vandiver, bc I want a big.

I really like where you went with this. I don't think there is really much argument with Meely, he is a guy that could play in any era and in my mind he is far and away the best player in CU history. Haldorson is probably a bit more controversial, but it is really hard to compare Halderson, Vandiver, Roberson, Scott and yes even Harrison (I know where some of you will take this, because he was just frustrating as all heck to watch). Chauncey is undeniable and I know some of you might say he should be CU's number one over all. Wedman was great at CU (Again some might say the best ever at CU, but he is third on my list) and excellent (all star) in the NBA, so tough to argue with him either. Burks, Humphries or Dinwiddie could all be your two guard (Though Humphries and Dinwiddie both played a ton of point, both could shoot,score and defend from the two without issues). What is really nice about this list is that we have had several other very good players that aren't on my list that others mentioned. Sometimes people don't realize the level of hoops talent that has passed through CU.

Put whatever 5 together you want, but for me there are 3 guys who are essential to that starting 5: Chauncey, Meely and Dre. Dre doesn't get enough love because he was elite at everything except scoring.

Chauncey
Meely
Birdie
Humphries
Boyce
Dre
Roby

**** if I can figure out the last spot. Burks, Mayor, Higgins, Vandiver.... Gun to head, I'd probably go Burks, but...

G- Chauncey Billups
G- Donnie Boyce
F- Alec Burks
F- Josh Scott
C- Shaun Vandiver
G- Jay Humphries
F- Cliff Meely
#8- ??

The #8 spot is debatable depending on how one wants to play. If you want to add more size, defense and rebounding, then one could look at Andre Roberson or possibly even Stephane Pelle. Pelle is a player often overlooked but one who I think was equally as good as Roberson. Otherwise, four other candidates that I like are Dinwiddie, Higgins, Morandais, or Roby.

G- Chauncey Billups
G- Donnie Boyce
F- Alec Burks
F- Josh Scott
C- Shaun Vandiver
G- Jay Humphries
F- Cliff Meely
#8- ??

The #8 spot is debatable depending on how one wants to play. If you want to add more size, defense and rebounding, then one could look at Andre Roberson or possibly even Stephane Pelle. Pelle is a player often overlooked but one who I think was equally as good as Roberson. Otherwise, four other candidates that I like are Dinwiddie, Higgins, Morandais, or Roby.

Pelle's go ahead jumper against KU in '03 with less than a minute left is one of the more memorable shots since I've been paying attention. Good ball player. If you're going to put Pelle up there then Jamal Mosley and David Harrison need to be considered imo.

Chauncey Billups
Alec Burks
Andre Roberson
Cliff Meely
David Harrison
Spencer Dinwiddie
Josh Scott
Richard Roby

Never saw Meely play obviously, but he's usually in the same sentence with Chauncey for people who did.
I was too young to remember Humphries. Vandiver was right about the time I started paying attention, just don't remember much about him.
Went back and forth between Roby and Boyce for the last spot. Went with Roby since I saw him play much more, but Boyce certainly is deserving.
Harrison won't be a popular choice, but its hard to pass on. Dude could dominate when he wanted.

PG Chauncey
SG Richard Roby
SF Andre Roberson
PF Josh Scott
C Vandiver
G The Mayor
F Meely
G Jay Humphries

No love for Chuck Williams - a Denver East Product.

Billups, Meely, Wedman, Humphries, Williams, Vandiver, Harrison, Roby and Burks.

You could consider Matt Bullard on that list but he transferred to Iowa - I blame Tom Miller for that.

You could consider Matt Bullard on that list but he transferred to Iowa - I blame Tom Miller for that.

Had Bullard played all four years at CU, he would belong on this list. I also blame Tom Miller for Bullard's transfer.

Can you tell I had men's season tickets from after I finished grad school to the Patton days? In grad school, my roommate was dating a player. Two of the players basically lived at our apartment and neither one belong on this list.

Jacques Tuz
Brian Johnson
Jay Humphries
Alex Stivrins
Jo Jo Hunter
Joe Cooper
Vince Kelley
Chauncey Billups

Jo Jo Hunter and Vince Kelley - thank you for those. I was too young to watch them, but from what I've read, they were great. Jo Jo transferred to CU from Maryland, but when talking about just HS status, he may be the highest rated player to ever play for CU (all based on memory from articles I've read...could be completely wrong). I'll be honest, I have no idea who Jacques Tuz, Brian Johnson or Alex Stivrins are - had to look up. I guess you're a big fan of the 80s.

Jo Jo Hunter and Vince Kelley - thank you for those. I was too young to watch them, but from what I've read, they were great. Jo Jo transferred to CU from Maryland, but when talking about just HS status, he may be the highest rated player to ever play for CU (all based on memory from articles I've read...could be completely wrong). I'll be honest, I have no idea who Jacques Tuz, Brian Johnson or Alex Stivrins are - had to look up. I guess you're a big fan of the 80s.

I was a ball boy in the early 80's. There were some cool dudes on those teams...to a 9 year old.

Back