What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Allbuffs at 3 am

FlatironsBuff

With my shoulder surgery I had, I am waking up in the middle of the night and having to ice my shoulder so there is even time here on my days off in the middle of the night now. As I was awake today, I was thinking about CU, where we are, trying to go, and issues right now getting there, and realized that we are Boise State. We always talked about 'Boise State would not have the talent and depth to play a full season with the big boys in the Big 12 or Pac 12, as they would not have the depth to cover up for injuries like the P5 schools do'.

Isn't that CU right now? I mean, yes, worse that Boise with wins of course, but playing like a lower level team in that there is talent in spots, but not enough across the board, and certainly not enough in depth to cover up for injuries. I had hopes to win the Utah game, and be competitive in the Oregon game away, but now there are just so many injuries that I don't see it. We seem to be living what we thought Boise would do if they moved up.

I am still liking the growth we saw this year. Unfortunate that we had so many brain farts that would put us down typically 14 to 21 points each game, that we would lose by 7 or less. SO many injuries at positions that we were playing kids that should of had at least one more year to bulk up and learn from the sidelines anyway. I do have hope that with similar growth next year we can win more games and have a real shot at 5 to 7 games. Hard to look back at those third quarters that gave away the CSU, CAL, OSU and UCLA games. Even playing those quarters even, not even coming out ahead we should have made a bowl game already this year.

But we saw CSU make a nice jump this year, and Cal too. I really think we will see CU make a good jump next year. I think the OL will get better. I am hopeful we can keep Nembot (after praying he would be gone earlier this year) and Spruce too. Get Bell and Hennington back on D and see some of the redshirt guys I knew needed a year to grow and learn being in the mix should be good. Another year for DMac to grow (what a nice surprise he has been..from what I thought was a token gesture to someone who is becoming a real talent for us).

Biggest issue to me is still the LB core. Need Gillam to get healthy and bigger. Need the others to get bigger and play smarter. Hope that Grant is healed and comes in playing hard. Praying the Wyoming kid picks us and is happy with LB as I think he would be just huge for this team even as a true freshman (but if Grant and Gillam are healthy, maybe we can redshirt him anyway?)

I am also hoping for a real top recruiter to be on staff by midnight after the Utah game. Yep, won't happen that quick, but you know what I mean. At least one, if not two. I am not the basketball fan you guys are, so it is a waiting game for me to get to the next football season. I saw everything I hoped to see this year, except those wins at CSU, Cal, and OSU. I didn't expect to play UCLA so close. After all the injuries, I didn't expect the AZ game to be close at all after the first 5 mintues. When we game them the ball back with a couple minutes left in the first half I thought 'Well, here is where we let them score a TD and the blowout starts'. Still took a ton of turnovers for AZ to win like they did, so with the injuries we had, I guess....maybe CU played them closer than I thought they could at this point.

And I hope the game slows down more for Sefo next year. One less brain fart INT next year per game and that could help us immensely in the win/loss column. I do like the kid. Not the most talented, but I do love his fight and leadership. I know he isn't everything all of us would love to have, but I will take his character any day over Jamison Winston for a team that is rebuilding culture. Gets hit so much and gets back up fighting. Love that kid.

Was also thinking about Utah. How they want us to have a rivalry, but I just don't get it. Not that I don't respect what they have done since they came in to the PAC. But... I like the team. Always liked Utah, love the state, like the fans I have met, like to see them win against the powers in the PAC. I always want to beat them when we play, but other than that, I like the Utes. I think ASU is the team that I dislike the most, and that is coach and fans making that easy for me. Not seeing hate for USC or UCLA, not even Oregon. Want to beat those teams, but have not seen the fans acting like aholes yet to me. The Arizona schools seem to me to have jerk coaches and fan bases, so right now, those are the rivals in my mind. Will be interesting over the next few years to see what builds in the rivalry range.

Biggest issue to me is still the LB core. Need Gillam to get healthy and bigger. Need the others to get bigger and play smarter. Hope that Grant is healed and comes in playing hard. Praying the Wyoming kid picks us and is happy with LB as I think he would be just huge for this team even as a true freshman (but if Grant and Gillam are healthy, maybe we can redshirt him anyway?)

Was also thinking about Utah. How they want us to have a rivalry, but I just don't get it. Not that I don't respect what they have done since they came in to the PAC. But... I like the team. Always liked Utah, love the state, like the fans I have met, like to see them win against the powers in the PAC. I always want to beat them when we play, but other than that, I like the Utes. I think ASU is the team that I dislike the most, and that is coach and fans making that easy for me. Not seeing hate for USC or UCLA, not even Oregon. Want to beat those teams, but have not seen the fans acting like aholes yet to me. The Arizona schools seem to me to have jerk coaches and fan bases, so right now, those are the rivals in my mind. Will be interesting over the next few years to see what builds in the rivalry range.

For starters, great insight and analysis. Appreciate reading well thought out posts versus emotional garbage. Two points I wanted to comment:

1) 100% agree that our number one concern is LB. Our defensive struggles can be traced there on a majority of 'gasher' runs, and our depth is dangerously thin. We have guys with limited talent and not enough of them - the football equivalent of 'the food is terrible and the portions are small.' Addison isn't himself and Olugbode is figuring out the position - think they will both be much improved next year. Need a talent infusion in a big way to get depth.

2) I like Utah as a rival. Similar footprint, recruiting challenges, lifestyles, etc. ASU and CU have virtually nothing in common. I think when we rebound and get better (hopefully sooner rather than later) and if the Utes stay competitive the rivalry will grow. I think people from Utah are generally really nice people, but so are people from Colorado (save a few from this site - haha).

Manufactured and contrived rivalries are symbolic of the negative corporate trend in college football. But's that's not to say that a rivalry with UU can't or won't develop naturally.

The thing is that UU already has an awesome and kind of nasty rivalry with BYU. Same goes with CU and Nebraska.

It may take a decade to find the true rival. That said, how many great rivalries aren't proximity based (same state/city or border state)? Not many. You've got USC and Notre Dame. I'm struggling to think of another one. Maybe Miami and Penn state back in the 80s.

The problem is that authentic rivalries are typically deeper than just football. Not many people know about the Kansas Missoury rivalry because the quality of football is typically not great, but go back in history and read about the border wars. Oh man! That's some serious s#it.

Back