What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

AllBuffs Poll: What is your take on the threatened cancellation of the CSU series?

How do you feel about losing the CSU series

• Love the move, end it

Votes: 135 76.7%
  • Would rather see it continue with changes

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Extend it as is

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unless and until college football expands to a 14-game regular season, we can't be in the business of playing any single non conference opponent annually.

Kill the series. Negotiate for periodic games from time to time on campus.

Yup.

I could see a scenario from CUs perspective that we play at home on years of 4 P12 home games, then alternate between Denver and FoCo the alternate years.

CSU agreeing to this is a whole different conversation.
Nope

I could see a scenario from CUs perspective that we play at home on years of 4 P12 home games, then alternate between Denver and FoCo the alternate years.

CSU agreeing to this is a whole different conversation.

By "Nope" I assume you mean that this wouldn't be acceptable to you and CU fans in general (as a follow-up to the "Yup" post above yours? Because it is - unfortunately - a legitimate possibility, as Highlander was saying.

You want to see why this series should end? Read this drivel from the Coloradoan:

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...rick-george-rocky-mountain-showdown/23010809/

This is what we have to deal with in regards to this series. CSU has a good season, and suddenly is is all about CU being scared to lose, about CU losing its luster, about CSU being the big dog, about our $150MM facilities being 'nothing' compared to the new CSU stadium.

There isn't anything healthy about this rivalry from CU's perspective. Nothing.

By "Nope" I assume you mean that this wouldn't be acceptable to you and CU fans in general (as a follow-up to the "Yup" post above yours? Because it is - unfortunately - a legitimate possibility, as Highlander was saying.

I don't think RG would agree to that, especially now after all the bitch fits the Denver and CSU media has thrown in the last week. I also don't think it's acceptable for CU.

End it. Due to the P5 structure, I feel the odds of CSU moving to FCS, as well as a lot of other non P5 teams, in the next 10 - 15 years are pretty strong. Now more than ever, this is a no-win game for CU.

You want to see why this series should end? Read this drivel from the Coloradoan:

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...rick-george-rocky-mountain-showdown/23010809/

This is what we have to deal with in regards to this series. CSU has a good season, and suddenly is is all about CU being scared to lose, about CU losing its luster, about CSU being the big dog, about our $150MM facilities being 'nothing' compared to the new CSU stadium.

There isn't anything healthy about this rivalry from CU's perspective. Nothing.

As I noted in the other thread, I just need Matt Stephens or somebody else making CSU's argument to provide me with one single example of another P5 team having an ongoing annual in-state rivalry game with a G5 team at a neutral location, and that will prove to me that Colorado is overreacting.

As I noted in the other thread, I just need Matt Stephens or somebody else making CSU's argument to provide me with one single example of another P5 team having an ongoing annual in-state rivalry game with a G5 team at a neutral location, and that will prove to me that Colorado is overreacting.

BYU ish?

That said I'd like some reasons besides guilt for us today this, that is pretty much all i have heard: "You are obligated" "think of the children" "the good of the state" etc etc

Matt should be ashamed of himself. If someone wrote something like that about CU on this board, I wouldn't think much of it. But to post it as an article? Not even Tini would have made some of the arguments he did. Such a horrible misuse of available information, or outright fabrication/suggestion of other information. Like that "vocal minority" bull****.

Don't play them for 5-10 years-Their AD and fanbase need to learn the hard way that they are not entitled to a game with us.

Matt should be ashamed of himself. If someone wrote something like that about CU on this board, I wouldn't think much of it. But to post it as an article? Not even Tini would have made some of the arguments he did. Such a horrible misuse of available information, or outright fabrication/suggestion of other information. Like that "vocal minority" bull****.
Even if I did, I would never publish it to a professional publication.

Even if I did, I would never publish it to a professional publication.
No ****. Click bait is click bait, even when the guy who wrote it is too dumb to realize that's all it is.

Also, at least if you published something like this, I could neg rep you here.

i am pretty confident that this site reflects the general sentiment of the CU fan base. over 99% of poll respondents want the series ended or substantially altered.

RG knows what we want.

i don't care one bit about the whining from the local media or from csu. we are focused on us. what's best for us, not what's best for csu.

i'll root for them, as i always do, when we aren't playing. i will hope for their success. but, it makes no sense for CU to continue this game, especially on the current 1 for 1 in denver plan.

we haven't taken care of business and stomped them regularly else i doubt there would be so much clamoring for a one-sided affair to continue. they feel emboldened by recent success and approval of their new stadium plan.

fire.gif

Hank Scorpio: Uh, hi, Homer. What can I do for you?
Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.
Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks! Homer, there's four places. There's the Hammock Hut, that's on third.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Hank Scorpio: There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Butt-There.
Homer: Mm-Hmm.
Hank Scorpio: That's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the hammock complex on third.
Homer: Oh, the hammock district!
Hank Scorpio: That's right.

Closest comparables in terms of a long history of playing each other and the P5/G5 local team dynamic are probably LSU/Tulane (98 meetings) and Washington State/Idaho (90 meetings).

Right. And both of these series have been suspended. WSU has played Idaho once (2013) since 2007, and that game was played in Pullman every year when it was an annual showdown, with the last game played in Moscow, Idaho taking place in 1966. LSU had Tulane agree to 2-for-1s in the early 90s, and then stated that the game only made sense for them if Tulane agreed to play in Baton Rouge every year. The last annual contest between the two was in 2009.

Incidentally, did you know that the campuses of Idaho and Washington State are only 8 miles apart? 8 miles! That is crazy.

Incidentally, did you know that the campuses of Idaho and Washington State are only 8 miles apart? 8 miles! That is crazy.
Yes. It is. you can party in both towns in the same hour, basically. Not that I would recommend that. #pullingforPulman

BYU and Utah don't play games at neutral sites, and the ACC is even officially recognizing BYU as a P5 team. So this example doesn't really compare.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ognizes-BYU-as-a-Power-5-opponent.html?pg=all

The ACC recognized BYU as a P5 because of their scheduling flexibility-It makes fulfilling their requirement that their members play one p5 opponent a year much easier......I know our league doesn't let us play OOC games past October 1 (Correct me if I'm wrong) with the only exceptions being USC-Notre Dame and Stanford-Notre Dame.

Utah still treats them as a G5-They have agreed to one series with BYU since they changed leagues, and its a 2 for 1 (2016 and 2018 in SLC, 2017 in Provo). Thats a similar agreement to the 2 for 1 they'll complete this year with Utah State.

Last edited:
...,.,I know our league doesn't let us play OOC games past October 1 (Correct me if I'm wrong) with the only exceptions being USC-Notre Dame and Stanford-Notre Dame.

That's another thing with the CSU game, it should be later in the season. October 31st like the old Nebraska games or mid November.

And like the SEC a cupcake OOC mid November seems like a great way to catch a breathe going into the end of the season. Those guys are experts in this type of stuff.

That's another thing with the CSU game, it should be later in the season. October 31st like the old Nebraska games or mid November.

And like the SEC a cupcake OOC mid November seems like a great way to catch a breathe going into the end of the season. Those guys are experts in this type of stuff.

You're kidding me right? Nothing would scream we want to continue this game like moving later in the year.....

Bull****

Maybe every other year (on odd or even years) have a home & home series. But it needs to get out of Denver. Period.

Can't move it later.

Pac-12 has an OOC policy that limits all OOC to the month of September. Unless it involves Notre Dame.

Back