What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

AllBuffs Poll: What is your take on the threatened cancellation of the CSU series?

How do you feel about losing the CSU series

• Love the move, end it

Votes: 135 76.7%
  • Would rather see it continue with changes

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Extend it as is

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
National college football media (CFT) is now chiming in... Looks like CSU and their "fans" are the only ones who still don't get it.

[tweet]565155071197851649[/tweet]

National college football media (CFT) is now chiming in... Looks like CSU and their "fans" are the only ones who still don't get it.

Good article - **** the goats and the local media whiner hacks.

that is pretty much the truth of it.

B9gWl4vIQAAP489.png:large

https://twitter.com/search?q=#ReplaceAMovieTitleWithGoat&src=tren&mode=photos

those who've followed this longer than I and are familiar with state politics....

what are the odds that the governor or state legislature gets involved? do they have the political strength to compel the schools to play? precedent in Colorado for this sort of involvement?

those who've followed this longer than I and are familiar with state politics....

what are the odds that the governor or state legislature gets involved? do they have the political strength to compel the schools to play? precedent in Colorado for this sort of involvement?

The odds are very, very slim. The legislature really didn't get involved last time, as has been reported. What has been speculated is that President Benson was negotiating with the legislature to increase state funding, and that he may have suggested to Mike Bohn that we renew the series in Denver as a good faith gesture. There was never any direct legislative action to require the two teams meet. It's extremely unlikely that there ever would be in the future.

Very little, IMO. I don't think the general population really cares all that much. And no there is not the political strength. Because of lack of funding to CU and CSU the state house and Senate will avoid becoming in the line of fire on this. The precedent is 30 years old and is not relevant in today's political landscape.

AllBuffs Poll: What is your take on the threatened cancellation of the CSU se...

As long as Benson is president, there is a possibility of some kind of quid pro quo involving the sports program.

Benson thrives on lobbying and negotiating with Capitol Hill.

If Benson could cut a deal to keep/increase state funding on the condition of extending CSU deal, he'd seriously consider it. His record speaks for itself. We'd have never extended Hawkins or hired Embree if not for Benson's concerns about spending on sports and asking the state for tuition relief at the same time at the state house.

I still don't entirely trust Benson from selling CU football fans down the river if that somehow benefited the CU system.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as Benson is president, there is a possibility of some kind of quid pro quo involving the sports program.

Benson thrives on lobbying and negotiating with Capitol Hill.

If Benson could cut a deal to keep/increase state funding on the condition of extending CSU deal, he'd seriously consider it. His record speaks for itself. We'd have never extended Hawkins or hired Embree if not for Benson's concerns about spending on sports and asking the state for tuition relief at the same time at the state house.

I still don't entirely trust Benson from selling CU football fans down the river if that somehow benefited the CU system.

a. there is no extra money to give to CU so they don't have the ammo to do the deal.
b. if they did have both the will and the funds to do something MEANINGFUL for CU, then benson should take the deal. i love football, but CU, my alma mater comes first.

i guess i don't take my football seriously enough.

No 2 for 1 on campus no way, just end it.

Meh - a 2-1 over a 5-year period wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. What we need to avoid is another long term contract that calls for annual games, regardless of site. We can't be in a position where we are locking in one of three OOC opponents every year. At the end of the day, the series as we know it is dead. Regardless of whether they do a 2-1 or not, we won't be scheduling CSU on an annual basis. It would be *one* 2-1, not a series of 2-1 deals that run for the next 10-15 years.

Meh - a 2-1 over a 5-year period wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. What we need to avoid is another long term contract that calls for annual games, regardless of site. We can't be in a position where we are locking in one of three OOC opponents every year. At the end of the day, the series as we know it is dead. Regardless of whether they do a 2-1 or not, we won't be scheduling CSU on an annual basis. It would be *one* 2-1, not a series of 2-1 deals that run for the next 10-15 years.

I agree with Sackman-this series needs to be 2 games in Folsom for 1 game in either Fort Collins or Denver, and not every single year. I think 2 2 for 1's a decade at most is ideal, and I don't want to see the sheep for a good five years after 2019 or 2020-I think theres a very real chance they can't afford to pay us to go up there in 2020.

I wanted to chime in on the Benson/Distefano aspect of this, as I think we're all much more concerned with them forcing this to continue than the state. Per Ringo, the department under RG submitted a balanced budget this school year. Thats the first time that's happened in several years. Thats also why Benson and DiStefano won't tell RG he has to play CSU in football, he can't spend the money to hire a big boy defensive coordinator, or he has to make season ticket holders buy the CSU game as a part of their package. As long as they aren't seeing the AD run $20m holes (which was the case at times under Bohn), I think they're perfectly content to get out of the way and let RG run the AD the way he sees fit to.

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-colle...-georges-first-year-cu-buffs-fundraising-goal

Last edited:
The only worry on the political end to me may come in 4-5 years.
If CSU builds their stadium (they probably will), and they discover that they can't actually schedule a marquee/almost guarantee a sellout team to play at their place with any regularity, and it doesn't look like they will meet their revenue projections for the new stadium without that, then I would expect them to pull out all the stops politically and in the media.

If we have our OOC slate booked full prior to that happening, it makes it really easy to say something like "we'd love to help, but we just can't do anything for the next 5-7 years, how about we do the same deal with you that we did with your peer Houston? Let's say a 2 for 1 over 5 years starting in 2026?"

Bottom line: the best way to stop the series in its current form is to fully book our OOC from 2021 to 2025 as soon as possible. Politics and media pressure can't overcome the reality of an already full schedule.

The only worry on the political end to me may come in 4-5 years.
If CSU builds their stadium (they probably will), and they discover that they can't actually schedule a marquee/almost guarantee a sellout team to play at their place with any regularity, and it doesn't look like they will meet their revenue projections for the new stadium without that, then I would expect them to pull out all the stops politically and in the media.

If we have our OOC slate booked full prior to that happening, it makes it really easy to say something like "we'd love to help, but we just can't do anything for the next 5-7 years, how about we do the same deal with you that we did with your peer Houston? Let's say a 2 for 1 over 5 years starting in 2026?"

Bottom line: the best way to stop the series in its current form is to fully book our OOC from 2021 to 2025 as soon as possible. Politics and media pressure can't overcome the reality of an already full schedule.

Agreed. This points back to the article that CU isn't, nor should ever be responsible for CSU's own financial stability. That rests solely on CSU's shoulders.

Back