What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alright...props to the NUbs

That was awesome. If you hate NU so much you can't appreciate them doing something cool for a boy that will be one of the happiest memories in a probably too short life..then there is something wrong with you.

Yup. I hate their guts for football but this was a very classy thing to do.

image.jpg

AJ sent me a link this morning about Gorssnickle. Had no idea but very cool as well. The article is towards the bottom and is called "An Untold Story"

We have student-athletes, coaches and staff members do nice things all the time in the community, often with little publicity; that’s sort of by design, as I took to heart something Bob Kravitzwrote in the Rocky Mountain News back in the early 1990s. Under the heading things he’d like see, he listed, “Athletes visiting a hospital without an accompanying press release.”
This came from Cameron Lewis, Zach Grossnickle’s mother (who attended college with me, well, back in the Carter/Reagan years ;). Zach, of course, was a punter/kicker for the Buffs and will graduate on time this spring and will forego his senior season. In her own words:

January 13 Plati-'Tudes

AJ sent me a link this morning about Gorssnickle. Had no idea but very cool as well. The article is towards the bottom and is called "An Untold Story"

January 13 Plati-'Tudes

Some athletes, like some people in all professions are egotistical jerks but some people would be shocked at how many athletes on various levels spend significant time giving to others. There are whole HS basketball teams that work with special olympics, I know of one personally (that don't want it publicized) who after hearing about it from friends on a team at a different school went to their coach requesting it.

Virtually every college program has guys (and young women) who put in time year around.

In the pros there are a lot of guys who specifically don't want attention paid to what they do. Peyton Manning when he was in Indy spent so much time in the childrens wing of the hospital that they gave him his own pass key. He also tried to donate a big chunk of money annonymously for an expansion. They had to convince him to let them use his name finally convincing him that by doing so it would be easier to raise the rest of the money.

Some athletes, like some people in all professions are egotistical jerks but some people would be shocked at how many athletes on various levels spend significant time giving to others. There are whole HS basketball teams that work with special olympics, I know of one personally (that don't want it publicized) who after hearing about it from friends on a team at a different school went to their coach requesting it.

Virtually every college program has guys (and young women) who put in time year around.

In the pros there are a lot of guys who specifically don't want attention paid to what they do. Peyton Manning when he was in Indy spent so much time in the childrens wing of the hospital that they gave him his own pass key. He also tried to donate a big chunk of money annonymously for an expansion. They had to convince him to let them use his name finally convincing him that by doing so it would be easier to raise the rest of the money.
yep, and then you have lamar odom.

nik, i apperciate all you do for allbuffs. as someone who grew up here, went to cu, went to the 'sal is dead, go big red' game and hate's neb. with a passion all i can say after reading your bs comment is **** you. what if that was your kid who had brain cancer.

It was a nice gesture. But what I really want to address is all the nasty commentary about the poor academics at NU. I admit I have been guilty of such aspersions over the years. But I must inform all you that my son graduated CU Law in 2007 and his best law school friend was George, from the U. of Nebraska. And..........George was number 1 in the class!!!! And he now practices with one of the most prestigious international firms in the world. So don't get too locked in on academic inferiority at NU.

Well, brain cancer would explain why someone would choose to be a Nubs fan.

nik, i apperciate all you do for allbuffs. as someone who grew up here, went to cu, went to the 'sal is dead, go big red' game and hate's neb. with a passion all i can say after reading your bs comment is **** you. what if that was your kid who had brain cancer.

I have to admit, I'm pretty surprised such a comment came from Nik as I also thought it was pretty out of line. Of course somebody else will just say that is because society has made us soft and we don't have a thick skin for the things people say.

I have to admit, I'm pretty surprised such a comment came from Nik as I also thought it was pretty out of line. Of course somebody else will just say that is because society has made us soft and we don't have a thick skin for the things people say.
way out of line and absolutely no place for it. replusive, this is a 7 year old kid who has a good chance of dying way to young. just so i'm clear on this, **** you nik. mike catura class of '92

Ease up on nik. He is a great dad and would never wish brain cancer on anyone, especially a child. Many of us toe the line with our comments and there are times when the humor is considered over the line. I have been over the line and have been offended. Honestly the best thing you can do is go to sackygate and meet these posters in real life. It adds context to their posts and moves the line much further away.

I'd forgotten about this thread, but saw some rep coming in (pos and neg) so I decided to check it out.

My post was in bad taste. Horribly bad.

So I completely understand why some of you are bothered by it. If the story touched you emotionally, I can see how it would even piss you off.

For the same reasons, it's so over the line and out of character that it's funny. Some of you took it in that spirit and like dark humor.

Some don't.

Anyway, I'm not going to apologize and I'm not going to tell anyone to lighten up. I said what I said and it is what it is. If I had read the same from anyone else, which way I reacted to it would depend on my mood and how emotionally touched I'd been by that story.

The huskers did a great thing there; kudos to them. And I wish the young man and his family the best of luck in this horrible struggle that they face. Very, very sad.

However, I can honestly say that I can easily reconcile my sincere remark above, and laughing at Nik's joke. It was funny, and I don't think mean-spirited at all to the victim in this case. When we stop hating nebraska, what do we have left?

Your post was not only funny but patently true.

Their D in the vid reminded me of their D circa 2001 too.

I'd forgotten about this thread, but saw some rep coming in (pos and neg) so I decided to check it out.

My post was in bad taste. Horribly bad.

So I completely understand why some of you are bothered by it. If the story touched you emotionally, I can see how it would even piss you off.

For the same reasons, it's so over the line and out of character that it's funny. Some of you took it in that spirit and like dark humor.

Some don't.

Anyway, I'm not going to apologize and I'm not going to tell anyone to lighten up. I said what I said and it is what it is. If I had read the same from anyone else, which way I reacted to it would depend on my mood and how emotionally touched I'd been by that story.

I apperciate the hate's in this replusive post.

My hate is directed at Husker Fans, not their football program. Therefore I can applaud the awesome moment they gave this young cancer patient, while still rooting for them to lose every single game in blowout fashion, thus crushing their fanbases fragile ego which is tied too pathetically close to a college football team.

My hate is directed at Husker Fans, not their football program. Therefore I can applaud the awesome moment they gave this young cancer patient, while still rooting for them to lose every single game in blowout fashion, thus crushing their fanbases fragile ego which is tied too pathetically close to a college football team.

You know that young man was a fan right? How can you hate him? Signed, Hugh G. Rection class of 98.

You know that young man was a fan right? How can you hate him? Signed, Hugh G. Rection class of 98.

He is also a 7 year old boy with brain cancer. He gets a pass....until he recovers and cries on national tv after a blowout loss. Signed, Haywood Jablomey

When we stop hating nebraska, what do we have left?

It's all I have left.

THAT is sadder than brain cancer.

I forgot Notre Dame. I hate them, too. So it turns out I'm not such a pathetic loser after all, huh?

Don't hate, it's not good for you.

Ah, the old passive aggressive tactic eh?

When dealing with Sackman one needs all the tactical advantages out there.

:popcorn:
:popcorn::popcorn:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Nik's comment was wrong. Having brain cancer didn't make the kid a Nebraska fan. Being a Nebraska fan gave him brain cancer.

That's why the team did this gesture. They are responsible.

Back