What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Am I a booster? What contact can I have with a recruit?

Fight CU

Club Member
Club Member
Can I talk to him? I’m Not a booster besides the owning season tickets in the past. I’m serious

Can I talk to him? I’m Not a booster besides the owning season tickets in the past. I’m serious
You can always talk to them. You just can't spend money on them or try to recruit them.

this is where I'm confused. I will tell him to choose CU - isn't that recruiting?
You can tell him your impressions of CU, Boulder and Colorado. You can answer questions about that. You can't be going up to high school athletes and telling them they should go to CU. Frankly, not only is that a violation but we shouldn't do that simply because we wouldn't be good at it. Leave recruiting to the professionals.

Either that's not true, or these rules are violated every day with every recruit on social media.
It wasn't true. You can't initiate contact if you're a booster/donor. But if you unavoidably happen to run into a recruit then it's not like you have to say you're not allowed to talk to the kid.

To your other point, social media isn't policed because it would be impossible. Can you imagine if they tried to? Everyone would be creating fake accounts posing as rival fans and then doing things that violate NCAA rules.

Anyway, back to @Fight CU 's question: he is a booster. If you've ever donated, been a member of the Buff Club, etc. you never lose your booster status even if it's been 50 years since you bought season tickets. The link below is 12 years old, so there's probably something more current from CU. But I doubt much of anything has changed.

https://cubuffs.com/sports/2006/7/18/264379.aspx

From the linked article:
A booster/donor may not contact a prospect or his/her parents in person, by telephone, in writing or any electronic means of communication. Deliberate contact may not be made with a prospect or his/her parents on or off the CU campus for purposes of recruiting the prospect. Unavoidable incidental contact does happen and as long as you confine your conversation with the prospect to typical conversation and do not provide the prospect with a "recruiting pitch" you will be fine.
The exception to this NCAA legislation would be if you had a previous and pre-existing relationship with the prospect. You can contact the CU Athletics Compliance Office to talk about this further.

This is the key. If you know the recruit because he's a friend of your kid's, a neighbor, or someone you meet from professional or social reasons (like members of the same church or golf club) you can discuss CU lightly with them if you are together for other legit reasons.

However, if he happens to go to the same high school in your neighborhood, you watch him play and decide to approach him, that's not allowed.

You can tell him your impressions of CU, Boulder and Colorado. You can answer questions about that. You can't be going up to high school athletes and telling them they should go to CU. Frankly, not only is that a violation but we shouldn't do that simply because we wouldn't be good at it. Leave recruiting to the professionals.
he's not a stranger to me

I was told by Coach Barry way back in the early 1990's that once a booster, always a booster. That was before women's basketball had season tickets.

Booster status doesn't go away because you stop going to games or supporting the school.

Read the link I found. Pre-existing relationships are treated differently.
Thx

Established family friends

Q: What if I am an "established family friend" or neighbor? Can I contact the prospect?
Yes, because a pre-existing relationship with the prospect may trump this NCAA legislation. However, it must be understood that such contacts cannot be made for recruiting purposes and cannot be initiated or arranged by CU staff members. In addition, the established relationship must have occurred prior to the friend or neighbor becoming a prospect.

Don’t recruit your friends’ kids. They usually end up going somewhere else. Take Justinian Jessup for example. If Sackman had just left the kid alone, we’d be the lucky team he’s playing for. Instead Sackman scared him off to Boise.

If he is really good, hookers and blow is okay... but only one hooker... because you're a booster.

Quite simple actually

Don’t recruit your friends’ kids. They usually end up going somewhere else. Take Justinian Jessup for example. If Sackman had just left the kid alone, we’d be the lucky team he’s playing for. Instead Sackman scared him off to Boise.

But if he is good enough encourage your daughters attractive friends to move him towards CU. :ROFLMAO:

Besides it’s kinda creepy having middle aged guys hanging around a high school...the judge was pretty clear with me about that.

A distinction when it comes to social media, specifically twitter. I believe you're allowed to follow recruits, like their tweets, and retweet their tweets. You can even tweet with their name inside the text of the tweet.

But you cannot direct message them or tweet @ them specifically.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

"Billy Bob seems to be close to announcing his decision." <--Okay
"@BillyBob seems to be close to announcing his decision." <--Not okay.

The former is tweeting out your thoughts about what Billy Bob is doing. The latter is talking directly to Billy Bob.

So, a couple years ago (given my geographic location, you all can probably figure out almost exactly when) I went to the grocery store, and the kid bagging my groceries looks at my CU shirt and says "Colorado? My buddy just got offered a scholarship to play football there, what's it like?"

I was honest with him: "it's the greatest university in the world!"

Well, not really. I told him it was a great school, that his friend would get a really good education that he might not get at a football factory, and that he'd get a chance to play high level football at a school with a great football tradition, that there was a large and thriving alumni association in the local area even though the university is halfway across the country from here - and he really should visit the school before making a decision.

What I did not do: offer him, his buddy, and his buddy's mom reasonably well-paid jobs if he went to CU.

A distinction when it comes to social media, specifically twitter. I believe you're allowed to follow recruits, like their tweets, and retweet their tweets. You can even tweet with their name inside the text of the tweet.

But you cannot direct message them or tweet @ them specifically.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

"Billy Bob seems to be close to announcing his decision." <--Okay
"@BillyBob seems to be close to announcing his decision." <--Not okay.

The former is tweeting out your thoughts about what Billy Bob is doing. The latter is talking directly to Billy Bob.
What ranking did Rivals give Billy Bob? Great football name, BTW.

Back