What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

An open letter to the CU community

Excellent article - I do agree with most of it. Only persnickety bit is that I would give Embree a little bit more leeway, but not much more.

Your article did get me to thinking about how change could be brought about. It does need to happen at the top of the administration, but let's say that Benson left/retired at the end of the 2013/14 school year. Most likely, we'd end up with an interim for the 14/15 school year while a more permanent president was hired for the 15/16 school year. (Alternatively, you could move all those forward or back by one year - pretty much the same dynamic though.) What could be done to set in place a process wherein CU gets a new president that will support athletics?

In thinking about that, I realized it all comes down to the regents. If the regents want a president that emphasizes athletics, that's what we'll get. If they want someone like Benson, that's what we'll get. Who ultimately approves new majors? The regents. Who ultimately signs off on new construction projects? The regents.

And the regents are elected.

Which then got me thinking: if you were a deep pocketed donor, and you wanted to see CU athletics starting to win championships again, at this point in time would you get more return for your donation dollars by writing a check to the AD or by writing a check to fund a political action committee focused on the CU regent elections over the next couple election cycles?

Way to go Buffnik!! You just said what lots of fans and alumni are feeling / thinking, but to scared to say. I agree with 99% of what you have stated. Growing up in Texas, yet living my adult life here in COLORADO, one of the most recognizable traits that I see here at CU? Like of pride from leadership...and that is everywhere from where I work, local neighborhoods and my favorite school CU. The true fans that have the $ need to donate and push the administration! Ex players that go off and make big money in pro sports need to remember where they came from and donate (and push the administration) - the administration needs to pull their head out of their @$$ and pay attention to the ever-changing landscape of college sport and be more pro active. They need to get off their high horses!!

Way to go Nik for bringing this up - now someone needs to print the article and mail it to all the regents and administration, because I guarantee they are not on this great AllBuff site and reading it...

I'm not quite ready to throw Mike Bohn under the bus. While I'm incensed over the one-off with Michigan, I think that his good far outweighs his bad. And while I don't think you are necessarily throwing him under the bus, I did get the sense that you think it's time to move on. I'm not there yet. Keep in mind that if he goes, he has to be replaced by somebody. Think for a second about who would be hiring his replacement. Then tell me if you really think it's time for him to move on.

I think Nik's excellent thoughts shine a light on the systemic issues of our AD and school. I would urge those who agree to channel a little of their internet rage. Sharing this with fellow students, alumni, and donors would go a long way to turning up the spotlight on the weak willed manner in which the AD is managed.

I can't disagree with the Embree assessment, but I'm still more hopeful than the article.

I'm hoping Embree's passion for the program, ability to evaluate and recruit talent and NFL caliber staff will turn this program around and he will be another Mac. Embree's Buffs for Life program show he is a class act. He is funny and blunt in press conferences and really earns the loyalty of his players.

He may be a below the radar pick, but our last high-profile hire was less than a success as were many other programs' (i.e. Rich Rod)

So until we go 5-7 in 2014, I'll be on the Embree bandwagon. But it was a good article.

1. Get rid of Benson
2. Kick Phil to the curb
3. Thank Bohn for all his hard work and buh bye.
4. Hire new Pres and Chancellor
5. Hire Les Miles (big name coach)
6. Profit

Excellent Nik.

I do not believe the University cares about athletics at all. I firmly believe that if you are going to do something you do it well. The University just wants the athletic department to scrape by and cares little about athletic success. We are woefully behind on even adequate facilities and we are saddled with way too much long term debt. The holes are simply too big to dig out of without support from the University.

I think Mike Bohn is a good AD especially with the minimal support he gets from the University. However, after hearing about the Michigan game, my opinion is changing.

I am willing to wait for Embree to see if he can succeed (but not long). He seems like a good guy, but I am skeptical at this point.

It's become clear to me that the University would just prefer to not have an athletic department as they are intent on giving it minimal support. I no longer believe we have any real chance at a return to former glory.

FWIW, Embree was hired because he was the most prepared for the interview and, accordingly, had the best interview.

At some point we the fans have to set higher expectations and speak with our wallet if we have to.

Bohn seems content taking baby steps. I wouldn't be opposed to a change, especially if Embree fails. Maybe this will all change if/when we make the stadium expansion/IPF announcement this fall

Was Bohn even at the interview(s)?
It doesn't really work that way. There was a selection committee he assembled who created a long list of candidates, narrowed it down, conducted interviews, got down to finalists etc. and reported to him. Standard procedure. There were some surprisingly bad interviews by current head coaches.

It doesn't really work that way. There was a selection committee he assembled who created a long list of candidates, narrowed it down, conducted interviews, got down to finalists etc. and reported to him. Standard procedure. There were some surprisingly bad interviews by current head coaches.

Do tell.

Which then got me thinking: if you were a deep pocketed donor, and you wanted to see CU athletics starting to win championships again, at this point in time would you get more return for your donation dollars by writing a check to the AD or by writing a check to fund a political action committee focused on the CU regent elections over the next couple election cycles?

I've often contemplated the negative effects of having the Board of Regents elected by a statewide vote, including those in the state who don't have CU's best interests at heart, and how that impacts athletics. Maybe it's high time that us in Buff Nation use the system to our advantage.

There is still one angle that all the cires for a big name coach don't take into account - the burning wreck of violations and sanctions.

I want CU to win so badly my pee burns.....oh wait maybe that is something else......anyway, I want it to be sustainable winning, dominance if you will. I don't want some coach that is riding the carousel and hopes to have made a splash, cashed in, and left town before the dominoes start to fall. My worst case is, after three years the powers decide that while making progress we need a big name coach. So and so comes in, makes a splash and pulls some big names and 5*s. We are the darling child of ESPN and the like, make a run, and get a sniff at the top ten towards the end of the season. A good matchup earns the BUffs a spot in a top bowl, just outside the four playoff teams. A spotlight win in a bowl brings additional attention and the coach is off to a new opportunity in the SEC. Disgruntled 5* recruits then let a few comments slide about their recruiting experience, the NCAA investigates and a mess is uncovered, resulting in a loss of scholarships and postseason bans. With those anchors firmly in place the scramble to hire a replacement results in a sub-par coaching reach, who further diminishes the previous gains by proving he is in over his head. Local media coverage of the SCANDAL drives fan apathy as the losses mount, and after an additional three years CU is looking for a coach to come in and save the program from back to back 3-10 seasons.

We all want to get back to the top of the mountain, I just want to stay up there always competing rather than missing out on another decade of looks because we were too impatient to get our foundation back to where it needs to be. For all his limitations I get the feeling JE is not one who wants to risk the name and reputation of his Alma Mater just to make a career move. I don't believe that it is settling for mediocrity if there is sustained improvement, and the attitude of being a national contender and conference champion is rebuilt along with the player base. It may take 5 years instead of three, but if the culture change sow s the seeds for fifteen years of competitive football instead of five I would take it.

The easy solution, Phil, Bruce, Mike - give JE what he needs to get us back to winning! Let's not half-ass this thing.

Buffnik - I greatly appreciate your sensational and very insightful letter, as well as your passion. Unfortunately, almost ono one at CU truly cares about greatness in athletics. It's very hard to raise money for an organization committed to mediocrity or worse. The truth is that many in the CU system and Boulder community are totally indifferent, or outright hostile, to athletics. It's been that way for 20+ years, and I have seen it many times during over this period.

Some in the CU system, Boulder community and Denver/Boulder media even tried to fuel the fire of its dislike for athletics by trumping up a politically-motivated "scandal" to demonize football permanently. It worked - I fear the result is that we will be mediocre or worse forever in football, with just temporarly success in basketball until Boyle eventually gets frustrated and leaves for more money.

Buffnik - I greatly appreciate your sensational and very insightful letter, as well as your passion. Unfortunately, almost ono one at CU truly cares about greatness in athletics. It's very hard to raise money for an organization committed to mediocrity or worse. The truth is that many in the CU system and Boulder community are totally indifferent, or outright hostile, to athletics. It's been that way for 20+ years, and I have seen it many times during over this period.

Some in the CU system, Boulder community and Denver/Boulder media even tried to fuel the fire of its dislike for athletics by trumping up a politically-motivated "scandal" to demonize football permanently. It worked - I fear the result is that we will be mediocre or worse forever in football, with just temporarly success in basketball until Boyle eventually gets frustrated and leaves for more money.

So are we resigned to this fate - or do we have any power? 50 thousand people show up to games on Saturdays. thousands more show up for road games. I see posts about football on my Facebook feed constantly.

We have a voice, we just don't effectively use it. Just because things are a certain way, doesn't mean they need to stay that way. Should Allbuffs work to start a 'Changing the Face of Colorado Athletics' initiative?

Back