What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

An open letter to the CU community

Well....let's get real. Most of the students are more interested in getting ****ed up before the game. That is why they are late. And if the game sucks, they all leave to get more ****ed up since we don't sell beer at Folsom.

Solution: sell beer at Folsom. Win-win (except for unsuspecting coeds who get passed via hands through the student section).

Well....let's get real. Most of the students are more interested in getting ****ed up before the game. That is why they are late. And if the game sucks, they all leave to get more ****ed up since we don't sell beer at Folsom.

Solution: sell beer at Folsom. Win-win (except for unsuspecting coeds who get passed via hands through the student section).

that is right and wrong. see the student section going into the second half. its full.

and many students have posted on here what a PITA it is to get into the stadium before kickoff.

if its a 11 am start. yes. hard to get the students there.

a late kickoff like USC was? no. dont buy it.

that is right and wrong. see the student section going into the second half. its full.

and many students have posted on here what a PITA it is to get into the stadium before kickoff.

if its a 11 am start. yes. hard to get the students there.

a late kickoff like USC was? no. dont buy it.
No Dallas is right. Since we suck right now, most students are more concerned with getting twisted than getting to the game on time. Late start or early start (sans the CSU game, and even then to a lesser extent), that's just how it is. The security line doesn't make it any easier to get kids in on time, but for the most part, students are more concerned with getting twisted.

Nik is right. We need a incentive system for people who get there on time like basketball. I don't recall the 2011 attendance before the game started, but I assume that the trip to LA and ABQ helped a good chunk in getting kids in early.

Maybe they could have Wyclef Jean perform in the stadium before the game to get the students out of the tailgates early.

4DB - No worries about our games sounding like a pro atmosphere as long as Bohn's in charge. He's all about the band, student spirits, etc. or a college atmosphere. He has put his foot down on that in the past and will continue to do so.

I agree that there needs to be a major push to get students into the game early. Maybe something like a give away for the first 1,000 students into the stadium or something.

there is not a need for a give away. they just need to be allowed into the stadium like the rest of us.

they have posted on here that they are in line 30 minutes prior to kickoff and it takes for ever to be admitted.

that is how you build an alumni base? by pissing off current students to the degree that it takes them 30 plus minutes to enter the stadium?

its all crap. those are future doners/season ticket holders. you treat them better. that is, if you want any money and loyalty in the future.

The only way the students will show up early is if we get so good that there is limited room available to them. They won't pay for beer if we sell it in the stadium. They don't care if they don't have a good seat because there really aren't bad seats in the student section anyway. They want to get ****ed up and not have to stand around for half an hour of wasted time before a game just to get in to see Ralphie and pick their seat.

Even though I still sit in the student section near the 45 yard line about 10-15 rows up while paying for the cheapest season tickets I can get, I support the idea of kicking the students and freeloaders like me out of the premier seating there. Sell those seats and make more money and put the student section in a less-desirable area to entice them to get the few amount of good seats early.

Let's just move the student section behind the other teams bench, that'd be fun.

I went to the UT night game at Folsom a few years ago. Should have seen the outflow of students at halftime. Maybe they were all headed to Norlin.....

I'm not quite ready to throw Mike Bohn under the bus. While I'm incensed over the one-off with Michigan, I think that his good far outweighs his bad. And while I don't think you are necessarily throwing him under the bus, I did get the sense that you think it's time to move on. I'm not there yet. Keep in mind that if he goes, he has to be replaced by somebody. Think for a second about who would be hiring his replacement. Then tell me if you really think it's time for him to move on.

I agree with this commentary. Why can't we put CU football, and CU athletics, into perspective? You know what happens when people sell out to winning at all costs, and big time college football? Sandusky and Penn State. Just be proud of the occasional success like 1990, be patient, and when we do win again it will be that much sweeter.

I agree with this commentary. Why can't we put CU football, and CU athletics, into perspective? You know what happens when people sell out to winning at all costs, and big time college football? Sandusky and Penn State. Just be proud of the occasional success like 1990, be patient, and when we do win again it will be that much sweeter.

Agree. But, can we walk a fine line? Nothing unethical (or illegal), but championships more frequently than every 20, 30, or 40+ years?

Yeah let's just use the most extreme of extreme cases as an example. Brilliant.

I hate that attitude. I don't mean offense, but that feeds into the erroneous belief system in Boulder that holds us back. You don't have to be Miami to win. What about Michigan? Notre Dame? Stanford? Texas? Wisconsin? There are plenty of examples of programs that you never see on probation and also compete at the highest level. Let's stop feeding into the lie that you have to be dirty to get where we want to be.

Students may want to get trashed before the game, but the single line segregation system of getting students into the game has got to go. A ticket to the game is a ticket to the game. Enter any gate at any time. I've never understood the system they have in place, and I'm positive it's not producing the results they're hoping for.

I usually get trashed before the game, go early, and then bring in enough shooters to maintain a level of drunkeness throughout the game

Rep. We haven't seen well crafted prose like this around here since Burrito last shared limericks with us from his Nantucket series.

Now get thine arse into Barzil, post-haste!

Thanks! I was going for something equivalent to a motivational speech given before the battle reenactment at a bad renaissance fair!

Even when I was a student in the 70's, most of the students arrived at the games trashed and brought their own alcohol in flasks.

I support the idea of kicking the students and freeloaders like me out of the premier seating there. Sell those seats and make more money and put the student section in a less-desirable area to entice them to get the few amount of good seats early.

Disagree completely. Students bring the most energy, passion, and create that unique 'college atmosphere'. If anything they should be given EVEN BETTER seats across the entire east side to showcase them at the top of the TV broadcast screen. Don't hide them like Nebraska. Showcase them like Duke Basketball did.

What are you talking about? Can't be a serious post.

2013 should be the year where we break out. There's pretty much a 100% chance we return all 11 starters on offense, all special teamers, and ~7 starters on defense

Buffnik gets it. Excellent athletics (aka football) drives a university. Good students want to go to good universities to get a good education and want to have winning athletic teams to support and brag about. They are then likely to donate after they graduate. Their parents are also likely to donate a little on top of paying tuition. All you have to do is ask those students who make the calls to alumni and parents every year asking for donations. The university gets the donations and its athletic department gets the donations when the university has winning athletic programs. The university also gets more applications from better students. Believe me, I've been in university academics for 36 years as a professor.

Buffnik gets it. Excellent athletics (aka football) drives a university. Good students want to go to good universities to get a good education and want to have winning athletic teams to support and brag about. They are then likely to donate after they graduate. Their parents are also likely to donate a little on top of paying tuition. All you have to do is ask those students who make the calls to alumni and parents every year asking for donations. The university gets the donations and its athletic department gets the donations when the university has winning athletic programs. The university also gets more applications from better students. Believe me, I've been in university academics for 36 years as a professor.

As a Notre Dame (and CU) grad, I have always known this to be an urban myth. Witness: http://www.bringbacktrack.com/About/Sport_Giving_Non-Correlation.asp

This society is driven by the media nowadays and ESPN seems to be right up there with Fox News. Your comment probably applies at Alabama, Ohio State, Miami, Boise State, Oklahoma and Auburn. But it is meaningless at the top 25 universities listed in the Princeton Review and U. S. News and World Report. And, alas, there are very good reasons why the Fighting Irish don't win big time nowadays.

I thought I responded to this thread but it appears that I didn't. I copied the two questions from Nik's blog:

1. What do I think about the Embree hire?

Too early to tell at this point for sure. Any coach would have struggled in Boulder due to the departure of the last two senior classes that were mainly Hawkins recruits. We have the chance to watch a young team develop and lay the foundation for future Buff teams if the Buffs make a bowl game this season. There is a chance we get off to a hot start so let's not jump too far ahead. There are mainly two different roads this will lead us to:

One will mean we get off to a fast start this season which allows us to get to a bowl game with a 3-6 or 4-5 conference record. I would prefer at least 4-5 in that regard but 5-4 would be awesome and if we win all our OOC games, that means we have a 8-4 record. :thumbsup: My biggest concern is Bohn makes another premature contract extension and I can't see Embree going somewhere else so soon even to the NFL. But at the same time Embree is possibly the lowest paid Pac-12 coach so a new contract will most likely come instead of an extension. Or like in the next paragraph, cheaper to buy out.

Two will mean the Buffs struggle badly this year and there's a very good chance Embree gets the ax after one more season since the Pac-12 media money will be rolling into Boulder. This is one reason why we will probably see Pac-12 coaches get run out faster than ever. Oregon State's Riley might be signed through like 2019 but I don't think his job is that safe either. You know the Phil Steele of BAYLORED? I'm afraid we might have gotten BAYLORED from firing Gary Barnett after that Big 12 CCG beating by Texas. We know too well how long it took Baylor to find their winning ways again and I SINCERELY HOPE that we are not headed that way.

2. What do I think about the CU administration?

I'm still supportive of Bohn. Will we ever get another AD that cares about CU like the Boulder native does? That is where I think the CU fans that want Bohn fired are speaking first instead of thinking first. Remember Bohn wanted to fire Dan Hawkins but was overruled by the Administration but that turned out to be a political move that secured CU's Pac-10 invite through the State Legislature about eight to nine months before the conference move was announced. We are more hamstrung by the CU President and Chancellor than Bohn and if we are to make a difference, it starts with the Chancellor. I can't comprehend that given that the current Chancellor who has worked at CU for 38 years doesn't seem to understand that athletics does play a large role in elevating the CU brand.

Again, look at the 38 years...we need an OUTSIDER who believes in the good work that athletic does for a school. I don't know if the President of the CU system will have that much impact compared to the Chancellor who basically runs the Boulder campus.

I still believe Bohn did the right thing to focus on the programs that call the Keg home. If the Pac-12 expands to include CSU, BYU, UNM, and UNLV, that will pay off in a big way because we will end up being more competitive in football over the long run with that group of schools. Speaking of Pac-12 expansion, there's a good chance the next Chancellor will be voting for that.

I think the Pac-12 move probably sped up the departure of Benson and Di because they put CU in a very good position if future leadership does the right things.

Back