What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Andre (Edit: LEAVING FOR NBA)

xj needs work

Dre is pretty maxed out as a prospect. He can't get any better in college offensively due to the limited amount of time he can practice with also being a student, and his defense and rebounding are already elite. He will never be a good outside shooter or free throw shooter at the college level, but he can help pro teams in other ways. He won't get drafted because of his offense.

I think he is a perfect role player in the NBA as a defender/rebounder off the bench to provde a spark.

I would be surprised to see him come back, but I sincerely hope he does come back because our team next year could be scary good with him.

As for Dinwiddie, he would be at best a 2nd rounder this year and probably spend most of next year in the D league or playing garbage minutes (5-10 minutes/game) on an NBA team. Not the best scenario for him IMO.

Right now, he has good length, size (height), and shooting form for a combo guard, but he needs another year to increase his strength in the upper body (still gets pushed around too much) and learn to finish at the rim more consistently (watch Burks tapes).

He took a little step back compared to his freshmen year in 3pt shooting percentage because he played more point guard this year compared to wing last year. I expect to see an improvement next year, and if he adds another 5-10 lbs of muscle, his "and 1s" will increase as well. He could increase his scoring to the 18-20pt range easily. That will impress scouts.

He isn't the most explosive player, which hurts his stock a little, although he has shown more dunking ability this year (dunk vs. Stanford was sweet!), his game is still below the rim, but he can do many other things very well, so I think he can improve a few more things and be drafted in the top 15 next year easily. I bet scouts love his versality!

I believe XJ has the most potential on the team if he can fix his handles, post moves, and FT shooting percentage. He is already built like a NBA small forward as a true frosh, and he is plently athletic.

Scott has great potential as well, but he is limited due to his below the rim game as well. He needs 20-40 lbs of weight to help him, and I can see him being a terrific college player but limited to make the next level beyond a bench player, which is great for us because he will probably stay four years.

gave us some great highlights but except for arizona game disappeared. as we saw in the tourney he needs to be open to get his shot off

What's unlikely is leading the nation in rebounding as a 6'7" forward. He's a special rebounding talent, the comparison is a fair one.

Horse****. Comparing 'Dre to the Manimal is dumb. Comparing him to Rodman is retarded.

Horse****. Comparing 'Dre to the Manimal is dumb. Comparing him to Rodman is retarded.

Tad, Sean Miller and other posters here who made the same analogy are retarded? Interesting take. Starting to sound agro, what's the deal?

Dre's style of play definitely has Rodman as the prototype.

Similarly, Scott's has Duncan as the prototype.

No one is saying that either of them are as good as the greatest players who every played the game of basketball who had similar bodies at their age and played a similar style of basketball. That would be asinine. Similarly, assuming people think that when they make these comparisons is also asinine.

No one is saying that either of them are as good as the greatest players who every played the game of basketball who had similar bodies at their age and played a similar style of basketball. That would be asinine. Similarly, assuming people think that when they make these comparisons is also asinine.

Nominated for the definitive view on how to handle a comparison.

Okay, if we're going with that, I can compare my ten year old nephew to John Stockton because he's good at passing the ball?

Okay, if we're going with that, I can compare my ten year old nephew to John Stockton because he's good at passing the ball?

Yes. If you tell me your nephew plays hoops and I ask you how he looks, I wouldn't bat an eye if you said, "He's a little Stockton. Not the biggest or most explosive athlete on the court, but runs the team, gets a ton of assists, really good open shooter, and is a cheapshot & flop artist on defense." I'd be a moron if you said that and I gave you sh!t by assuming what you meant is that your nephew is destined to be one of the NBA's all-time assists leaders some day.

Dre is just an undersized athletic special hustle desire player with the unique ability to get rebounds. Sort of like Rodman!!! :rofl:

Yes. If you tell me your nephew plays hoops and I ask you how he looks, I wouldn't bat an eye if you said, "He's a little Stockton. Not the biggest or most explosive athlete on the court, but runs the team, gets a ton of assists, really good open shooter, and is a cheapshot & flop artist on defense." I'd be a moron if you said that and I gave you sh!t by assuming what you meant is that your nephew is destined to be one of the NBA's all-time assists leaders some day.

Okay, well fair enough then. My opinion remains that 'Dre will be lucky to have any kind of lengthy career in the NBA. He is undersized, lacks the ability to create shots for himself or others, and survives almost exclusively on motor alone. I will root my ass off for him, and I hope I'm wrong, but he just isn't passing the NBA eye test for me. Sorry.

Okay, well fair enough then. My opinion remains that 'Dre will be lucky to have any kind of lengthy career in the NBA. He is undersized, lacks the ability to create shots for himself or others, and survives almost exclusively on motor alone. I will root my ass off for him, and I hope I'm wrong, but he just isn't passing the NBA eye test for me. Sorry.

You may be right. Players in the "Rodman genre" usually don't pan out. Dre's better than most, though, when you consider his college productivity. I'd expect him to at least have a Renaldo Balkman type career as that type of player. Dre's a much better rebounder than Balkman was (and a much better attitude), and Balkman had a 7-year NBA career.

I like Andre but in all honesty he will not make my top 10. Chauncey is number 1, Cliff Meeley is 2, after that in no particular order - Scott Wedman, Chuck Williams, Jay Humphries, Alex Burks, Shaun Vandiver, David Harrison, Pat Frink, Jim Davis. I left Matt Bullard out because he transferred out of CU. Others I consider - JoJo Hunter, Dave Logan, Jaquay Walls. R. Roby, Morandis, Roberson.

Last edited:
You may be right. Players in the "Rodman genre" usually don't pan out. Dre's better than most, though, when you consider his college productivity. I'd expect him to at least have a Renaldo Balkman type career as that type of player. Dre's a much better rebounder than Balkman was (and a much better attitude), and Balkman had a 7-year NBA career.

One thing to note as well. SG/SF defenders are becoming a premium in the NBA as well. It cannot be overlooked. Defense got Dante Jones amongst others a lot of money.

Last edited:
I like Andre but in all honesty he will not make my top 10. Chauncey is number 1, Cliff Meeley is 2, after that in no particular order - Scott Wedman, Chuck Williams, Jay Humphries, Alex Burks, Shaun Vandiver, David Harrison, Pat Frink, Jim Davis. I left Matt Bullard out because he transferred out of CU. Others I consider - JoJo Hunter, Dave Logan, Jaquay Walls. R. Roby, Morandis, Robertson.

Uh, forgot about Donnie Boyce! Law was pretty good. My favorite all time buff was Jamal Mosley! Straight up banger!

I like Andre but in all honesty he will not make my top 10. Chauncey is number 1, Cliff Meeley is 2, after that in no particular order - Scott Wedman, Chuck Williams, Jay Humphries, Alex Burks, Shaun Vandiver, David Harrison, Pat Frink, Jim Davis. I left Matt Bullard out because he transferred out of CU. Others I consider - JoJo Hunter, Dave Logan, Jaquay Walls. R. Roby, Morandis, Robertson.

This is a tough one for me. I think that having a go-to scorer is the most important thing to have with a basketball team. That guy whose hands you want the basketball in at crunch time. Dre is not that guy.

But what makes the list difficult for me with Dre's placement is that I don't know if I should rank it in order of go-to scorers. If so, Dre's not Top 10. He may not be Top 20. But there's also the other side of that where I can look at it as once I have my go-to scorer, who is the 2nd player I'd want on my team. I think I win as many games if I have Chauncey and Dre instead of Chauncey and Alec. I think I win more games if I have Chauncey, Alec and Dre versus Chauncey, Alec and Meely.

This is a tough one for me. I think that having a go-to scorer is the most important thing to have with a basketball team. That guy whose hands you want the basketball in at crunch time. Dre is not that guy.

But what makes the list difficult for me with Dre's placement is that I don't know if I should rank it in order of go-to scorers. If so, Dre's not Top 10. He may not be Top 20. But there's also the other side of that where I can look at it as once I have my go-to scorer, who is the 2nd player I'd want on my team. I think I win as many games if I have Chauncey and Dre instead of Chauncey and Alec. I think I win more games if I have Chauncey, Alec and Dre versus Chauncey, Alec and Meely.

I assume that you never saw Meely play. The guy was an uncanny scorer. CU won the Big 12 when he was a sophomore, and averaged over 30 points a game in conference play as a senior plus he averaged over 12 rebounds a game. He also was tenacious on defense. He is so much better than Dre it is not funny and that is not a knock on Dre because I would say the same about almost every CU player except Chauncey. Meely could and did play every position on the floor - the guy was quick and agile.

After Chauncey I would want Meely over anyone else although Wedman would be close.

Last edited:
I assume that you never saw Meely play. The guy was an uncanny scorer. CU won the Big 12 when he was a sophomore, and averaged over 30 points a game in conference play as a senior plus he averaged over 12 rebounds a game. He also was tenacious on defense. He is so much better than Dre it is not funny and that is not a knock on Dre because I would say the same about almost every CU player except Chauncey. Meely could and did play every position on the floor - the guy was quick and agile.

After Chauncey I would want Meely over anyone else although Wedman would be close.

Meely was before I was born.

You may have nailed it with Balkman (who I thought was more like 6'10", not 6'8"). Regardless of whether he stays or goes, Dre has got to hit those weights.

Thats a very strange list. They have Hardaway Jr. going in the late second round whereas ESPN has him going in the lottery. If I were Dre I have no idea what to do. They have him all over the place.

Chicago bulls scout I talked to after the last Cal game said he see's Dre as a second round pick. He liked Dinwoodie and XJ much more than Dre. Said Dre had no offensive game and couldn't shoot free throws. But b/c he is athletic some team will take a chance on him in the second round. Rebounding and defense meant next to nothing to this guy. Go figure.

I like Andre but in all honesty he will not make my top 10. Chauncey is number 1, Cliff Meeley is 2, after that in no particular order - Scott Wedman, Chuck Williams, Jay Humphries, Alex Burks, Shaun Vandiver, David Harrison, Pat Frink, Jim Davis. I left Matt Bullard out because he transferred out of CU. Others I consider - JoJo Hunter, Dave Logan, Jaquay Walls. R. Roby, Morandis, Roberson.
What about Donnie Boyce? I think that he certainly deserves to be in the top 10. The guy carried the program from his senior year on ... arguably the best four year player at CU in the past 30 years ... and at the top two or three all time. The guy was a lottery lock by his junior year, but had his career cut short by the awful injury (similar to the Louisville kid) that occurred in the next to last game of his senior season.

What about Donnie Boyce? I think that he certainly deserves to be in the top 10. The guy carried the program from his senior year on ... arguably the best four year player at CU in the past 30 years ... and at the top two or three all time. The guy was a lottery lock by his junior year, but had his career cut short by the awful injury (similar to the Louisville kid) that occurred in the next to last game of his senior season.

FWIW, my dad has ESPN's college basketball encyclopedia, has at least a page on every team in the country, they list Birdie as CU's all time greatest.

Back