What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Andre (Edit: LEAVING FOR NBA)

Henderson's Blog said:
John and Andre have a choice. If he returns to school, along with Colorado’s other four starters from a 21-12 NCAA Tournament team, he could help carry the Buffaloes deep into the NCAA Tournament in front of a massive TV audience. A few high-profile games could help propel him into the first round.

He’d enter the NBA with a college degree as a safety net and, if he shot 3,000 times this offseason, a better jump shot.

Or he can come out early and trudge through three feet of snow to get on a bus in Maine for another road trip in the D-League. It’s their choice.

I don't agree with Henderson often, but he's right.

I think it is a tough call. The Draft is not deep this year - suppose to be deeper next year. So he could improve and still not change his draft position very much by coming back.

My own opinion is that he is not an NBA caliber talent. His hands are not good enough. But I have been wrong before.

I think it is a tough call. The Draft is not deep this year - suppose to be deeper next year. So he could improve and still not change his draft position very much by coming back.

My own opinion is that he is not an NBA caliber talent. His hands are not good enough. But I have been wrong before.
Dre's hands aren't the issue. It's his shot that will hold him back.

Dre's hands aren't the issue. It's his shot that will hold him back.

In the NBA his hands will be the issue. Everyone has to be able to handle the ball unless they are a 6'10" or above wide body. His mid-range shot is much better than his ball handling skills. He is never going to be a scorer in the NBA so to make it at that level he has to be able to rebound, defend, handle the ball and pass. He has trouble with the last two which is going to limit him at the next level.

It's a weak draft, but I do think there is a bit more potential to Dre's development of a shot than some believe (don't get me wrong, he's never going to be killing it from the perimeter). However, I disagree with those who say there's no way he can raise his stock anymore if he sticks around. He most certainly can. Of course, it remains to be seen (officially) if he chooses to do so, and whether he puts in the time in the gym to take care of the task at hand. Those who have followed my posts here know I've been one of the bigger skeptics of Dre leaving early since the debate started two years ago. I wish him nothing but the best, but it's beyond my desire for CU in the Elite 8 next year that still makes me believe he should strongly consider staying. Would be beyond painful next March to be seeing Dre in Sioux Falls after being a mid-range 2nd round pick and taking the "developmental route". And no, that's hardly an unrealistic scenario, god forbid.

Last edited:
Henderson is terrible.

This. A thousand times this.

Honestly, I feel for Dre. Heading in to this year, many thought he was a first round pick, and he tried to alter his game to show that and it backfired. Now he's stuck in a tricky spot. Does he cut his losses and go pro or does he stay and hope a Sweet 16 run boosts his stock back up again in a much tougher draft class? Plus you know his friends and the team are trying to encourage him to come back. I honsetly can't imagine how much pressure he's feeling right now.

It's a weak draft, but I do think there is a bit more potential to Dre's development of a shot than some believe (don't get me wrong, he's never going to be killing it from the perimeter). However, I disagree with those who say there's no way he can raise his stock anymore if he sticks around. He most certainly can. Of course, it remains to be seen (officially) if he chooses to do so, and whether he puts in the time in the gym to take care of the task at hand. Those who have followed my posts here know I've been one of the bigger skeptics of Dre leaving early since the debate started two years ago. I wish him nothing but the best, but it's beyond my desire for CU in the Elite 8 next year that still makes me believe he should strongly consider staying. Would be beyond painful next March to be seeing Dre in Sioux Falls after being a mid-range 2nd round pick and taking the "developmental route". And no, that's hardly an unrealistic scenario, god forbid.
If he's going undrafted as he has been in some of the mocks, of course he can raise his stock. He's not exactly a lottery pick, where there's almost nowhere to go but down in many cases.

I'm not sure what kind of student he is, but staying another year/graduating probably isn't the worst thing in the world regardless. It's a tough decision but leaving your mark on the best potential CU team in a long, long time would be something.

This. A thousand times this.

Honestly, I feel for Dre. Heading in to this year, many thought he was a first round pick, and he tried to alter his game to show that and it backfired. Now he's stuck in a tricky spot. Does he cut his losses and go pro or does he stay and hope a Sweet 16 run boosts his stock back up again in a much tougher draft class? Plus you know his friends and the team are trying to encourage him to come back. I honsetly can't imagine how much pressure he's feeling right now.
I feel like this debate has swung in both directions, myself included. I think he was pretty confident he was gone, that's why he sent out that tweet (which he later clarified and subequently deleted).

While I first said, I only thought he should go if he were a clear first round pick, which is very unlikely to happen, I'd say if he could be drafted in the middle of the 2nd round and all but get a guaranteed contract, I'd go if I were him. It's very tricky to say the least. As others have mentioned, I don't want to see him in some remote town or obscure country at this point next year.

In the NBA his hands will be the issue. Everyone has to be able to handle the ball unless they are a 6'10" or above wide body. His mid-range shot is much better than his ball handling skills. He is never going to be a scorer in the NBA so to make it at that level he has to be able to rebound, defend, handle the ball and pass. He has trouble with the last two which is going to limit him at the next level.

You don't lead the NCAA in rebounding 3/4 of the way through the season if you have bad hands. He can improve his ball handling, but I don't think thats a function of Dre having bad hands.

You don't lead the NCAA in rebounding 3/4 of the way through the season if you have bad hands. He can improve his ball handling, but I don't think thats a function of Dre having bad hands.

Dre's hands are fine. He needs to work on his jumper, FT shot, handle, and strength. He's got the rest.

If I were Dre, i would enter the draft without an agent. Go through those pre draft sessions and see what happens. Then if he decides to come back, he'll know exactly what he needs to do to get into that 1st round next year.

Dre's hands are fine. He needs to work on his jumper, FT shot, handle, and strength. He's got the rest.

If I were Dre, i would enter the draft without an agent. Go through those pre draft sessions and see what happens. Then if he decides to come back, he'll know exactly what he needs to do to get into that 1st round next year.

The NBA teams have already told him their thoughts. I know one team said go back to school. I dont know what the others said but most likely the same...

If Levi Knutson and Dufault can make comfortable livings playing in Europe (keeping the Dream alive ala Copeland), then Dre could do more than that after staying put at CU and graduating next spring, even if he's not a draft choice. Europe is not a bad option (its a very good one) these days as a developmental situation.

Gee, Sioux Falls, Bakersfield, Portland Maine or......Madrid, Rome or even Tel Aviv? Choices, choices:

"The worst part about basketball players staying in the USA and playing in the D-league is the fact that most D-league salaries range from only $12,000 to $24,000. Average overseas players can get a $65,000 contract with ease. Depending on the league that players get into in Europe, salaries can start as high as $100,000. Not only is there a big discrepancy between the salaries, but the money made in Europe is typically tax free. The club oftentimes will pay your taxes to the country you are playing in. That American who is playing overseas may also receive credit with the United States government for paying their taxes. Further, most European clubs commonly pay for a player’s living expenses. That includes providing a player with a car and lodging. So the player in Europe can be saved from taxes and the more expensive living expenses."

from http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2012...asketball-why-dont-more-players-go-to-europe/

Last edited:
If Levi Knutson and Dufault can make comfortable livings playing in Europe (keeping the Dream alive ala Copeland), then Dre could do more than that after staying put at CU and graduating next spring, even if he's not a draft choice. Europe is not a bad option (its a very good one) these days as a developmental situation.

Gee, Sioux Falls, Bakersfield, Portland Maine or......Madrid, Rome or even Tel Aviv? Choices, choices:

"The worst part about basketball players staying in the USA and playing in the D-league is the fact that most D-league salaries range from only $12,000 to $24,000. Average overseas players can get a $65,000 contract with ease. Depending on the league that players get into in Europe, salaries can start as high as $100,000. Not only is there a big discrepancy between the salaries, but the money made in Europe is typically tax free. The club oftentimes will pay your taxes to the country you are playing in. That American who is playing overseas may also receive credit with the United States government for paying their taxes. Further, most European clubs commonly pay for a player’s living expenses. That includes providing a player with a car and lodging. So the player in Europe can be saved from taxes and the more expensive living expenses."

from http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2012...asketball-why-dont-more-players-go-to-europe/

Playing in Europe over playing in the D-League is a no-brainer unless you are a player with a guaranteed NBA contract and they send you down. Nobody is going to argue that, but the big difference between Dre and Levi/Austin is that the NBA was never a real option for them. It is for Dre, if there NBA doesn't work out for him there will be other options, but nobody grows up dreaming of playing in Europe.

What a joke. I bet it is some sleezy agent. Roberson doesn't have the offensive game to go in the first round. He can do other things well, but I can't see any time risky a first round pick on a guy that was the 3rd/4th option on a college team.

Yeah, it's bad advice... I don't see anyone drafting him in the first round. More from Thorburn:
  • Ryan Thorburn ‏@RyanThorburn10m
    Boyle said if Roberson leaves they will go after a specific transfer and if they don't get that player the scholarship will be used in 2014.

I wonder what player they might be targeting? I do like the idea of holding back the scholarship if they can't get a very quality transfer to come in.

I hope that he is looking a multiple sources and does what is best for him. I really hope the day after the draft he is not a very dissappointed former Buffalo. This is what my gut tells me is going to happen though.

Unless Dre stays and dramatically improves his offensive game and becomes a first rounder, there is no real benefit NBA wise for him playing one more year at CU.

Unless Dre stays and dramatically improves his offensive game and becomes a first rounder, there is no real benefit NBA wise for him playing one more year at CU.

There's definitely benefits to coming back... he knows he'll be on a good team this year and he can get a degree. If he's going to be playing in Europe or D-League anyways, I think that will still be there next year.

There's definitely benefits to coming back... he knows he'll be on a good team this year and he can get a degree. If he's going to be playing in Europe or D-League anyways, I think that will still be there next year.

Really thinking more of the injury factor. But i agree that getting a degree and helping CU win the P-12 are worthy accomplishments. Personally, i would love to see him play one more year and graduate.

The only benefit would be that his body needs to get its "man growth" of filling out with more bulk and strength. There is a concern among NBA personnel people the things that Dre is elite at in college are things he won't be able to do in the NBA due to being overpowered. Rodman didn't enter the NBA until his mid-20s and didn't become a full-time starter until he was 29 or 30. Dre's timeline may require that his NBA dream is a few years off regardless of what decision he makes this year on the draft. If that's the case, he should stay in college. Maybe he goes through a body change in the next 12 months like we've seen with other guys and it vaults him into the 1st round next year.

Really thinking more of the injury factor. But i agree that getting a degree and helping CU win the P-12 are worthy accomplishments. Personally, i would love to see him play one more year and graduate.

As I recall, a player can insure against the injury factor. He can't insure against an NBA cut of a two-tool 2nd rounder or a UDFA, leading to bus rides out of Bakersfield or Canton, OH for $24K a year!

Andre needs a year to muscle up and work on his handles and his "O"; unless he really want to ride buses next year.

I was hoping to hear something today, sounds like it's still to be decided. I am thinking he'll leave at this point, and that's probably the best decision. He's pretty much tapped out his chances to improve against D1 talent ... time to go to a professional level.

I think Tad is a bit irritated with Andre getting bad info and isn't shy about expressing his frustration.
Sounds like Tad believes he should stay, but dre and his family are leaning towards the NBA route. This is a tough decision and if I was in Andre's shoes I dont even know what I would do.

Back