What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Andre Leaving?

Has to do with scholarship spots. If Dre was coming back and Simba did not leave, we were 1 over I believe. Simba leaving opens up the number needed if I counted correctly
With Chen and SHT graduating, we're still one over. Someone else will have to leave. But I don't think that SHT was pushed out to clear a spot. I think this is just a kid that was ready to move on to the next step.

Haven't really followed this thread. If you are selected in the first round, isn't your contract slotted and guaranteed as opposed to the second round?
Correct. First round contracts are guaranteed. For example, the last pick of the 1st round will be guaranteed around 1.7 million over two years, with a team option for a third. It's pretty typical that college players picked in round two will get some guaranteed money though, too. According to the link below, I count around a dozen second round picks who had their deals partially guaranteed. Many of them had two year guarantees, which is around 1.5m in guaranteed money. There's just more negotiation with those 2nd round deals.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/09/update-on-2012-second-rounders.html

With Chen and SHT graduating, we're still one over. Someone else will have to leave. But I don't think that SHT was pushed out to clear a spot. I think this is just a kid that was ready to move on to the next step.

Got it on the count and did not mean to suggest Simba was pushed. He is a 4th year Junior and graduating so not a big surprise he is going home. He was still a one of the big questions about spots for next year. I still think this is an indication that Dre is staying but I have no inside knowledge. Just my gut telling me he will be back. He was also pretty quick to let everyone know that his tweet did not necessarily mean it was his last game at the Keg.

Got it on the count and did not mean to suggest Simba was pushed. He is a 4th year Junior and graduating so not a big surprise he is going home. He was still a one of the big questions about spots for next year. I still think this is an indication that Dre is staying but I have no inside knowledge. Just my gut telling me he will be back. He was also pretty quick to let everyone know that his tweet did not necessarily mean it was his last game at the Keg.
OK, I mis-read your last post then. I took it to say that the staff may have pushed Shane out because they knew Dre was coming back and they needed the spot.

If I were Dre, I'd go. He's already seen the hit his stock can take in a year, and there's a huge risk of completely falling off the NBA radar with a poor senior season or an injury. There's no reason to jeopardize the opportunity to live your dream and make a ton of money along the way.

OK, I mis-read your last post then. I took it to say that the staff may have pushed Shane out because they knew Dre was coming back and they needed the spot.

If I were Dre, I'd go. He's already seen the hit his stock can take in a year, and there's a huge risk of completely falling off the NBA radar with a poor senior season or an injury. There's no reason to jeopardize the opportunity to live your dream and make a ton of money along the way.
If he had gone out last year, would he been higher than what he's currently supposed to be? To me the question is does he have a good shot at making it to the first round or as you said, falling off completely.

Also, to expand on the rookie contracts, it's actually in teams best interests to give the two year guaranteed deal with a team option for a third. The contracts are all league minimum deals, so it's not like teams save any money by not signing the kids. Also, if they keep them for three years, they keep their full Bird rights and can match any offers on the free agent market. If the kids show anything in their first two years, teams pick up the option and have the option of retaining them on a long term deal. If not, they cut them loose and really are only out the opportunity cost of having a different 15th man sitting on the end of their bench for two years. For those reasons, I expect Dre, who could project as a very solid role player, to get a guaranteed contract, even as a second round pick.

If he had gone out last year, would he been higher than what he's currently supposed to be? To me the question is does he have a good shot at making it to the first round or as you said, falling off completely.
I think his upside would've had him in round 1 last year. A lot of mock drafts had him as a borderline lottery pick entering this season, but his lack of offensive development has hurt him. Personally, I don't see him suddenly developing a strong offensive game next year, so I don't see a lot of upside with his stock, particularly in a stronger draft.

I hope Dre is focusing on this year, tuning out the thanks for the memories sentiments, playing against OSU and then Arizona. I saw he took down his tweets about last game at Coors, foreverbuffs, etc. We saw yesterday what happens when the team isn't focused.

I think his upside would've had him in round 1 last year. A lot of mock drafts had him as a borderline lottery pick entering this season, but his lack of offensive development has hurt him. Personally, I don't see him suddenly developing a strong offensive game next year, so I don't see a lot of upside with his stock, particularly in a stronger draft.
With what your saying, he probably should've gone last year but as a Buffs fan I'm happy he didn't though.

I hope Dre is focusing on this year, tuning out the thanks for the memories sentiments, playing against OSU and then Arizona. I saw he took down his tweets about last game at Coors, foreverbuffs, etc. We saw yesterday what happens when the team isn't focused.
It's not usually good to make "news" on Twitter!

Dre is going to lead the nation in rebounding while winning the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year award.

What's left to accomplish in college as a basketball player? He's maxed out. Time to go onto the NBA and the new challenges against a higher level of competition. Time to get ****ing paid and develop his game under NBA coaching & mentorship.

Dre is going to lead the nation in rebounding while winning the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year award.

What's left to accomplish in college as a basketball player? He's maxed out. Time to go onto the NBA and the new challenges against a higher level of competition. Time to get ****ing paid and develop his game under NBA coaching & mentorship.
You never know what a kid's motivation is for anything. He may feel like he's done all he can. But he may enjoy college and want to see what this team can do next year if they stay together. Lots of things will go into it, including advice from the experts, where he projects this year and next, etc.

You never know what a kid's motivation is for anything. He may feel like he's done all he can. But he may enjoy college and want to see what this team can do next year if they stay together. Lots of things will go into it, including advice from the experts, where he projects this year and next, etc.

I'm not going to cry in my beer if Dre pulls a surprise and comes back. But if he gets a 1st round grade, I volunteer to help Tad twist his arm into signing with an agent and getting those guaranteed millions.

First, If Dre leaves, best of luck to him, I think he made the right decision. Get paid when they are willing to pay you the big bucks.

But, if Dre stays, I also think he made the right decision. Yes, he is a good rebounder, and a good defender, and if he could have made it possibly in the first round great, but I believe he could really improve other parts of his game. His offensive game I believe is there, just needs to be matured, as well as his ball handling.

Overall, seems to be a good decision for him to make, and overall, I think he makes the right decision regardless.

I would love nothing more than seeing Andre come back because I think the 2013-14 team could be the best CU team ever with him. Realistically, however, I think he goes. If you look at mock drafts like NBADraft.net, there are hardly any seniors projected in the first round. There are only four of them, and all but Plumlee of Duke blew up this year. It's almost as if seniors are discounted. The first ten players are a FR, FR, SO, FR, FR, FR, SO, SO, JR, FR.

The second round is full of seniors, with 17 of the 30 projected.

I would love nothing more than seeing Andre come back because I think the 2013-14 team could be the best CU team ever with him. Realistically, however, I think he goes. If you look at mock drafts like NBADraft.net, there are hardly any seniors projected in the first round. There are only four of them, and all but Plumlee of Duke blew up this year. It's almost as if seniors are discounted. The first ten players are a FR, FR, SO, FR, FR, FR, SO, SO, JR, FR.

It's been this way for years. That's exactly what many of us here have been arguing- the NBA values upside over performance/polish and there's more risk to Dre in staying than leaving.

On another note, this is why I like us recruiting in the Top 50-150 prospect range so much. They're good enough to contribute a lot as freshmen, but the best of them likely need to develop their bodies and games for 2 or 3 years before going pro. I think you get a lot of prima donnas and an erosion of program culture if you load up on Top 25 types who were likely good enough to play in the NBA as high school kids. Give me a Spencer Dinwiddie over a Tony Wroten every time.

On another note, this is why I like us recruiting in the Top 50-150 prospect range so much. They're good enough to contribute a lot as freshmen, but the best of them likely need to develop their bodies and games for 2 or 3 years before going pro. I think you get a lot of prima donnas and an erosion of program culture if you load up on Top 25 types who were likely good enough to play in the NBA as high school kids. Give me a Spencer Dinwiddie over a Tony Wroten every time.
Agreed. I'm not all that excited about the one and done types and I hope Tad isn't either. I like where are recruiting is at right now.

If I'm his old man, besides being black, I'd tell him to go if he is a sure first rounder. But, alas, I am neither his dad nor am I black.

If I'm his old man, besides being black, I'd tell him to go if he is a sure first rounder. But, alas, I am neither his dad nor am I black.

You may not be black, but your prom suit definitely looks like something Jimmy Walker would have worn on Good Times.

casting-good-times.jpg

Not much left to prove for Dre.

I see where you're going, but basketball is a team game and the buffs (particularly if dre sticks around) will have plenty to prove next year. That's a once in a life time opportunity.

I think he stays. No rhyme or reason, but I dont think he his draft stock is high enough for it to be worth it to go out.

Great performances in the P12 and NCAA tourneys will help his draft status. First step, playing in the games. Per twitter, he's hopeful he'll be back.

I don't know whether he should go or stay. His younger sister is at CU and he'll get paid by the NBA sooner or later (barring catastrophic injury next year if he stays). Dre is a late 1st or early 2nd, but the guaranteed money aspect isn't a factor as others eloquently put forth earlier in this thread. Kid could stick around the league for years.

I won't cry in my beer whether Dre stays or leaves, but if he and the Mayor leave?

the Mayor aint leaving. He isn't even projected in the draft mocks. Plus his performance in the last couple games hasn't been dominating with his shooting. He will go next year and the NBA will be drooling over his 6 foot 6 frame and ability to do everything.

Pointed this out in another thread, but I'll bring it here since it's actually more relevant to this thread.

NBAdraft.net has Andre going to Sacramento with the 35th pick... in NEXT years draft! Unless he thinks he can't improve his game and get back to where he was once thought of, he needs to come back next year.

Also, on the same site, Spencer has moved up to #19 overall on the big board. That's up 24 spots since their last update. I Spencer plays well to end this year, we could absolutely lose him. His stock is shooting up.

It's great that you guys are arguing what someone else should do, but you're wasting your breath. The decision is all but made at this point.

Back