What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Andre's Gone....What's your prediction for 13-14??

The team will be better next season without Roberson. Roberson is a great defensive player but offensively he was a liability.

G- Mayor, Talton, Stalzer
SG- Booker, Hopkins
SF- Johnson, Jenkins, Fletcher
C- Scott, Gordon, Mills
PF- Thomas

I will like one more player added, a physical presence inside the paint. I will predict about 22 wins and maybe a sweet 16 appearance.
:lol:

Lets get this straight:

Losing the best defender in the conference and 2nd best (arguably best) rebounder in the country helps the basketball team.

Losing oft-injured backup quarterback who could never win the starting job and with a mediocre performance when he did play is a disaster for the football team.

Other guys will step up. Hopefully Scott hits the weights hard in the off season. Gordon is an improvement over Tunks. You lose some defense, but you gain more depth and more offense.

Good luck to Roberson. Some folks will be surprised of Dustin Thomas and Wesley Gordon next year. They are also good defenders.

Ugh.... Can we please stop with this crap being the standard response if anyone questions anything. If he plays significant minutes, then the guys we signed aren't as good as we hoped.

All I'm saying is that I heard it from an extremely reliable source. It could easily be to get him to work harder in the weight room (and lunch room) so that maybe he'll come to surprise next fall. With basically no significant minutes in his 3 years, maybe he's just trying to make sure his work ethic doesn't fall. That's just what I heard. It's not ridiculous to imagine him getting more playing time next year. He did hold his own pretty well against U of A in the tourney last year.

Imagine the match-up problems this lineup could cause

Booker 6'
Dinwiddie 6'6"
Johnson 6'7"
Scott 6'9"
Mills 7'

Same as they were before...

25 regular season wins
PAC 12 Tournament Champions
Top 5 seed
Sweet 16 win

I really don't think we will see much of, if any of a drop off without Dre. We lose defense but add scoring and a bench. I think there is a near certainty that this team will be much better next year even without Dre due to us now having a bench (and a talented one at that), returning a more mature and experienced Scott and XJ, a lottery pick in Spencer, and the addition of Gordon who by all accounts is a monster shot blocker and rebounder.

Yes unproven commodities are always better than current production.

Think: "Oregon game in Boulder" last season. Only add in five guys, four of whom are better offensively than Dre, the other of whom is bigger and has the same rep as Dre for defense and boarding, (as well as having played against Dre and Scott for more than a year); Scott 25 lbs. heavier and stronger; more mature and stronger players in XJ, Talton and Stalzer; plus an improved Mills, who's got to "showcase" for the next level---be it D League, Europe, Asia, whatever....and at the same time giving up Dre's TO's, lack of offensive boards and shaky FT shooting.

Hmmmm, not too shabby an exchange really.

We're better with Dre than without him.

I posted that I believe we'll have about the same season without him, but what I didn't say is that I believe our ceiling is lower and our margin for error is much thinner. We can't absorb an injury. We won't create the same sorts of matchup problems or have the same level of lineup versatility. We won't get as many extra possessions through the dirty work Dre does.

The only reason I posted equal expectations is that I believe in our young talent and that it will step up. But don't for a second try to tell me that Dre wasn't a HUGE loss.

I posted that I believe we'll have about the same season without him, but what I didn't say is that I believe our ceiling is lower and our margin for error is much thinner. We can't absorb an injury. We won't create the same sorts of matchup problems or have the same level of lineup versatility. We won't get as many extra possessions through the dirty work Dre does.

The only reason I posted equal expectations is that I believe in our young talent and that it will step up. But don't for a second try to tell me that Dre wasn't a HUGE loss.
yo, idiots and assholes, this is the correct answer.

Think: "Oregon game in Boulder" last season. Only add in five guys, four of whom are better offensively than Dre, the other of whom is bigger and has the same rep as Dre for defense and boarding, (as well as having played against Dre and Scott for more than a year); Scott 25 lbs. heavier and stronger; more mature and stronger players in XJ, Talton and Stalzer; plus an improved Mills, who's got to "showcase" for the next level---be it D League, Europe, Asia, whatever....and at the same time giving up Dre's TO's, lack of offensive boards and shaky FT shooting.

Hmmmm, not too shabby an exchange really.

Think: "Oregon State game in Boulder" last season. Remember how we were without the team's best defender (by far) and one of the top rebounders not only in the nation, but in school history. Then remember that he was arguably the team leader and someone that everyone respected. We can hope that the five incoming players live up to their expectations, but have to remember that there are guys like Angelo Chol at Arizona who came in with "top 75 in the nation" recruit status with arguably an NBA ready body and only put up 2.8 points and 2.3 rebounds a game for a team that desperately could have used some size up front.

Hmmmmmmmm, definitely something that we need to be concerned about really.

It amazes me how some Buff fans are willing to throw Dre under the bus right now.

I think Oregon game in Oregon and remember dress put the team on his back and clinched that one for us.

Or we can talk about Oregon State in Boulder if we want to continue using single games to define a season.

Let's all go back and look at win share stats that jg puts out, thank dress for being a great buff and also bringing national attention to the program and being an minimal on the court. He never got in trouble, did good academically and hopefully will have a tremendous NBA career where the buffs get mentioned a lot.

Now some of us need to find new favorite players.

People keep wanting to point out Dre's limited offensive game - which is fair - but they ignore some of the freaky numbers he put up.

* 2nd leading rebounder in school history with 1,045 career rebounds
* Only men's player in history to have 1,000+ points, 1,000+ rebounds, 150+ blocks, 150+ steals and 100+ assists
* Only CU player to lead team three straight years in rebounding, steals & blocked shots
* 3rd in school history in blocks (150)
* 7th in school history in steals (164)
* Only the 29th player in CU history to score 1,000+ points (1,012)
* Holds the freshman, sophomore and junior season rebounding records
* 2012-13 Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year
* 2011-12 & 2012-13 Pac-12 First Team
* 2011-12 & 2012-13 Pac-12 All-Defensive Team
* 2011-12 Pac-12 All-Tournament Team
* 2011-12 & 2012-13 Male Athlete of the Year at CU Sports Performers of the Year Awards
* Played in 102 consecutive games before missing the game against Oregon on March 7th due to a viral illness.

Team:
* Member of the first back-to-back NCAA Tournament teams in Colorado history since 1961-62 & 1962-63.
* Team won 69 games with Roberson - the most over any 3 year period in school history
* Team went to three consecutive post-season appearances for the first time in school history

I think there are a lot of people who are making good points - those that said dre's loss isnt huge I think need their head checked. Looking at the oregon game last year in the P12 tourney and this year in eugene, he won those games for us by grabbing offensive boards and getting a put back in both cases. He was also very strong defensively (See goose's award list for dre, which is long and distinguished....), which is a huge loss. No one knows how gordon is going to play in his first few games in november, or how he's going to stack up once conf play starts. I remember it took jelly a bit of time to find his groove, and I wouldnt be surprised if gordon followed a similar route. He does have a year of practice going for him which jelly did not, but he's still lacking experience.

I will second nik that we are better with dre than without him. What team can you think of in any sport that is better without their best defensive player? IF dre had stayed obviously we would be better - we would have the same parts as we do right now, plus the nations leading rebounder and one of the best glass-cleaners and defenders in school history. There's no way keeping a better player will make us worse. Yes, he did have some offensive liabilities, but he went to the draft to work on those - he wouldnt have gotten the touches/chances at CU, most likely.

This season could go down in history as tads best at the helm of CU, or something could go sideways. We are never going to know, but with jenkins & gordon coming off redshirts, ben mills consuming 15,000 calories per day and hitting the weights like bobby brown, he'd be a great inside presence to back up jelly (or start, if that's how it shakes out). In addition, we are going to have 3 solid kids come in and potentially another transfer (or a freshman, and if that happens I'd bet 1 of them gets red-shirted), so our offense wont be offensive like it was at times last year.

Losing dre is going to hurt, but it's not the end of the world, and it's not going to turn this into a better team. For those of you looking for a new favorite player, look no further than #14.

I think what the optimistic people, albeit rather poorly, is that we may finally have a deep, talented roster with talent in the pipeline that needs to see time on the floor. While I agree in theory, in actuality we are losing one great college player. It may work but there is an unknown.

"That's the struggle he was fighting," John Roberson said. "Was it more about 'Dre and fulfilling his dream or more about getting wins? "I think it has to go both ways. If you're going to develop him, develop him. Don't just take the point of view of, 'We need 'Dre so we can have a Final Four team or a top-10 team.' Now if you look at it that way, it's selfish as opposed to (Andre) being selfish."
Boyle heard Roberson's comments and said his job is not to train players specifically for the NBA.
"My job as Colorado basketball coach is to develop all of our players as much as I can," Boyle said. "That's our staff's job as well. I have great assistant coaches who I think do a very good job of development. We're trying to develop all of our players, not just Andre.
"We want to get better from week to week, month to month and year to year. Everybody develops at a different rate in their own way. With development, we get everybody on the same page playing for Colorado basketball and the name across their chests. There's a reason we don't have names on the backs of our jerseys."
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_23148396/andre-roberson-left-colorado-nba-because-coaches-failed

Pretty much this. There's enough talent on next year's roster to win more games than last year, with or without Dre, but the roster is not as good today as it was last week. I'm pretty certain that a year from now we'll look back on the season and see a couple of losses that we absolutely would have won had Dre been on the team. Whether those games come in December and January, or in March will determine whether we meet expectations or not.

I think we all agree the half-court offense was our biggest weakness (or one of) this year, so in that context this team may benefit from the loss of 'Dre.

I am not saying we are better off without him, but I think there's some truth in the thinking that our offense has a higher ceiling considering the amount of high-potent offense players coming in from HS or RS (Jenkins, Fletcher, Thomas, Hopkins).

If the team continues to play defense at a high level and the offensive ceiling is higher, then this team could be better.

'Dre certainly won us a few games this year with defense, rebounds and put-backs, but someone else can (and hopefully will) elevate their play at the end of games like he would.

It would have been great to have him this year, but I am excited to see who steps up this season.

I think we all agree the half-court offense was our biggest weakness (or one of) this year, so in that context this team may benefit from the loss of 'Dre.

I am not saying we are better off without him, but I think there's some truth in the thinking that our offense has a higher ceiling considering the amount of high-potent offense players coming in from HS or RS (Jenkins, Fletcher, Thomas, Hopkins).

If the team continues to play defense at a high level and the offensive ceiling is higher, then this team could be better.

'Dre certainly won us a few games this year with defense, rebounds and put-backs, but someone else can (and hopefully will) elevate their play at the end of games like he would.

It would have been great to have him this year, but I am excited to see who steps up this season.

The one thing you can't overlook offensively is how Dre's perimeter defense created fast-break opportunities. The half-court offense has to improve next year, because Dre created a lot of turnovers.

The one thing you can't overlook offensively is how Dre's perimeter defense created fast-break opportunities. The half-court offense has to improve next year, because Dre created a lot of turnovers.

Yup, the team averaged 7 steals per game, 2 coming from 'Dre (67 of 230 total steals). Chen also had about 1 per game (28 for the season).

Based now upon what I'm reading about why Dre left (from his father) I say the Buffs WILL be better without him. Period!

You don't need your so-called "best player" hanging around, with a someone always whispering in his ear, "Screw the wins and your teammates, work on YOUR OWN game for the next level!" Gee, that kind of attitude is exactly what, in large part, caused a talented UK team to crater this year. Dissension in the locker room is not a good thing, its now appearing better for the team that Dre moved on, based upon what his old man said. Talk about "poisoning the well"!

Consider too, that perhaps one of the big reasons the half-court "O" was so poor this year, was precisely because a big part of it was supposed to run through Dre and he simply was not up to the task? The holes in the stat lines from his leaving will likely be easily filled by a combo of both returning and new players. Take away that potential attitude issue and the team should be better.

I hope you guys are being sarcastic because there is no way Ben sees more than a couple minutes here and there all year.

We lose Andre, Adams, and SHT. All of them front court players. We get Gordon and an incoming Freshman to replace them. Front court depth WILL be an issue. Mills is going to see more minutes. There is no getting around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

We lose Andre, Adams, and SHT. All of them front court players. We get Gordon and an incoming Freshman to replace them. Front court depth WILL be an issue. Mills is going to see more minutes. There is no getting around it.

Umm, Adams was a perimeter player, definitely not a post guy. Tunks was the worst player for the Buffs everytime he steped on the court. Fans would be excited if he could get a rebound or make a layup and not turn it over.

CU will definitely miss Roberson on the glass and defense, but we should be much stronger next year on offense with so many options and a deep bench offensively. Mills will probably only get minutes if Gordon/Thomas/Fletcher/Scott are in foul trouble. Can Boyle get the frosh to play defense? That will determine how far we go!

Based now upon what I'm reading about why Dre left (from his father) I say the Buffs WILL be better without him. Period!

You don't need your so-called "best player" hanging around, with a someone always whispering in his ear, "Screw the wins and your teammates, work on YOUR OWN game for the next level!" Gee, that kind of attitude is exactly what, in large part, caused a talented UK team to crater this year. Dissension in the locker room is not a good thing, its now appearing better for the team that Dre moved on, based upon what his old man said. Talk about "poisoning the well"!

Consider too, that perhaps one of the big reasons the half-court "O" was so poor this year, was precisely because a big part of it was supposed to run through Dre and he simply was not up to the task? The holes in the stat lines from his leaving will likely be easily filled by a combo of both returning and new players. Take away that potential attitude issue and the team should be better.

You forgot the sarcasm font, or at least I hope you did.

I still don't think size will be a huge issue. We had three players over 6'7" active last year, and one of them couldn't get off the bench. Gordon isn't quite as big as SHT, but his length and athleticism should more than make up for that. I think we'll get more production, and more minutes out of him than SHT last year, improving our effective size. Thomas brings in some extra size at 6'8" and should see some time at the 4. I'd also expect to see XJ spend a lot of time at the 4 as well, as he was very effective there last year. Finally, Scott should be a little bigger next hear and better able to handle physical play, which will help. Add in a handful of 6'5"-6'7" wings who can help out on the boards and Mills should only see the court if he earns the time.

Our biggest issue is still guard depth. I'm much more worried about whether we can have 3 guys who can handle on the court at the same time. Some players in the program need to develop and some freshmen have to be ready. There was way too much pressure on Mayor and Ski last year - especially Mayor. When he tweaked his ankle in the opener, I was afraid the season was over. I never want to have that kind of fear over our depth again.

Our biggest issue is still guard depth. I'm much more worried about whether we can have 3 guys who can handle on the court at the same time. Some players in the program need to develop and some freshmen have to be ready. There was way too much pressure on Mayor and Ski last year - especially Mayor. When he tweaked his ankle in the opener, I was afraid the season was over. I never want to have that kind of fear over our depth again.
This. And it's exactly why I think Hopkins may be the most important of the 3 incoming freshmen.

Back