What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Annual Game with CSU - wanted to get updated opinions

What should be the future of the CU-CSU series?

• Continue at Inveso every year

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Move it on campus every year

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Continue at Invesco with breaks in the series

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Move it on campus with breaks in the series

Votes: 63 42.9%
  • Kill it with fire

Votes: 58 39.5%

• Total voters
NONE of your arguments, or anyone else's here, has convinced me that playing CSU is bad for CU. In fact, losing to lower division schools, as we have done of late, is far worse for CU than playing CSU (who we beat those same years).

CSU will not go away if we stop playing them.
Other out of state schools will continue to steel our best recruits, wether we play CSU or not.
Hiring crappy coaches and low balling the AD by CU's own Admin is worse for CU than playing CSU.
Traveling out of state for a home/home costs CU a lot more scratch than playing CSU costs.

How's it good for CU to go to Hawaii? If you drop this game your going to add a six figure travel cost center to the budget for a game that currently costs the school a little more than a charter bus fees. Were not going to play AFA.

You people's warped reality about this game is amusing. The joy I take of reminding my CSU friends that 'don't forget it but you guys lost to the worst team in the P12' can not be replaced by Sisters of the Blind Community College's team. :lol:
Miami comes off a bit weird here.

Miami comes off a bit weird here.

I think you've all lost touch with reality. You all seriously want to drop the only (practically) guaranteed FBS win on the schedule over the last five seasons? :lol:

Next you'll try and convince me that we will win 4 games or more. :rofl:

I'll believe that when I see it. :rofl2:

By the way, I bought season tickets this year too. So bite me. :tini:

NONE of your arguments, or anyone else's here, has convinced me that playing CSU is bad for CU. In fact, losing to lower division schools, as we have done of late, is far worse for CU than playing CSU (who we beat those same years).

Other out of state schools will continue to steel our best recruits, wether we play CSU or not.
Hiring crappy coaches and low balling the AD by CU's own Admin is worse for CU than playing CSU.
Traveling out of state for a home/home costs CU a lot more scratch than playing CSU costs.

How's it good for CU to go to Hawaii? If you drop this game your going to add a six figure travel cost center to the budget for a game that currently costs the school a little more than a charter bus fees. Were not going to play AFA.

You people's warped reality about this game is amusing. The joy I take of reminding my CSU friends that 'don't forget it but you guys lost to the worst team in the P12' can not be replaced by Sisters of the Blind Community College's team. :lol:

I agree that there are worse things than playing CSU.

I disagree that playing Hawaii is one of them. When we go there, we get an extra game. Money's good. Plus, it's a recruiting tool to say that you'll get to go to Hawaii.

I fail to see what you like about the CSU game other than the joy you get from bragging that you cheer for the tallest midget.

CU needs to act like it wears big boy pants. Having a neutral site rivalry with a below average non-P5 team is pretty much the opposite of that.

You people's warped reality about this game is amusing. The joy I take of reminding my CSU friends that 'don't forget it but you guys lost to the worst team in the P12' can not be replaced by scheduling Sisters of the Blind Community College's team. :lol:

Oh my

I agree that there are worse things than playing CSU.

1. I disagree that playing Hawaii is one of them. When we go there, we get an extra game. Money's good. Plus, it's a recruiting tool to say that you'll get to go to Hawaii.

2. I fail to see what you like about the CSU game other than the joy you get from bragging that you cheer for the tallest midget.

3. CU needs to act like it wears big boy pants. Having a neutral site rivalry with a below average non-P5 team is pretty much the opposite of that.

1. 'Money's good'? We scheduled them on a home and home did we not? We paid them to come here, they paid us to go there. Add in the charter plane and the fact that you can't drive the equipment truck to Hawaii and I doubt we net much more than we would off of other programs that are in the lower 48. Sure, Hawaii is a nice stop for the players. Do we fly the whole team including red shirts? Or just essential personnel? I know we scored some recruits from there in the past but the guy behind that is no longer with the program.

2. We're state champions. Playing AFA is like playing Harvard or Yale; those kids are there for reasons other than football. And we don't play them. I have a lot of CSU neighbors and two very close friends to rip on. Sometimes I even go to the game with them so I can spill beer on them. There not bad folks. I think it's fun.

3. Until CU is in the Top 25 again no one outside of each schools fan base gives a rip about this game. And even if they were ranked no one would give a rip until both teams were ranked. Maybe maybe maybe a few people tune in because its the best of the early season games.

Do you give a rip about Penn State Syracuse? No? Well, its important to someone somewhere on the east coast. What about NC State and ECU? SMU TCU? There are a lot of midgets in college football. Who doesn't like midgets? They're mostly nice people. Based on our national rankings in offensive and defensive categories were the shorter midget but we seem to win this game. Maybe the players know that the next step below rock bottom is losing to CSU. And there not going to let us go there. Thats some motivation. Something to start with.

Last edited:
Money's good on Hawaii because when we go there, we get a 13th game. So we get the benefits of playing at Hawaii plus the revenue from a home game.

Anyway, enjoy your Superbowl in a couple months and for however many more years RG keeps playing it.

Money's good on Hawaii because when we go there, we get a 13th game. So we get the benefits of playing at Hawaii plus the revenue from a home game.

Anyway, enjoy your Superbowl in a couple months and for however many more years RG keeps playing it.

Jebus man. Its just a game. It's entertainment. Sorry I got under your skin. I'll stay out of the football forum. God forbid someone has a different opinion around here... :rolling_eyes:

Jebus man. Its just a game. It's entertainment. Sorry I got under your skin. I'll stay out of the football forum. God forbid someone has a different opinion around here... :rolling_eyes:

Don't think you got under his skin, but just that you're being dumb

I think you might have read some tone in my post that wasn't there. I was serious - enjoy the game. I don't begrudge that.

My only problem was with the attitude that CU is going to perpetually suck so we may as well embrace that.

Do we know what RG really thinks of this game? Does he realize that the vast majority of true Buff fans would like to axe it from being an annual event?

Do we know what RG really thinks of this game? Does he realize that the vast majority of true Buff fans would like to axe it from being an annual event?

He's told a number of people that he wants it out of Denver, at the least. Talk is cheap, though. Until I see that there is a change to the series, I'll assume it's pandering to the base.

2) The CSU "rivalry" causes a lot of people in the state (CSU alum residents outnumber CU alum residents) to direct bitterness toward CU. Possibly the main reason this is an unhealthy annual rivalry game for the Buffs.

Your number 2 is an interesting point. If we did not play the Rams each year would the local Ram fans still be unleashing their foaming, belligerent hatred of all things CU and Boulder. Likely not. The game incites them even further whenever we win and empowers them whenever we lose.

Even supposed "Professional" CSU fans like Susie Wargen have trouble ever saying anything nice about CU. Does she do this to DU? to Airforce? Likely not because as a Rams fan her biggest event each year is the Rocky Mountain Show Down.

If we don't play the Rams negative people instate become more neutral. Turning are biggest Instate haters into neutral bystanders.
I really don't care about CSU and actually follow them and root for them up into the point when I run into their insane fans. The insane hatred they direct at CU is mind blowing. It is somewhat orchestrated by their admin though because at the end of the day there are NO CSU fans, only CU haters. This is how everything up there has been marketed.

For a game that does nothing for us other than a small pay day I say get rid of it. Especially, if one of the primary effects is having is breeding critics/ haters of our program instate.

2 out of 133 votes for continuing the series as is at Invesco. Let's just say Miami is in an extreme minority and move on.

I think you might have read some tone in my post that wasn't there. I was serious - enjoy the game. I don't begrudge that.

My only problem was with the attitude that CU is going to perpetually suck so we may as well embrace that.

Than I misread your intent.

I do not think CU will perpetually suck. But I also don't see any reason for us to come out of the hole so to speak this fall either and Im a realist. I think MM a good game coach but he is still stuck with some of the players he inherited and he has to play them. I think the quality of play will tick up again this fall as it did last fall but we will still not be at a level thats able to put together a complete game and chalk up more wins. We just don't have the players yet. And this time there are no FCS teams either. But its just one year. 2015 is when I believe we will touch .500 as the redshirts come off and more of his guys are on the team than not. Then maybe they play better and at a higher level. At this point hopefully recruiting finally turns for the better.

Im sorry but I refuse to drink any koolaid of any color like I did in the 90s.

2 out of 133 votes for continuing the series as is at Invesco. Let's just say Miami is in an extreme minority and move on.
He wasn't frothing over keeping it at Invesco, just keeping them on the schedule. Almost 60% agree with that notion (in some fashion).

Than I misread your intent.

I do not think CU will perpetually suck. But I also don't see any reason for us to come out of the hole so to speak this fall either and Im a realist. I think MM a good game coach but he is still stuck with some of the players he inherited and he has to play them. I think the quality of play will tick up again this fall as it did last fall but we will still not be at a level thats able to put together a complete game and chalk up more wins. We just don't have the players yet. And this time there are no FCS teams either. But its just one year. 2015 is when I believe we will touch .500 as the redshirts come off and more of his guys are on the team than not. Then maybe they play better and at a higher level. At this point hopefully recruiting finally turns for the better.

Im sorry but I refuse to drink any koolaid of any color like I did in the 90s.

Conventional wisdom from non-partisan observers would agree with your assessment of things.

Where I'm at is that teams under- or out-perform conventional wisdom expectations all the time. Most of us are wrong on the majority of our preseason forecasts. I am confident that the undercurrent of what's going on is very positive and that this is a group of players and coaches that have actually come together as a team. That's something we haven't had here in a long time. With all that and the soft schedule to start the year, I believe that things set up to have a nice little mediocre season that's a year ahead of schedule.

Back