What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Another Letter to Bohn

Buffalo Brad

Club Member
Club Member
Just sent this to Mike.

Hi Mike,

This is a follow up to our one on one conversation in Austin. During that conversation we talked about how the program in general is bigger than each of us as individuals, coach Hawkins or any single individual. I told you that I was disturbed by our direction and you stated you would do what was necessary to protect CU Athletics. I promised you patience and told you I would hold off judgement until after the middle of the schedule played out. I have seen enough to know that Coach Hawkins is over his head and he has an extreme blind eye when it comes to his son as a quarterback.

Coach Hawkins has been good for one signature win each of the last 3 seasons: OU 2 years ago, WV last year and KU this year. If you take those wins away from his overall record, you have a coach who has not made any progress in his almost 4 years. We are losing games we should not. The games we are losing we are getting beat badly. They are not close loses like Coach Mac suffered in 84 (and Hawk has not faced the tragedy that Mac did in 84 either). This is not progress. We are headed to our 4th straight losing season. That has never happened at this great University before as far as I have seen (not even in the dark, dark Fairbanks days). A once proud and respected program has been turned into a laughing stock across college football. Enough is enough.

What do we get in response from Coach Hawkins? All we get from Coach Hawkins are excuses, blaming the youth of the team, and a very defensive coach that dismisses any criticism he receives (see quotes about never risking anything, or never played, or the quotes about Joel Klatt). He has become a huge liability for the program. His Zen Master personality works well if you are winning. With a track record of losing like he has built, it makes him appear folksy and over his head. His lack of self accountability and the defensive way he is dealing with the press and fans does not bode well for maintaining a loyal fan base in tough economic times. You really do not want him driving the core away, believe me. Once they leave, you have little to build your house on.

This experiment has run its course. In an effort to save a recruiting class (which is going to be horrific if he stays), you need to cut him loose now. Name an interim and get a head start on bringing the next coach in. To protect the future, you need to make this change. I know it is hard to admit he was not the guy, but he is not the guy. Make the call and let's start looking at the future.

Go Buffs!

Nice letter.

Something I wish I'd put in my email and will next week:

If you were hiring a head coach today, knowing what you know now, would that coach be Dan Hawkins? If the answer to that question isn't "Yes", then you need a new coach.

Back