What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Another "negative" thread on recruting...composite rankings

J-R-K

First, although outliers-such as Addison Gillam do exists, there is direct correlation between a player's star rating and the likelihood that they will have a successful career. Although many people want to fight this idea, it's a proven fact.

The 247 sports composite rankings combine their own player ratings with the ratings from Rivals, Scout, and ESPN. In other words you get an average of where each player stands and this aggregate ranking is in theory the most accurate representation of ability. 98-100= 5 stars, 90-97= 4 stars, 80-89= 3 stars, 70-79= 2 stars. Our average score when combining these composite ranking for all our commits is a 79, in other words our "mean" recruit is an upper-tier 2-star player.

We're the only "power conference" team with a score below an 81. Some non-power conference schools who managed a higher score then us include- Temple, San Diego State, Houston, South Florida, Central Florida, BYU, Cincinnati, Boise State, and Western Michigan. Other schools at a 79 include-Rice, Tulane, Louisiana Tech, Tulsa, East Carolina, and Marshall.

Wow. What an original and wonderful topic you have discovered. Have you ever thought about Darian Hagan as an RB coach? I bet you also have original thoughts about that subject as well.

Water is wet and the sky is blue. No one claims CU is recruiting at the level we need to right now. Bitching about it sure as hell doesn't do any good either. Win football games, build facilities and recruiting will get better.

JRK, what exactly is your point? Our recruiting sucks, you don't like the recruits or we can't win without 4 and 5 star recruits? MM got more out of the same kids last year than we had seen for the past few years. He recruited good athletes, quality kids, from winning programs. As we improve, we will be in on more kids that you would approve of, THAT is a fact

First, although outliers-such as Addison Gillam do exists, there is direct correlation between a player's star rating and the likelihood that they will have a successful career. Although many people want to fight this idea, it's a proven fact.

The 247 sports composite rankings combine their own player ratings with the ratings from Rivals, Scout, and ESPN. In other words you get an average of where each player stands and this aggregate ranking is in theory the most accurate representation of ability. 98-100= 5 stars, 90-97= 4 stars, 80-89= 3 stars, 70-79= 2 stars. Our average score when combining these composite ranking for all our commits is a 79, in other words our "mean" recruit is an upper-tier 2-star player.

We're the only "power conference" team with a score below an 81. Some non-power conference schools who managed a higher score then us include- Temple, San Diego State, Houston, South Florida, Central Florida, BYU, Cincinnati, Boise State, and Western Michigan. Other schools at a 79 include-Rice, Tulane, Louisiana Tech, Tulsa, East Carolina, and Marshall.

Assuming you want to talk about this and not to troll.

A short coming with the composites from 247 is that they rely on AZ to actually do his job review film and advocate for the players CU is pulling as he is their prime person covering us. Now given he didnt even bother to watch Fields film (He's so on top of that well known secret he thought his name was Shields) until after he had committed or that other players were not added or added correctly until after signing day how well do you think the 247 portion of the composite holds up for us?

Scout has really stepped up their coverage of us with the new guy so that leaves us with roughly 1/4th of the composite on CU is garbage and the responsibility of a "corespondent" who blames his own inability to keep plug-ins update on CU being rinky-dink.

Also, a guy with an offer from CU is, say, a 2* recruit. He then gets an offer from USC or Stanford and commits so now he is bumped to a 3* guy. Same player, hasn't touched a ball, grown or played a game but since he's wanted by a higher ranked program, so, he's now a higher ranked player. Lots-o-flaws in the system.

Also, a guy with an offer from CU is, say, a 2* recruit. He then gets an offer from USC or Stanford and commits so now he is bumped to a 3* guy. Same player, hasn't touched a ball, grown or played a game but since he's wanted by a higher ranked program, so, he's now a higher ranked player. Lots-o-flaws in the system.
Don't take this the wrong way, but this has been discussed before.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this has been discussed before.

can you provide a link? this is the first thread i've seen that discusses * rating, recruiting bias, and questioning CU's ability to recruit. of course i have not been on the board that long.

Really it's amazing how many threads on here turn into garbage re-hashing the same old ****.

Finally got to try Five Guys after moving out here. Pretty good burger, but a drawback of the place is they don't serve shakes. Burger place but no shakes? WTF?!?

Finally got to try Five Guys after moving out here. Pretty good burger, but a drawback of the place is they don't serve shakes. Burger place but no shakes? WTF?!?

You need to try Freddie's then. Great shakes, good burgers

Have them all out here. Smashburger, Five Guys, In-N-Out, etc. Undisputed king IMO is The Habit. Less expensive than the others too. Looks like they just expanded to Arizona and Utah, wonder how far they will go.

IMG_1381.jpg

Ok, for all the smart-asses. I know this recruiting discussion has been had many times (hence the title you may have noticed) and that people know our class was less then stellar. However I don't think most people realized we literally had the lowest rated class of the BCS schools or that our class was on par with half of Conference USA.

Ok, for all the smart-asses. I know this recruiting discussion has been had many times (hence the title you may have noticed) and that people know our class was less then stellar. However I don't think most people realized that AZ manipulated the data on his site to suggest that CU had a Conference USA like class

FIFY

Rivals had us ahead of Utah and WSU in the raw ratings and essentially had Utah, WSU, OSU, Utah and Colorado about the same in average RR, which I put more credence in. We are firmly rooted in the bottom third of the PAC12. Better hope our coaches are good.

For the record, of the schools you mention, Rivals ranked only South Florida higher than CU, with us locked with BYU. Yippee.

Many of the school you mention earned barely a 2.0 on Rivals, so the AZ data is laughable.

Got to get me some Habit next time I am in one of those states.

Have them all out here. Smashburger, Five Guys, In-N-Out, etc. Undisputed king IMO is The Habit. Less expensive than the others too. Looks like they just expanded to Arizona and Utah, wonder how far they will go.

IMG_1381.jpg

Just had one in St George UT. Not too bad.

I can't believe you guys don't like the Cricket. I can't be alone here. Either way City Grill has the best burger in Denver. But you guys have me questioning my taste in burgers now.

Back