What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Anyone else suddenly feeling giddy about OL?

I'm not giddy, but I do expect the OL to be better than last year. I am expecting 2015 to be the turnaround year for us...6-7 wins and a bowl game.

I'm not giddy, but I do expect the OL to be better than last year. I am expecting 2015 to be the turnaround year for us...6-7 wins and a bowl game.

The way the '15 conference schedule lines up is far from friendly. With 13 games (we play Hawaii), we need to win 7, not 6. We avoid Cal from the north, we only get 4 PAC home games, and 3 of those will be really tough to win. If we make a bowl game, it'll be by beating multiple quality teams on the road.

2015 Schedule:
Hawaii (Away) - Sat, Sep 5
UMass (Home) - Sat, Sep 12
CSU (Neutral) - Sat, Sep 19
Nichols State (Home) - Sat, Sep 26
Pac-12 - 4 Home (ARIZONA-STANFORD-OREGON-USC), 5 Away (ARIZONA STATE-OREGON STATE-UCLA-UTAH-WASHINGTON STATE)

I love the way that people rationalize their overzealous cheerleading by suggesting that those who aren't willing to blindly consider that we are on the way to P12 championships are only negative. Keep in mind, the two recruits that have lead to this outpouring of giddiness are the result of situations that have little to do with the staff's recruiting prowess. To the poster that suggested we are now getting recruits that the previous two staffs could only dream of, I encourage you to review the initial classes of Danny Hawkins. That ought to sober you up a little.

Are you really going to pull that card about Hawks early classes? His high ranking classes ended up being **** (and only landed a lot of those recruits because of their risks and other teams backing off of them) and the lowest rated recruits were guys like Solder, Speedy, Jimmy Smith, etc. Your example picking is just awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Are you really going to pull that card about Hawks early classes? His high ranking classes ended up being **** and the lowest rated recruits were guys like Solder and Smith. Your example picking is just awful.

You grasp of facts sucks. Smith and Solder were both ranked better than our most recent OL get and were tied at the top of Hawk's transition class with Rivals ranks of 5.6 there were 15 guys ranked worse than them in thier class and no one ranked better. In his second year he pulled in Miller who was ranked far better than either current OL saviour and 6 gys ranked as high or higher than Holland of which half contributed in major ways to the program.

Hell even embree's 2011 class one currently starts for us and was an RR 5.7.

While i do like what we are seeing here let's not pretend like players the caliber of our most recent 2 additions have not graced these halls since Barney.

The way the '15 conference schedule lines up is far from friendly. With 13 games (we play Hawaii), we need to win 7, not 6. We avoid Cal from the north, we only get 4 PAC home games, and 3 of those will be really tough to win. If we make a bowl game, it'll be by beating multiple quality teams on the road.

2015 Schedule:
Hawaii (Away) - Sat, Sep 5
UMass (Home) - Sat, Sep 12
CSU (Neutral) - Sat, Sep 19
Nichols State (Home) - Sat, Sep 26
Pac-12 - 4 Home (ARIZONA-STANFORD-OREGON-USC), 5 Away (ARIZONA STATE-OREGON STATE-UCLA-UTAH-WASHINGTON STATE)
Interesting. The lack of a bye week is not good, but I'm expecting us to be good enough to sweep our non-conference schedule and win 3 PAC 12 games...AZ, UU, and WSU. But we are talking about the Buffs, so maybe expecting is a strong word...

Interesting. The lack of a bye week is not good, but I'm expecting us to be good enough to sweep our non-conference schedule and win 3 PAC 12 games...AZ, UU, and WSU. But we are talking about the Buffs, so maybe expecting is a strong word...

We'll still get 1 bye week. Most teams get 2 with the new 14 week schedule.

You grasp of facts sucks. Smith and Solder were both ranked better than our most recent OL get and were tied at the top of Hawk's transition class with Rivals ranks of 5.6 there were 15 guys ranked worse than them in thier class and no one ranked better. In his second year he pulled in Miller who was ranked far better than either current OL saviour and 6 gys ranked as high or higher than Holland of which half contributed in major ways to the program.

While i do like what we are seeing here let's not pretend like players the caliber of our most recent 2 additions have not graced these halls since Barney.
All I'm saying is that the big time recruits that Halk landed like Katoa, Scott, Simas, MTM, Givens, Polk, Gates, etc. didn't do **** on the field. We'll see if Parker is still starting when Solis gets back. Landing high rated recruits is great, but if you don't keep them in the program or if they never produce it's useless to keep using them as recruiting examples.

And yes, I did screw up with Solder and Smith. I could have sworn that Solder was a 5.4rr and not a 5.6rr and that Smith was a 5.5rr and not a 5.6rr

Don't be a bitch, 2015 absolutely has to be the breakout year for MM if he's worth a damn as a HC. ZERO reasons to not expect 7 wins at a minimum in 2015.

Last edited:

The problem with Hawkins early classes was not getting highly ranked kids to sign, it was getting them on campus and keeping them around to contribute. Sometimes it was academics, sometimes it was guys with injury issues coming in who could never overcome them. He also had guys who made really bad decisions and ended up getting kicked out. He also had some guys who were very talented but who either didn't want to or couldn't step up and perform.

We have had a common thread on the O-line here for a long time. Hawkins first spring he had about 6-7 OL available who were on scholly, Embrees first spring camp again not enough depth to run two units on the OL, M2 shows up and again we can't do a normal spring game because there aren't enough linemen.

I hope it isn't just kool-aid but it finally is looking like we are beginning to build some depth on the OL. A lot of these guys coming in are going to need a couple of years of work to develop before they can compete and some may never end up being significant contributors. At least though it looks like we have guys who not only should be able to compete and contribute but who are likely to be here to do so.

The problem with Hawkins early classes was not getting highly ranked kids to sign, it was getting them on campus and keeping them around to contribute. Sometimes it was academics, sometimes it was guys with injury issues coming in who could never overcome them. He also had guys who made really bad decisions and ended up getting kicked out. He also had some guys who were very talented but who either didn't want to or couldn't step up and perform.

We have had a common thread on the O-line here for a long time. Hawkins first spring he had about 6-7 OL available who were on scholly, Embrees first spring camp again not enough depth to run two units on the OL, M2 shows up and again we can't do a normal spring game because there aren't enough linemen.

I hope it isn't just kool-aid but it finally is looking like we are beginning to build some depth on the OL. A lot of these guys coming in are going to need a couple of years of work to develop before they can compete and some may never end up being significant contributors. At least though it looks like we have guys who not only should be able to compete and contribute but who are likely to be here to do so.

I do agree with you about the "building" aspect of this, it looks like we are consciously trying to improve depth and have enough linemen around which IS different than in previous years.

Are you really going to pull that card about Hawks early classes? His high ranking classes ended up being **** (and only landed a lot of those recruits because of their risks and other teams backing off of them) and the lowest rated recruits were guys like Solder, Speedy, Jimmy Smith, etc. Your example picking is just awful.

I don't recall anybody backing off of Hawk's top recruits. Oklahoma was still very much recruiting Katoa when he signed with us. We benefitted from Callahan getting fired by poaching Givens, Polk, and Mohler, but that 2007-2008 was a pretty solid recruiting job by Hawkins. Anyway, I think he has a point and it's not that far off from your's. It's not worth getting excited about recruits until they get to campus, start playing, stay eligible, stay healthy, etc.

If Callahan and Wiefels come in and are ready to play it could be a huge shot in the arm. You can never count on a true frosh to come in a make a impact. One more strong Oline recruiting class and we will be challenging for a bowl.

Don't be a bitch, 2015 absolutely has to be the breakout year for MM if he's worth a damn as a HC. ZERO reasons to not expect 7 wins at a minimum in 2015.
I totally agree with the expectations. But to say we have ZERO reasons seems to ignore the last 10 years of Buff football.

I don't think there are any more excuses...competent and well-paid coaching staff, new facilities etc...but somehow this program finds ways to **** things up.

A different way to look at things is really we are hearing good news alot now and the last few years we had a continuous string of the bad new3s bears.

I totally agree with the expectations. But to say we have ZERO reasons seems to ignore the last 10 years of Buff football.

I don't think there are any more excuses...competent and well-paid coaching staff, new facilities etc...but somehow this program finds ways to **** things up.

I'm sick of living in the past, if people want to keep living in the past then we'll never move forward. If 2015 isn't a breakout year for wins then we're looking for another head coach. At some point there needs to be expectations on the program and less of the "next year blah blah blah" ****.

I'm sick of living in the past, if people want to keep living in the past then we'll never move forward. If 2015 isn't a breakout year for wins then we're looking for another head coach. At some point there needs to be expectations on the program and less of the "next year blah blah blah" ****.

I appreciate where you're coming from and agree...just don't have the energy to overcome inertia...

We tried that with "10 wins, no excuses." Of course, the pigeon was at the helm, but still...

We tried that with "10 wins, no excuses." Of course, the pigeon was at the helm, but still...

Pigeon should have been fired immediately after that stated goal was obviously unobtainable, so after the West Virginia game when we were 1-3. Him being kept for the next year is what got us in this hole.

Agreed. But I personally don't have the energy to get "giddy" anymore.

I have the energy, but I'm sick of the corresponding kick in the nuts from reality when the team gets boat raced on the field. The last time that I saw our OL dominate was starting in the second half of the OU game in 2007 and for much of the remainder of the season. Since then it has been pretty bad.

Pigeon should have been fired immediately after that stated goal was obviously unobtainable, so after the West Virginia game when we were 1-3. Him being kept for the next year is what got us in this hole.

That fifth year of DII Danny did more damage than most think....

Keeping DII Danny an extra year hurt a lot. Hiring Embree to replace him made a bad situation a whole lot worse. I still think that it's unrealistic to expect dramatic improvement by 2015. The hole is simply too deep, and the teams we have to climb over are not regressing.

Keeping DII Danny an extra year hurt a lot. Hiring Embree to replace him made a bad situation a whole lot worse. I still think that it's unrealistic to expect dramatic improvement by 2015. The hole is simply too deep, and the teams we have to climb over are not regressing.

No expectations are great

You could actually argue keeping Hawkins a 5th year nearly worked out. In fact, it SHOULD have worked out.

What a bohn headed mistake iyam

Back