What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

AP All Time Top 100

dyemeduke

A friend and I were just texting about the AP's top 100 programs all time. It's a really odd list.

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/top-100

The top several aren't surprising, but once you see Illinois...it gets awkward. It's all based on data, but I feel like they should have applied some weight to AP points accrued for old years. I imagine polling wasn't as sophisticated back then and there were probably less teams. Anyway, figure some of you may find it interesting.

For me, I'm really surprised the Sparty isn't higher. They have two championships under two different coaches. Illinois at 11?! I'm not against it, but I'm surprised Arizona is so high. Other surprises include NC State in the 20s, when they also have had two championships and have had random areas of success. I thought they'd be higher, but I guess their recent struggles hurt. Okie Lite in the 30s?? I thought they'd be higher. I thought Florida would be higher too, as well as Texas. Illinois!?!?!

This isn't based on someone's opinion but pure data. Of course, all data needs to be valued, and I really do think that older years need to have some weight. Like the 50s...how many teams were there, and was polling really that accurate? Or was it biased based on preseason polls and hype? (not to say that doesn't occur now)

I think this list showed me how ignorant I am of many programs, and also, how pointless the AP poll can be.

edit: oops...sorry, meant to put this in bball forum, not recruiting. Sorry mods!

Makes sense when NCAA tournament performance isn't a factor in the data.

Back