What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Apathy is Here - Point of No Return

I don't care if we suck on the field if the recruiting is there. One thing that's obvious from this staff that wasn't obvious with Embree and Hawkins is that they are capable of running an offense that can put up points on the board. That's really important and it's something that we've not seen at CU for a long time. That being said, they need to recruit better athletes. The assistant pool needs a shake up. Will it happen? I don't know, probably not. Coaches seem to be extremely loyal to "their guys". Maybe the AD needs to go over MM's head.

We are way outmatched in terms of athletes, especially on defense. Our front seven on D is just putrid. Our linebackers are too small and too slow and they can't tackle. I don't care if the roster lists them at 225: they aren't. Further, our DL doesn't seem to accomplish much of anything. I have more faith in the secondary, I guess, although I don't know that our safety play has been particularly good.

We also need more at RB.

Last edited:
I think this is the first game since the CSU game that we were out-coached. That pisses me off, because I frankly don't think much of Peterson. If we're going to be the 'little team that could', we have to out-coach the other team each and every week.

Now, I don't think that's possible, so the other thing we have to do is get some goddamn talent. UW was better than us at probably 15 of 22 positions on the field, and even more if you count the 2-deep. I would have liked to see Gillam against Thompson, but that again is on talent. We're still extremely thin even where the starters are good.

We HAVE to do something about recruiting. The status quo is not going to cut it. Get proven recruiters. Quit being such high and mighty douchebags about credit transfers for jucos. Be creative. Do anything within the rules that you can to make Colorado a desirable place for athletes to come to. It shouldn't be that hard. Every CU game is on TV - that should put Texas and other states outside of the Pac footprint in play.

Don't feel we were out-coached. Guys just didn't make plays. The one criticism that is warranted IMO is limiting Adkins. He was by far our most effective player.

Don't feel we were out-coached. Guys just didn't make plays. The one criticism that is warranted IMO is limiting Adkins. He was by far our most effective player.

I am glad this staff is above reproach. Having your entire punt time blow the coverage is not coaching, it is the players fault.

I am glad this staff is above reproach. Having your entire punt time blow the coverage is not coaching, it is the players fault.

That punt was both. Darragh has to get that ball bouncing. He screwed up. Coaching of special teams has to be better on coverage, because **** happens and even an excellent punter is going to mis-hit a ball every now and then.

May have been the most poorly coached game of the year other than CSU.

D was out of position and look unprepared to deal with the Shaq Thompson packages. Also left Hendo alone in a mismatch situation that resulted in a TD early.

O had the earlier mentioned issues with not taking advantage of Adkins. Also using Lindsay in a critical situation which ended in a fumble and using Pow on some plays that required the explosiveness to be able to make a big gain on speed which he doesn't have. I also felt like there was some "give up" play calling in the second half when we had long yardage situations and ran plays that had no chance of gaining the yardage even if they worked.

STs don't even need to mention.

I am over the rugby punt. Coverage and punt went opposite ways. Bring back the "coffin corner"!

I think we were in Cover-2 on the Hendo play and that the safety help over the top didn't get there.

Considering no Gillam or TT, I expected some miscues on defense and that unit actually played above my expectation.

Most people last year were hoping for improvement but not expecting many wins. Here we are, but we're so close in so many games it sucks losing every one of them. I do tend to agree with the OP re: Sefo. Too many mistakes.

Today demonstrated just how solid Tedric is. His absence was significant. Hope he is feeling better. Miss him already.

I think we were in Cover-2 on the Hendo play and that the safety help over the top didn't get there.

Considering no Gillam or TT, I expected some miscues on defense and that unit actually played above my expectation.

I mentioned on chat when that play happened that we were missing our safeties. That was a play that went right where a quality safety would have closed on it.

Still doesn't change the fact that Hendo is very good in zone but has trouble man to man on faster WRs. He ended up in a bad match-up without help on that play.

I mentioned on chat when that play happened that we were missing our safeties. That was a play that went right where a quality safety would have closed on it.

Still doesn't change the fact that Hendo is very good in zone but has trouble man to man on faster WRs. He ended up in a bad match-up without help on that play.

Maybe. I'd have to re-watch the play. When it happened live, it looked like Miles had nothing but green in front of him on the left boundary and Hendo let the WR go to plant and force a throw... but then his over-the-top help wasn't there. You may be right about scheme on that one, but I think that the scheme wasn't executed (by either the DE who lost contain or by the safety who didn't get over).

D was out of position and look unprepared to deal with the Shaq Thompson packages. Also left Hendo alone in a mismatch situation that resulted in a TD early.

O had the earlier mentioned issues with not taking advantage of Adkins. Also using Lindsay in a critical situation which ended in a fumble and using Pow on some plays that required the explosiveness to be able to make a big gain on speed which he doesn't have. I also felt like there was somelly "give up" play calling in the second half when we had long yardage situations and ran plays that had no chance of gaining the yard,age even if they worked.

We have been outcoached several times this year. Came out flat against USC, out of position in the first half against UCLA, totally outcoached against CSU and UDUB ( 3 of those 4 were winnable). Yet it is the players fault. Some people have to wake up to the deficiencies with this staff.

Maybe. I'd have to re-watch the play. When it happened live, it looked like Miles had nothing but green in front of him on the left boundary and Hendo let the WR go to plant and force a throw... but then his over-the-top help wasn't there. You may be right about scheme on that one, but I think that the scheme wasn't executed (by either the DE who lost contain or by the safety who didn't get over).

I agree with you on what Hendo was doing, my point exactly in that the scheme put him in a position that was almost impossible to succeed at.

Had we had Tedrick or Bell back there they could have covered for it by making the read and adjusting.

The Hawaii punter had the ability to punt 'directionally' - as he ran he'd see where the returners were and kick away from them not just straight down field. O'Neil seems to just kick it straight down field - often directly to a returner.

also, praising MM by saying Hawkins and Embree would have done worse if getting very old and weak

We have been outcoached several times this year. Came out flat against USC, out of position in the first half against UCLA, totally outcoached against CSU and UDUB ( 3 of those 4 were winnable). Yet it is the players fault. Some people have to wake up to the deficiencies with this staff.
Why do we even go into the locker room at halftime? What are they doing in there? That is my biggest concern with coaching.

The Hawaii punter had the ability to punt 'directionally' - as he ran he'd see where the returners were and kick away from them not just straight down field. O'Neil seems to just kick it straight down field - often directly to a returner.

also, praising MM by saying Hawkins and Embree would have done worse if getting very old and weak

Yes. That can't be where we set the bar for this program.

Becoming a competitive football team was a step in the process, but it's far from being the goal. We can't be treating it like it's the goal.

No doubt the coaches told Sefo to throw the INT for a TD and told him to fumble one other time.
As the dip**** Neinas coaches special teams, I have absolutely no doubt that he told Lindsay to fumble. And since we don't have a true RB coach, I'm sure someone (probably MacIntyre) told Lindsay to fumble the other time.

Certainly the coaches deserve some blame, but players have to go out and execute and not do stupid things, too.

As frustrated as I am with losing coming into the year I wanted to see us take a significant step forward. Despite the record it's hard to argue that hasn't happened.

I want another win this year but if we don't get it I'm not going to jump ship.

It does mean that we need to take another step next year and that step has to include wins.

I think we have the right coach but I hope that he is ready to make some needed changes. Not calling for a major makeover but we need to get better in some areas of coaching on the field and have to recruit better.

Not a big fan of Art Briles, but I liked what he said about the rebuild of Baylor. When he got there, he had 5 or 6 D1 caliber players. Now, he has 85, with the associated obvious depth.

How many D1 players do we have....10? Briles was able to build his program with the help of RG3, fertile recruiting grounds, and huge alumni and school support.

Currently, I don't see a RG3 equivalent on our roster, our recruiting is the ****, and apathy has set in with the alumni. So, I hope you guys are correct that a decent recruiter will save the ****ing day. Bitches.

Not a big fan of Art Briles, but I liked what he said about the rebuild of Baylor. When he got there, he had 5 or 6 D1 caliber players. Now, he has 85, with the associated obvious depth.

How many D1 players do we have....10? Briles was able to build his program with the help of RG3, fertile recruiting grounds, and huge alumni and school support.

Currently, I don't see a RG3 equivalent on our roster, our recruiting is the ****, and apathy has set in with the alumni. So, I hope you guys are correct that a decent recruiter will save the ****ing day. Bitches.

Baylor had the advantage of being in the very middle of incredibly fertile recruiting ground in the heart of a football ravenous state. He also had a ton of connections to that fertile recruiting ground, based upon his coaching history. Baylor also schedules smart.

Baylor had the advantage of being in the very middle of incredibly fertile recruiting ground in the heart of a football ravenous state. He also had a ton of connections to that fertile recruiting ground, based upon his coaching history. Baylor also has SWC morals.

Helps when reading ability is optional if a guy is a good football player and the NCAA rule book is looked at as a piece of fiction that contains some suggestions for losing programs to consider.

Baylor has some $$$$$ boosters who are willing to "help" positive things happen around the program and they are good at not getting caught doing it.

Helps when reading ability is optional if a guy is a good football player and the NCAA rule book is looked at as a piece of fiction that contains some suggestions for losing programs to consider.

Baylor has some $$$$$ boosters who are willing to "help" positive things happen around the program and they are good at not getting caught doing it.

Further to my point that we are in a horrible and perhaps irreparable situation ......one good recruiter is not going to fix this.

You seriously think we only have 10 d1 athletes on this team?

O had the earlier mentioned issues with not taking advantage of Adkins. Also using Lindsay in a critical situation which ended in a fumble and using Pow on some plays that required the explosiveness to be able to make a big gain on speed which he doesn't have. I also felt like there was some "give up" play calling in the second half when we had long yardage situations and ran plays that had no chance of gaining the yardage even if they worked.

First off, they were prepared for Shaq. We have gotten piss poor tackling from the linebackers all year. Daigh is too slow and Olugbode, Greer, and Addison are under weight and lack strength to bring guys down. Secondly, TD pass had nothing to do with Hendo being mismatched. It did have to do with White being out of position to give over the top help. Tedric would have been there to make a play.

STs wasn't bad today. They blew that rugby punt, but other than that they held it down.

Offense got soft in the second half and didn't run anything special. We haven't pushed the ball down field in weeks except for the throw to DD today. Teams eventually sit on the underneath routes because that's all they see us doing. Not hard to stop that.

You seriously think we only have 10 d1 athletes on this team?
. Good question. They are all D1 athletes by definition....I think Briles was talking about a caliber of athletes that you would find on good D1 teams. So if that is the judge, then I would say we probably have ten guys who may get playing time on good D1 teams. What do you think?

. Good question. They are all D1 athletes by definition....I think Briles was talking about a caliber of athletes that you would find on good D1 teams. So if that is the judge, then I would say we probably have ten guys who may get playing time on good D1 teams. What do you think?
Problem with that is most of the players that are starting are sophomores and wouldn't be in line to start for another year when they are upper classmen at other schools. The secondary is full of d1 athletes. OL has D1 linemen. WR for the most part has d1 athletes. There's more talent in the team them you're giving them credit for

I think when M2 got here we didn't have many D1 athletes.

In the last two years we have added a lot of D12 athletes but the question is are they D1 players. A lot of them are to young to know but have some promise.

Problem with that is most of the players that are starting are sophomores and wouldn't be in line to start for another year when they are upper classmen at other schools. The secondary is full of d1 athletes. OL has D1 linemen. WR for the most part has d1 athletes. There's more talent in the team them you're giving them credit for

Fair enough. But you will agree that we are a universe away from good teams in terms of talent, and the concern is we may have an impossible time making up ground.

Agree with the OP. CU football is the Swamp of Sadness. And I'm feeling like Artax right now.

[video=youtube_share;y688upqmRXo]http://youtu.be/y688upqmRXo[/video]

Back