What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Apathy is Here - Point of No Return

Fair enough. But you will agree that we are a universe away from good teams in terms of talent, and the concern is we may have an impossible time making up ground.
I agree with the first part but hell no on the second

No doubt the coaches told Sefo to throw the INT for a TD and told him to fumble one other time.
As the dip**** Neinas coaches special teams, I have absolutely no doubt that he told Lindsay to fumble. And since we don't have a true RB coach, I'm sure someone (probably MacIntyre) told Lindsay to fumble the other time.

Certainly the coaches deserve some blame, but players have to go out and execute and not do stupid things, too.

And the coaches get all the credit for outplaying ASU for three quarters and taking UCLA to double OT. If you look at these four conference losses (excluding ASU), there were airhead mistakes made in all of them. As far as Neinas-If we are going to have a full time ST coach, we better freaking get results. Missing three field goals in a three point loss to a team we clocked last year or turning it over on a return and giving up a PR TD don't qualify as such. Sorry. His spot could be better used somewhere else-hiring an RB coach, hiring a guy to work with the QBs and having Lindgren call plays, or something else.

I am there. Numb. I expected the collapse and wasn't surprised when it happened.

lol, benching Sefo? That is absolutely the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Sefo is the answer. He's the most talented QB that the Buffs have had in years. He's only a sophomore. Keep adding weapons and protection and he will win a bowl game for this team. This squad went from a team that would get their pants pulled down against mediocre teams to one that plays competitive with ranked squads. Wins will come.

Except for a couple of you (and you know who you are), you are all a bunch of sour-puss, chicken-little, panicky, whining, and bitchy little girls. The team is playing much better than they were in the past few years, and are clearly on the upswing. Maybe you are not a bunch of bitchy little girls, maybe your are more like my border collie, who wants her ball NOW! My dog has no sense of patience. No sense that things that are worth having take time to develop. She wants instant gratification all the time, and so do you.

Yank Sefo? What a joke. The last time a CU offense was this efficient and this productive was a long, long time ago. Yeah, Sefo threw a bad interception. Wah! He sucks! Peyton Manning never throws stupid interceptions. . . oh wait, he does.

Out-coached? Again, a joke. And not even a good joke. HCMM and crew coached a very good game, and even threw in some very interesting wrinkles. CU had some bad breaks, but that's football.

Except for a couple of you (and you know who you are), you are all a bunch of sour-puss, chicken-little, panicky, whining, and bitchy little girls. The team is playing much better than they were in the past few years, and are clearly on the upswing. Maybe you are not a bunch of bitchy little girls, maybe your are more like my border collie, who wants her ball NOW! My dog has no sense of patience. No sense that things that are worth having take time to develop. She wants instant gratification all the time, and so do you.

Yank Sefo? What a joke. The last time a CU offense was this efficient and this productive was a long, long time ago. Yeah, Sefo threw a bad interception. Wah! He sucks! Peyton Manning never throws stupid interceptions. . . oh wait, he does.

Out-coached? Again, a joke. And not even a good joke. HCMM and crew coached a very good game, and even threw in some very interesting wrinkles. CU had some bad breaks, but that's football.
:lol: Listen, I'm with ya for the most part. But this game was frustrating and is eliciting responses born of frustration. This was a game we really could have won. And there are a lot of legitimate gripes. But, for me, I'm not getting apathetic, I still believe greatly in Mac and believe Sefo, while disappointing today, has a lot of potential for improvement.

Call me old-fashioned, but I think making adjustments mid-game is one of the jobs of good coaches. Theirs did, ours didn't.

We are straight up out coached and out talented damn near every ****ing week and apathy has been increasing for around the last 5-6 years.

We are straight up out coached and out talented damn near every ****ing week and apathy has been increasing for around the last 5-6 years.

I don't see how we're getting out-coached if we are out-talented (or vice versa).

The games are close. If we had an out-talented team that was getting out-coached, we'd be getting blown out unless we were getting a ton of breaks. And I think the last thing any of us would call this team is "lucky".

Honestly, I can't explain this and I won't even try.

I don't see how we're getting out-coached if we are out-talented (or vice versa).

The games are close. If we had an out-talented team that was getting out-coached, we'd be getting blown out unless we were getting a ton of breaks. And I think the last thing any of us would call this team is "lucky".

BinaryBuff has a couple of 1's and 0's misplaced.

Sefo made a couple of mistakes. Other people also made some mistakes. Stop equating victory or loss with one position.

This is a very young team. Like 2/3 underclassman. Some of them are playing as freshman without the benefit of a year in the weight room, their nose in the playbook, and some chumped up non contact or minimal contact in practice. So they get live fire.

What that means is when these guys are juniors and seniors this will be a much better and well rounded team.

Patience

Sefo made a couple of mistakes. Other people also made some mistakes. Stop equating victory or loss with one position.

This is a very young team. Like 2/3 underclassman. Some of them are playing as freshman without the benefit of a year in the weight room, their nose in the playbook, and some chumped up non contact or minimal contact in practice. So they get live fire.

What that means is when these guys are juniors and seniors this will be a much better and well rounded team.

Patience

So sick of apologists and stupid ass excuses. These players need to grow the **** up and win a game. Being juniors and seniors doesn't guarantee anything. All this team has accomplished is finding new ways to lose games that they are in a position to win. **** patience, we've waited long enough. Win.

Positives? It was said...we lost it, they didn't beat us.

This team is close, but it's tough when everyone else in the conference is years ahead of us on talent and building. No other coach, except maybe Leach, inherited such a lack of talent. We have a chance against Utah, and if we can keep Oregon and Arizona a game into the 4th, I will be impressed.

I'm not psyched, but not apathetic. This season is much more entertaining than last...at least we get to keep the TV on for 4 qtrs.

I'm definitely used to it at this point. UCLA and today are annoying, but it's nothing new. The season was lost blowing halftime leads against Cal and OSU. I did think we had a conference win or two in us. I have no doubt we'll be better next year, but I don't see us flipping a switch and suddenly winning the majority of close games en route to 7-6. It seems 5-8 with a dose of "what ifs" is much more likely.

Way too many drinks by the time I posted that one..

When I watch the games, what I see is that we look slower and smaller at almost every position across the board. Maybe that doesn't mean we're out talented to you, but it does to me.

And absolutely, coaching is better than it had been under the last few staffs. Given the last few staffs, does that mean anything though? It's "great" that we're not at the point where we're getting embarrassed and blown out week after week, but when I see these close losses, I see a team still not able to close the deal and is pissing away huge opportunities. Maybe that's the youth excuse, maybe it's the confidence excuse, for me its on the coaches.

We're still losing games, maybe not as badly, but we're still losing games.

BinaryBuff has a couple of 1's and 0's misplaced.
quoted for truth :lol:

Fair point....we are sounding like whiny little girls after the loss. For me, the loss means little....it is similar to many others over the last nine years. My apathy is the result of looking how we can get this turned around, and is the reason for my comments about improving our talent level. Unless we are able to get significant numbers of players who can compete at a high level, I don't see us becoming a winning program. I like the idea of bringing in a new assistant who is a great recruiter. But will he transform our team into a winner in a reasonable amout of time? Seems unlikely if not impossible in our current situation. Hey....being similar to football programs like Illinois, Purdue, Wake Forest, and Iowa State may not be such a bad thing. Ugh.

Your quote doesn't make much sense. If we have so little talent compared to our competition, and we do, how are we close to winning the games if not through coaching? Not satisfied at all but they are putting us in position to win with a young, thin and not really talented team. Much better than the last couple coaches.

Rep

So sick of apologists and stupid ass excuses. These players need to grow the **** up and win a game. Being juniors and seniors doesn't guarantee anything. All this team has accomplished is finding new ways to lose games that they are in a position to win. **** patience, we've waited long enough. Win.

You get two things with upperclassman; leadership and vision. The leaders start to pull the guys around them together. Vision lets them see the game better (Sefo) and makes it less likely that they'll make mistakes having learned from past ones. For example, the difference between Kordells Jr and Sr year were stark. RSFr Phillip Lindsay will learn to cover the ball with two hands when he meets a defender and Sefo will learn to read defenses better (LB).

Ultimately, We don't have the horses. Deion Figures said he liked what he sees in the coaches and what they're doing. But it's going to take 3-4 years to rebuild the program.

Last edited:
I love this post. You really describe it perfectly here. I was disappointed for a short time yesterday because I want us to be a football powerhouse again NOW! But I'm also really optimistic after yesterday too. We are getting better. A few steps forward. A couple back yesterday in a few areas. But the overall momentum here is toward a bright future for us. I have patience because I'm confident HCMM is the guy to get this done. If we have to wait and suffer through losses, I'm still going to be in Folsom.

For those who are no apathetic, jumping off the wagon, I say this. I'm still going to be at Folsom on Saturdays. I understand you're angry, etc. you can come back once the team is great again. Am I happy with losses? no. But I am happy that HCMM is making something out of nothing. Burned to the ground program- we've heard it described a thousand times before HCMM. That that's what he really got and he is almost getting wins from players that everyone says don't belong in D1. Let's see what happens next. Where does HCMM take us? Time will tell. And we have to be patient.

It's not the hole that's deep -- it's the hill that has to be climbed. It was not a good time to join the Pac-12. The power players in the Pac-12 are serious about the sport again.

For CU to move up in the conference, they are either going to have to pass some teams, or some teams are going to have to drop back. So far - the only teams who have shown any indication of dropping back are in the other side of the conference (Cal and WSU). Utah entered the league at least on par with Colorado - and has moved up over the past several years.

CU just isn't going to be able to climb over some of these teams.

id say cal is moving up as well

Did I just see somebody compare Sefo to Peyton Manning?

oh, my head.

Did I just see somebody compare Sefo to Peyton Manning?

oh, my head.

No, you did not. You saw somebody point out the idiocy of demanding that QB be yanked after one or more stupid plays (I remember only one really stupid play by Sefo yesterday), and that you could say the same thing about legendary QBs like Manning (or I could have said John Elway, Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, etc etc) because all QBs have stupid plays, and throw interceptions where most of us think, "how the hell could he do that?" But if you want to read it as comparing Sefo to Manning, go right ahead.

I don't think people are upset because Sefo makes a mistake, I think it's because it has become a weekly thing. I can only speak for me but that's where I'm at on it. I don't think he should be pulled.

Throwing interceptions in 8 out of 9 games is a trend, not an isolated incident. Some quarterbacks never grow out of it, hopefully Sefo does, but it is far from a certainty.

If Sefo is not the best QB, then Gehrke has a chance in practice to show why he should be starter. If Sefo continues to be our QB (which he has earned, IMO) then that would mean to me that the staff sees Gehrke as a better back up. Would be fun to see what Gehrke can do. Since we really haven't, only the coaches have enough info to decide.

If Sefo is not the best QB, then Gehrke has a chance in practice to show why he should be starter. If Sefo continues to be our QB (which he has earned, IMO) then that would mean to me that the staff sees Gehrke as a better back up. Would be fun to see what Gehrke can do. Since we really haven't, only the coaches have enough info to decide.

You can see what Gehrke can do during practice.

You get two things with upperclassman; leadership and vision. The leaders start to pull the guys around them together. Vision lets them see the game better (Sefo) and makes it less likely that they'll make mistakes having learned from past ones. For example, the difference between Kordells Jr and Sr year were stark. RSFr Phillip Lindsay will learn to cover the ball with two hands when he meets a defender and Sefo will learn to read defenses better (LB).

Ultimately, We don't have the horses. Deion Figures said he liked what he sees in the coaches and what they're doing. But it's going to take 3-4 years to rebuild the program.

The leaders next year will be the same as this year. If they can't close now, how will they be any different next year? We don't have the horses, and we aren't going to all of the sudden next year, because our recruiting is free falling and going 2-10 is going to make it worse. This team has royally screwed up this year.

The leaders next year will be the same as this year. If they can't close now, how will they be any different next year? We don't have the horses, and we aren't going to all of the sudden next year, because our recruiting is free falling and going 2-10 is going to make it worse. This team has royally screwed up this year.

So why don't you turn the TV off and watch something else?

If we fire the coaches then new coaches come in and are stuck with the exact same set of players. *Maybe* they recruit this class better. Or maybe we get the 2nd coming on Dan Hawkins. To me, thats too much of a gamble.

The understanding that I had was that most of the players we have were underdeveloped when Mac arrived and they put in S&C to correct that. You can't add 40lbs to your frame over night. And you can't fix undersized and under talented. Additionally we were 1 deep versus 3 deep at some positions. Something Mac has also trying to improve. This situation, in the words of Deion Figures yesterday, will take 3-4 years to correct.

Before Mac these kids played P5 talent with coaches that didn't have an answer. Throw everything those coaches told these kids out the window because it can't and didn't help them. Now some of them have two years under coaches that are correcting their mistakes and positioning them to correctly play a situation. Down the road the underclassman, some of whom played in HS last year against HS talent, will gain confidence and make better reads of a situation. As that volume of experience grows they become better and better at their reads, they have 3-4 years of good S&C, and they are more likely to make the play.

If you don't have faith I can't help you.

Last edited:
Having a upperclassmen dominated team apparently means nothing

Back