What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Apsay throws a good ball

I like Apsay's arm strength but there's a lot more to being a good starting qb than being able to throw a nice ball. I have questions of how thoroughly he knows the o and his ability to manage the game. Not sure about his leadership skills as well.

I like Apsay's arm strength but there's a lot more to being a good starting qb than being able to throw a nice ball. I have questions of how thoroughly he knows the o and his ability to manage the game. Not sure about his leadership skills as well.
Did I miss something? It was 2 or 3 series of mop up duty, mostly handing the ball off. Not sure how we can assess his level of knowledge of the offense or his leadership. I thought he looked pretty comfortable out there. Much more so than Gehrke. I came away more encouraged about him than not.

Did I miss something? It was 2 or 3 series of mop up duty, mostly handing the ball off. Not sure how we can assess his level of knowledge of the offense or his leadership. I thought he looked pretty comfortable out there. Much more so than Gehrke. I came away more encouraged about him than not.
I agree. My point was that a good qb is more than just his arm. It just seems to me that some people on this board are hinting that, because Apsay is looking like our best passer and Sefo is clearly struggling throwing the ball, we should be looking strongly at replacing Sefo. At this point, given the development of the other qbs on the roster, I suspect we give up more than we gain by moving away from Sefo.

I agree. My point was that a good qb is more than just his arm. It just seems to me that some people on this board are hinting that, because Apsay is looking like our best passer and Sefo is clearly struggling throwing the ball, we should be looking strongly at replacing Sefo. At this point, given the development of the other qbs on the roster, I suspect we give up more than we gain by moving away from Sefo.
I really don't think anyone is saying, or even hinting that Apsay should replace Sefo. People are saying that
1. Apsay may be a better 2 than Gehrke
2. He should be given more snaps, including, possibly meaningful ones.

On 2, there's nothing wrong with putting someone in for a series or two during the second or third quarter of a close game. Lots of teams, even teams with well established starters do that on a regular basis. If we're serious about developing depth at QB, we should be doing it too.

I really don't think anyone is saying, or even hinting that Apsay should replace Sefo. People are saying that
1. Apsay may be a better 2 than Gehrke
2. He should be given more snaps, including, possibly meaningful ones.

On 2, there's nothing wrong with putting someone in for a series or two during the second or third quarter of a close game. Lots of teams, even teams with well established starters do that on a regular basis. If we're serious about developing depth at QB, we should be doing it too.
Missouri does this, and has gotten good results with it until recently.

From the little I've seen of Apsay, I see potential to be pretty solid. This is limited to some open practices and today, though, so a very small sample set.

He looks like the most solid fundamentally of the 4 right now and that usually holds up under pressure. But Wood had excellent fundamentals until he would press. So we got to get this kid some snaps.

You don't beat anyone with Gehrke but you want to be careful not to put Apsay in a spot he won't handle.

I agree with skibum. My only concern would be, how do you get Cade some meaningful snaps without damaging Sefo's leadership of the offense. I don't think he's fragile like that but he's earned the leadership role that he has. I think Mac would have to work carefully not to undermine it.

My only thing with Cade was that I was impressed with his arm...he threw the nicest ball of the entire game. Shows potential and from the little I've seen in practice and games, he should be considered strongly for the #2 slot.

Haha yeah you are right. But it did hit our guy in the numbers. It was a pretty high pass if I remember. Big arc.

If you are referring to his shoe size, he hit the numbers. Wasn't this the one on the near side on about the 15 yd line when the defender tripped over the 10 yd line leaving the receiver with nobody in the same zip code?

I mentioned this in another thread, but Cade showed small glimpses of what we saw on his hs game film. He has a quick release and is very accurate. He also seemed pretty mobile, but we obviously didn't see that yesterday.

We have no idea what type of leadership, mental make-up, and defense awareness he has. I'm convinced he has better fundamentals and accuracy than the other two qb's we have seen so far. I highly doubt he has the leadership qualities Sefo possess, which is needed for a strong qb. Now saying that, I have no idea what he could bring to the table with such a small sample size. I think everyone would like to find out and with Sefo's injury, we may find out sooner rather than later.

Our QB is going to take some hits in pac 12 play. We know Sefo can handle those hits, better than most. It's a crapshoot with the other two. I wouldn't want to see a Freshman abused like Sefo was his first season.

Our QB is going to take some hits in pac 12 play. We know Sefo can handle those hits, better than most. It's a crapshoot with the other two. I wouldn't want to see a Freshman abused like Sefo was his first season.

Don't forget that Cade redshirted. He's in the same place in his college career that Sefo was last season.

Don't forget that Cade redshirted. He's in the same place in his college career that Sefo was last season.

Sure, but with less game experience. He's also not as well put together as Sefo. For all I know, Apsay may be the second coming of Koy Detmer (who was skinny but tough as nails) but I don't want to find out he's not there yet with a game on the line.

That kid Apsay isn't bad ... for a guy whose name in pig latin means "Sap." :D

Sure. But arm strength and durability are legitimate concerns

No question arm strength is a concern. I posted it in the fall camp thread but he processes very quickly and well but he lacks some zip on outside throws and deep throws. Very good in the middle of the field though because he has good touch.

No question arm strength is a concern. I posted it in the fall camp thread but he processes very quickly and well but he lacks some zip on outside throws and deep throws. Very good in the middle of the field though because he has good touch.

Especially for a college QB, arm strength is pretty far down the list of what I care about.

Leadership is a given. After that:

1. Accuracy
2. Playmaking ability with legs.
3. Field awareness.
4. Height.
5. Arm strength.

(My order would be different for the NFL, where the game is won in the middle of the field instead of outside the hashes.)

Sefo had a bad quarter. Apsay showed the best passing of anyone out there Saturday. I agree with most of the posters that he should be the #2. Hopefully, Sefo's shoulder comes around so he can practice and isn't shot up on pain killers just to be in the next game. Gehrke looked like a typical #2 college quarterback. I don't see him ever being a solid starter.

Sefo had a bad quarter. Apsay showed the best passing of anyone out there Saturday. I agree with most of the posters that he should be the #2. Hopefully, Sefo's shoulder comes around so he can practice and isn't shot up on pain killers just to be in the next game. Gehrke looked like a typical #2 college quarterback. I don't see him ever being a solid starter.

Ya coach said in his post game press conference Sefo was out of rhythm early do to not being able to play until thursday evening practice. His release point was too high and he made an adjustment to bring it down in the 2nd half which looked much better. HCMM expects sefo to feel much better this week since he didn't get hit on that shoulder at all and he is expecting a better week of practice and better start from him against Oregon.

Back