What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Are 5 wide sets a no brainer this year?

B_Walk

Cursed
With the article about the development of Kabion Ento today, I am hoping the plan is to adopt more of a pure Texas Tech style air raid this year. With our wealth of talent at wide receiver, it seems like a no brainer to shift away from the power spread and adopt a pass heavy offense.

I'd like to see as many wide receivers on the field as possible with Montez slinging it around, but I am absolutely petrified Lindgren will stubbornly run Montez (and open him up for injury?) like he did with Sefo last year. I hope Chiaverini is able to hold sway over the offensive game plans.

Am I off base on this?

So put Lindsey on the sideline and don't let Montez use his excellent athleticism. Put your 4th and 5th best WRs on the field, remove your two best runners. Does that sum it up pretty well?

I don't see a change in philosophy...Mac likes balance. I could see more 5 sets in throwing downs tho.

So put Lindsey on the sideline and don't let Montez use his excellent athleticism. Put your 4th and 5th best WRs on the field, remove your two best runners. Does that sum it up pretty well?

No, I absolutely understand the necessity of maintaining a run game. I would like to see us fully utilize our depth at WR though. More 5 wide sets than last year?

That's all well and good but I don't wanna see 7 on 7 every weekend, that's what it reminds me of. Wanna spread it out fine, gotta have a running game regardless.

I totally get the intent here, but if Ento has made the jump, he'll see playing time in our regular sets. I know our receivers were solid last year, but they still disappeared at times so I'm looking for more consistency (may have been partly due to Sefo).

Also, Jeric is correct, love Lindsay as a blocker and on swing passes.

Even if BJ is just trolling, being that negative all the time must create a-hole habits in real life too – come to the good side brother.

I'd say five wide sets are not a no-brainer.

Is that a double negative? Maybe five wide sets are "brainers"?

You could run five wide sets and have a back on the field. Maybe even shift him or jet sweep, whatever. I'm just not a fan of that rinky dink bs.

i don't think we get away from balance....as in moving toward a "more pure" air raid. if that's Tech, they won 5 games or something with a very good (and mobile) QB. i'm still waiting for Kliff K to be on the hot seat.

as an example, i point to the Wazzou game.....Leach is up two scores early and that's a dangerous place.....but, we right the ship by doing what we do and sustaining drives and not getting into a big play/3 and out track meet derby with Luke Falk.

i don't think we get away from balance....as in moving toward a "more pure" air raid. if that's Tech, they won 5 games or something with a very good (and mobile) QB. i'm still waiting for Kliff K to be on the hot seat.

as an example, i point to the Wazzou game.....Leach is up two scores early and that's a dangerous place.....but, we right the ship by doing what we do and sustaining drives and not getting into a big play/3 and out track meet derby with Luke Falk.

Tech also had an abysmal defense last year.

I'd like to see our best players on the field and a healthy Montez. Not saying we abandon the run, but I hope we utilize all of the talent at WR, whatever that looks like.

The wide open passing offenses are fun to watch but how many teams have won big doing it? Not talking 7-8 wins and a minor bowl, talking conference championships, major bowls, playoffs.

Texas Tech runs Air Raid because they have no choice. As much talent as there is in Texas they are playing with leftovers. Our expectations are higher than their's are.

The air raid has traditionally had a lot of success running the football, and they usually have 1 RB in the game. That's not changing here.
I can see an extra WR on the field, with zero true TEs being our base offense though. (what Nik said).

VarsityBlues.jpg

Are we running the ****ing oopty oop offense this year?? I didn't realize we got Joe Moxon as our QB in waiting for this season!!

I'm not a fan of this idea. We need a healthy QB, and I see 5 wide as an invitation to make contact with our QB in a conference with a lot of speed and size on the edges.

Lincoln Riley may be an Air Raid disciple but I think it's a bit of a stretch to call his offense at OU the Air Raid at this point, he passed just 41% of the time in 2016 and 45% of the time in 2015. “(Leach) probably wouldn't recognize it,” Riley said. “That's fine. I couldn't care less as long as it's winning and scoring points and able to control the game either with tempo or without.” It certainly still has Air Raid elements but Riley's offense is a different beast and he's someone I think Chev can/should take a lot of inspiration from.

Last edited:
the problem with an air raid or "spread" offense is even though you might have some rushing yards......or a lot of them....is you can't line up on 3rd and 3 and get a first down. they don't give you those kind of rushing yards. they give you rushing yards the D is willing to give you by dropping guys into coverage. stat thing, not a situational thing.

the good spread concept is someone like Gundy. rush/pass. look at all the guys that have been his OC. larry fedora, monken is in the NFL, dana holgerson.

Back