What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Are Our Expectations for Jelly Scott Too High?

I genuinely think he will average more than 10pts per game (11 or 12). 8 boards? Probably not. But he will certainly be well above the 4 that Dufault gave us (~6).

I am the first to admit that big men take time in the kiln to set. The examples are too numerous to mention, but Goose did a great job laying out the recent vintages. The thing that sets big men back at the college level is that their offensive skillset is mostly undeveloped. In high school, they go against guys who are smaller, less physically capable, and rely on physical discrepancies, rather than skill, to score points.

From everything anyone has said about Jelly, however, his offensive game is mature, and robust. That makes me think that his transition issues to college basketball will be of a different nature. In fact, I think he'll struggle mostly on the defensive end.

He's also a faster version of a big man, and should be capable on the break for easy scores. Put me down for double-digits.

I am the first to admit that big men take time in the kiln to set. The examples are too numerous to mention, but Goose did a great job laying out the recent vintages. The thing that sets big men back at the college level is that their offensive skillset is mostly undeveloped. In high school, they go against guys who are smaller, less physically capable, and rely on physical discrepancies, rather than skill, to score points.

From everything anyone has said about Jelly, however, his offensive game is mature, and robust. That makes me think that his transition issues to college basketball will be of a different nature. In fact, I think he'll struggle mostly on the defensive end.

He's also a faster version of a big man, and should be capable on the break for easy scores. Put me down for double-digits.
You should get checked out. Your thoughts are very close to mine.

Regarding the stats from the games in Europe, were those 48 or 40 minute games? Was there a shot clock? Was anyone actually playing much defense in relaxed exhibition games?

Point is, those stats might be a tad misleading.

Regarding the stats from the games in Europe, were those 48 or 40 minute games? Was there a shot clock? Was anyone actually playing much defense in relaxed exhibition games?

Point is, those stats might be a tad misleading.

according to Tad the rules changed every night, and rarely in his teams favor.

I'm thinking 7-9 ppg and 5-6 rpg. Rebounds are going to be at a premium on this team. In 2013-14 I think Scott averages a double-double.

Freshman bigs are spooky. They're often projected or rated highly because they're physical specimens with the age old meaningless line of "up side."

Ultimately, these guys are so hard to project because college is the first time they're playing against other true bigs. How many 6'10" guys were on your HS basketball team?

What Goose is showing us is that these guys need time to learn. Scroll over that list and you see a lot of guys who in year 2 or 3 are projected or selected draft picks (McAdoo, Henson, Young, Robinson, Zeller). They learn to foul less and stay on the floor. They learn to play the game as genetics intended them to.

Sorry, with the explosion of AAU teams and tourneys, your premise that "college is the first time they're playing against other true bigs" is no longer the case! In Colorado, HS BB plays what? 24 games a year? I'll wager Scott played upwards of 30 gamse per summer against very good and BIG AAU competition. In fact, he really first got noticed as a result of dominating more highly touted "bigs" in such AAU summer tournaments.

It ain't your father's college prep for basketball!

Something to keep in mind with Scott is that he's not your typical 18-year old big man. Usually, we see awkward physical specimens that have a post move or two and can't make free throws.

Scott's a different animal.

His offensive repertoire in the post is ahead of a lot of NBA big men right now. Scott's development is more about gaining strength and learning the system than it is about learning to be a big man. Because of this, I think we'll see numbers similar to what's typical of a top college big man's junior year... as long as he can stay out of foul trouble.

Just watched Spencer news conference, he said Wesley Gordon could be the most talented freshmen among the 6. Josh Scott looked good in the only game I saw the Buffs play in Europe. Can't wait for the season to start.

Just watched Spencer news conference, he said Wesley Gordon could be the most talented freshmen among the 6. Josh Scott looked good in the only game I saw the Buffs play in Europe. Can't wait for the season to start.

You went to Europe to see them play?

Watched a game online. But i did think of going over there but my private jet was in for maintenance.

Something to keep in mind with Scott is that he's not your typical 18-year old big man. Usually, we see awkward physical specimens that have a post move or two and can't make free throws.

Scott's a different animal.

His offensive repertoire in the post is ahead of a lot of NBA big men right now. Scott's development is more about gaining strength and learning the system than it is about learning to be a big man. Because of this, I think we'll see numbers similar to what's typical of a top college big man's junior year... as long as he can stay out of foul trouble.
That's what I said!

Believe whatever you want. I don't have to prove **** to you.

It sure would have been nice if you would have chimed into this thread when we were all talking about the games and interacting with the French Announcers. I guess there must have been a camera crew and another announcing crew that we all missed.

My expectation is that Josh Scott will eventually graduate from CU and have a successful career at Star Fleet Command.

gapuramu.jpg

a2utarys.jpg

pybupyqy.jpg

I haven't read this whole thread but my observation on Scott right now is that he needs to get a mean streak in him. He seems to be a little soft at times but then he can be tough when he wants to. He certainly has the talent to dominate but I just want to see him have that toughness for the whole game and not just when he feels he needs to turn it on.

And OT; Why is it not a foul on the offensive player when the defensive player has position and the offensive post player gets the ball down low and the offensive player then just lowers his shoulder and bangs in to the defensive player a couple times to move him back. That is so frustrating to me when that is not called. A few times that happened to Scott against Harvard and the refs just let it happen.

I haven't read this whole thread but my observation on Scott right now is that he needs to get a mean streak in him. He seems to be a little soft at times but then he can be tough when he wants to. He certainly has the talent to dominate but I just want to see him have that toughness for the whole game and not just when he feels he needs to turn it on.

And OT; Why is it not a foul on the offensive player when the defensive player has position and the offensive post player gets the ball down low and the offensive player then just lowers his shoulder and bangs in to the defensive player a couple times to move him back. That is so frustrating to me when that is not called. A few times that happened to Scott against Harvard and the refs just let it happen.

The refs were not calling that the way they're supposed to. Harvard quickly adjusted. We didn't. Part of that is that it was so different than our previous games had been officiated. Part of that is that we're too finesse and don't have guys who are thinking about tearing the rim down when they get the ball inside.

The refs were not calling that the way they're supposed to. Harvard quickly adjusted. We didn't. Part of that is that it was so different than our previous games had been officiated. Part of that is that we're too finesse and don't have guys who are thinking about tearing the rim down when they get the ball inside.

Do you think Miller is that kind of guy?

Do you think Miller is that kind of guy?

Yes. When he's focused. What's held Miller back a bit is inconsistent effort. Early reports from his Post-grad year have been good so far, though.

Yes. When he's focused. What's held Miller back a bit is inconsistent effort. Early reports from his Post-grad year have been good so far, though.

His (Miller) Prep school plays about 30 minutes away from me, when I have the time available I think I will try to catch a game. This might be a stupid question, but since he has already signed his LOI, there is nothing barring me from telling him good luck and happy he is a Buff correct? If anything of note happens during the game I will report back.

His (Miller) Prep school plays about 30 minutes away from me, when I have the time available I think I will try to catch a game. This might be a stupid question, but since he has already signed his LOI, there is nothing barring me from telling him good luck and happy he is a Buff correct? If anything of note happens during the game I will report back.

much rep awaits a report.

Back