What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Are stars overrated?

I have to admit I like TG just because of the entertainment value. Dude, you can take make any thread entertaining and a fun read.

Well, if I wanted to be serious and have intelligent posts, I could. I'd post less though so you'd get less of me so I'm gonna stay the same. :smile2:

My favorite part of this debate is when professional journalists point out that more good players in the NFL were rated 3* than 5* with literally no acknowledgement whatsoever of the fact that there are 25 five star players a year and hundreds upon hundreds of 3* players; when this elementary adjustment is made, a five-star IS much more likely to be outstanding than a three star (or a four star). I was about to call this "Statistics 101" but I think "Not going full retard 101" is more appropriate. That being said, this topic has been beaten to death.

My favorite part of this debate is when professional journalists point out that more good players in the NFL were rated 3* than 5* with literally no acknowledgement whatsoever of the fact that there are 25 five star players a year and hundreds upon hundreds of 3* players; when this elementary adjustment is made, a five-star IS much more likely to be outstanding than a three star (or a four star). I was about to call this "Statistics 101" but I think "Not going full retard 101" is more appropriate. That being said, this topic has been beaten to death.

You know who else used that example and logic about the star ratings of first round picks when discussing his poorley rated recruting classes? You will only need one guess.

I think the more 5* players you land and the better your team is, the more you believe in the system. Since we haven't had much success as a program lately on the field or in recruiting I think some here try to convince themselves it is all a crock of crap to avoid the disappointment of all the great players we have missed on and all the wonderful "diamonds in the rough" that are there for the taking.

I did a post on one of the previous threads of top 10 teams and their star power compared to average teams and also the Buffs. There was a clear difference. So while I think the rating system is filled with flaws and misses (after all in some respects it is a guessing game on the potential of a man) I think there is validity to the process. Any of us can watch a film clip and know a good player when we see one, and the so called recruiting guru's certainly can as well. They have the added ability to see him in person where most of us don't.

Here's to many more four and five star players in the Buffs future. :drink2:

Another point is that the top 100 to 150 players is pretty obvious. A number of them are going to get injured, not love football enough, stop developing or mess things up with academic or behavior issues. But if you watch the film, it's pretty clear who these top guys are. My wife could probably pick something close to the Rivals 100 if she took the time to watch all the film and look at all the camp + SPARQ data, etc. Where things get really interesting, imo, is differentiating among 3* prospects. Need to keep in mind that a Rivals 5.5 3* is more different than a 5.7 3* than a 5.7 is from a 5.8 4*. We've got a lot of 5.7 guys on our roster.

Dammit guys. If you want to restart this convo, use the search function and update the old threads. I keep coming to this thread to see people making fun of tini, not the same damn conversation! :lol:

pretty sure this is a verbatim repost.

We have a bunch of 3* and 2* players that are about ready to burst on the scene. Why would you want polished players when you can have several guys to be coached up? The lower rated guys also have a chip on their shoulder and will work harder than lazy 5* players.

We have a bunch of 3* and 2* players that are about ready to burst on the scene. Why would you want polished players when you can have several guys to be coached up? The lower rated guys also have a chip on their shoulder and will work harder than lazy 5* players.

:nod: Darrell Scott was recruited just so he could be proof of concept.

:nod: Darrell Scott was recruited just so he could be proof of concept.

We really just had crappy coaching over the last five years. Give Nick Saban our current roster and he coaches them to conference championships IMO.

I agree. You know what else? Our team would be much better if we had thrown a game in '07 and not gone to the Indy Bowl vs. Alabama and had instead stayed home to work on S&C. We coulda had 32 first round picks!

I agree. You know what else? Our team would be much better if we had thrown a game in '07 and not gone to the Indy Bowl vs. Alabama and had instead stayed home to work on S&C. We coulda had 32 first round picks!

:lol: does that guy still post here? I don't remember his screen name.

Depends on the stars. Blue and Red Supergiants are pretty immune to being overrated. They deserve the hype. I'd say normal Red Giants are probably the most overrated because they get confused with a Red Supergiant which isn't even close. The smaller star classes are if anything underrated imo.

VY Canis Majoris is the ****. Its the size of 2100 suns! Or almost as big a darrell scott after a doughnut bender.

Depends on the stars. Blue and Red Supergiants are pretty immune to being overrated. They deserve the hype. I'd say normal Red Giants are probably the most overrated because they get confused with a Red Supergiant which isn't even close. The smaller star classes are if anything underrated imo.

VY Canis Majoris is the ****. Its the size of 2100 suns! Or almost as big a darrell scott after a doughnut bender.

:lol: :lol:

No matter what site it is, the search function always gives me problems but that certainly doesn't mean I'm letting down my generation. Hell my focus is IT.

You want to be an IT geek and can't figure out how to use the search function on the internet?

You are definitely letting down your generation.

You want to be an IT geek and can't figure out how to use the search function on the internet?

You are definitely letting down your generation.
Yeah because that totally means I don't know computers. Just because the search function doesn't work for me the majority of the time doesn't mean I let my generation down.

Yeah because that totally means I don't know computers. Just because the search function doesn't work for me the majority of the time doesn't mean I let my generation down.
while the search function may be a bit tricky, you let down your generation in thousands of other ways

If you can't figure out how to effectively search online, I'm guessing you don't know computers that well. the IT guys I know can find anything online. They're ****ing masters of it because they understand how the search engines work and they know how to get the best search results.

Back