What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Are we better than the 2007 team in 2012?

2007 or 2012 Buffs?

Votes: 46 71.9%

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Same

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters
I guess the question is, in the spring prior to that 2007 season, did we feel better about our prospects for the upcoming season than we do now. I honestly can't recall specifics. Coming off a two-win season and with a difficult schedule (on paper) in front of us, I'm sure I would have been thinking that a bowl game was a long shot, so the season came as a pleasant surprise. I still give a slight edge to the 2007 team, by virtue of some of the players they had on the roster, but it's a close call for me.

I think a lot of us were more optimistic than we are this season.

Our program was only a couple of years removed from being a nationally recognized power, we were coming off almost a decade and a half of winning, ranked teams. The 2 win season was seen as an aberation, not for what is really was, the start of our frustration.

We also were guilty of listening to and believing in Hawkins as he spouted him false optimism. We figured he must know what he was doing coming off the success at Boise and the hopes we had in our newer players.

This year we want to believe but just can't quite bring ourselves to completely give in to the hope. We have seen the shoe drop to often over the past few years and have grown to temper everything that should be postive with a bit of skepticism.

The 2007 team did have some difference makers, especially on defense but the last couple of years of Barnett who had given up on recruiting after being thrown under the bus by the administration followed by Hawkins starting to sell us his lunchbucket WAC players left that team as an illusion with a positive outward appearance but a rotten core as we saw in the following years.

the 07 team will always have that pathetic ISU loss hanging around its neck. as great as the OU win was, the ISU loss was just as bad imo. team should have been 5-3 in conference, 7-5 heading to a bowl game.

the 07 team will always have that pathetic ISU loss hanging around its neck. as great as the OU win was, the ISU loss was just as bad imo. team should have been 5-3 in conference, 7-5 heading to a bowl game.

HaLk attempting to "go for the kill" instead of punting while up 28-7 with 4th & 2 at the 50.:puke:

I am voting on the coaching staff, so I'll say 2012. Coaching makes all the difference...look at ISU's turnaround.

The 07 team was a far better team at the time with lots of veterans. The '12 team may have a higher ceiling though. Just probably not this year (doubt we will be playing bama in a bowl game).

Dizon and Wheatley were the big difference and (truth be told) Cody had a nice year (esp given the QB problems the previous year....I pulled for BJax but we were no threat on O).

Wood COULD have that kind of year....but we won't know til it happens.

was Bad Thad still on the 07 team?

The question cannot be answered until the end of the season... The 2007 team was starting to show the annoying habit of taking games off. I always thought the Texas Tech game in 2007 really showed the power of strong senior leadership. Wheatly and Dizon literally appeared to will the defense to victory - with Ryan Walters contributing. TWheat's battle with Crabtree was epic with TW getting 3 interceptions and Hugh Charles stepping up big on offense. Unfortunately there were off setting performances that are a black mark on the 2007 team - losses to bad teams like KSU and ISU and letting a very winnable KU game slip away. As a side note - it has always been my opinion that as the season went on other teams quickly figured out Cody Hawkins limitations and easily came up with game plans on the defensive end to neutralize CH to a large extent.

If the 2012 team comes to play ever game then we will see if they can maximize their potential.

Back