What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Are you guys happy??????

In-state recruits think our program sucks. Thanks guys.:rolleyes:

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_14039539

Meanwhile, Wyoming (7-6) has two of Colorado's top 15: Ponderosa defensive end Riley Lange (No. 13) and Chatfield quarterback Sam Stratton (No. 14). Wide receiver C.J. Morgan (Eaglecrest) and defensive tackle Tyler Strong (Niwot) are also Wyoming commitments.
A huge factor was first-year coach Dave Christensen retaining Marty English and his long history of recruiting in Colorado.
Hosting 25 players during bowl practice didn't hurt.

Yeah...WE had a lot to do with it...scoreboard biatch!!

"I've never been so happy in my whole life."

LongDuckDong.jpg

Here's what I don't get.

In 1990, the population of Colorado was 3.3 million people. Now, it's 5 million. Almost all of these people have located along the front range.

How is it possible we haven't been able to pull an extra 5,000 fans at every home game to sell out every week?

This may have to do with fortress Boulder...a town that is better than the rest of the front range.

All of those people moved here from someplace else. If I were to up and relocate to Indiana (for instance), I wouldn't immediately become a Purdue/Indiana fan and get tickets to see them play. I might never become a fan of those teams. My kids might, though. That's why I believe we here in Colorado are on the brink of something very special if we can just keep some momentum going. Unfortunately, the momentum is now going in the wrong direction. :sad1:

All of those people moved here from someplace else. If I were to up and relocate to Indiana (for instance), I wouldn't immediately become a Purdue/Indiana fan and get tickets to see them play. I might never become a fan of those teams. My kids might, though. That's why I believe we here in Colorado are on the brink of something very special if we can just keep some momentum going. Unfortunately, the momentum is now going in the wrong direction. :sad1:

For Christ's sake, I actually attended Purdue for two years and couldn't give a **** about that school or team.

That's a good point. The roughly 2 million people we have added are only going to be going to CU games (football or basketball) if the teams are providing good value for the entertainment dollar. There is no built in loyalty other than it being kind of nice when the local team does well. We need to capture the adult "fair weather" sidewalk fans so that the next generation becomes big time Buffs fans. One good thing Bohn has done in this direction is the free tickets to MBB and WBB games for kids wearing Buffs colors.

Here's what I don't get.

In 1990, the population of Colorado was 3.3 million people. Now, it's 5 million. Almost all of these people have located along the front range.

How is it possible we haven't been able to pull an extra 5,000 fans at every home game to sell out every week?

To me, that's just another example of how the Athletic Department was completely mismanaged under Tharpe and has had to be completely rebuilt. With the growth we've seen, CU really should be looking at stadium expansion with no worries about filling seats. Hopefully with continued good marketing we'll get there quickly... if we can put a good product on the field.

During that span enrollment at CU went from 25,112 to 30,196 (a 20% increase).

The enrollment reached a plateau from 1991 to 1999 however and has only been steadily increasing since 1999.

The inability to increase enrollments immediately after the MNC season is surprising.

The lack of reinvestment into facilities (as compared to other Big 12 schools) during that span is also disappointing.

OK Yes I know I am about to go on a rant. I guess I don't really give a crap anymore about this place.

Here is my response to my latest personal message.

Are you guys happy?????? 12-22-2009 01:05 PM you know you're an idiot, right?

Yep. I am an idiot.

I am an idiot because I love College Football. I am an idiot because I can think of nothing better to do with my money, when the discretionary funds are available, then spending time with family and friends enjoying a pre-game tailgate and watching a football game for a team that I have connected with very closely over the last 20 years. I am an idiot because, god forbid, I think that the long term success of a football team is a representation of the fans of that team.

Almost every post in the this damn thread validates everything that is known to the rest of the country about CU football fans. The fans base, as a collective, is full of asinine children who think the football team exists for their needs. We have a fan base that runs for the hills when our team doesn't win. We have a fan base that will come up with an excuse at every turn as to why we don't support our team with heart when times are tough. I am not talking about monetary support. Not everyone has the funds to buy season tickets or even donate to CU. Nor should they. But I also believe a fan base that is willing to withhold support because of a win/loss record is fan base that doesn't have football in it's core of cores.

CU fans don't travel to bowl game, Excuse = Bowl games are in crappier places to visit than Colorado.
CU fans don't show up on road games, Excuse = Big12 cities are dives
CU can't keep a solid fan base unless it's winning, Excuse = To many things to do in Denver or Most Coloradans are from out of state.

You know what BS. If I can afford to go to a bowl game, I don't care where it is I am going. My ass isn't going to stay home because it's not in some top 100 vacation destination. **** that, the attraction is the city, the attraction is the CU Buffaloes. They could be playing a street game in down town Detroit and I would not care. If I could afford to go, then my ass is there.

Yep I am sure I will get more of those pm's and reps after this post and so what. I am pretty sure my ass is done with this board after this anyways.

This site has become over run with 20 year old roaches who don't know a damn thing about staying the course. CU fans want their self gratification. CU fans want to walk around and show their support when the team is winning. But we threaten to stop wearing black on gold and take out the powder blue when we don't get what we want.

The problem with the CU fans base, is that we are made up of a bunch of spoiled as brats who have gotten what ever they want in life. There are not many of us, yes there are some, who would follow CU to the end of the earth and even jump of the damn cliff if need be. Colorado is not football country, and because of it the program suffers long term consequences. And NO big time football programs don't suffer the same mentality. SEC football and the Big12 south is full fans and teams that live for Saturdays. Tailgating at CU doesn't even come close to even the worse SEC tailgate.

See College football isn't about your teams win/loss record. It's not about where your team is ranked. That is all icing on the cake.

College football is about rounding up the family and friends on a Saturday, standing shoulder to shoulder to cheer on the young men and women who represent the University that you have come to love. It is about bonds and friendships that are formed over time during that process. For football fans, THERE IS NOTHING BETTER TO DO ON GAME DAY WITH YOUR TIME OR MONEY.

I have met very few people on the board, but I can tell you of the few I have met there is only 1 that sticks out to me as one who believes and follow CU football in the same fashion.

He and I vehemently disagree about this coaching staff and what needs to happen to return CU to the top 25, but yet we have a mutual respect for each other because of our inherent belief that, no matter what the win/loss record is for our football team, we will always wear our colors with pride on game day. We will always find away, if possible, to attend as many games as possible, because there is NOTHING better to do on game day. No matter where we live.

So fine call me an idiot for believing that being a fan of a team goes beyond what happens on the field. Call me an idiot, for thinking it is ridiculous that a rival team can come into our stadium and fill up 25% of the seats. I will wear my badge of idiocy with pride every Sat.

And I assume you will continue to piss and moan and point fingers at everyone else. Continue to tell CU that if they want your support they better have record you are willing to brag about. I personally will continue to remember just what exactly it was that bonded me to CU football on Saturdays and the family memories that CU has provided me over the years.

And yes, I know my typing sucks and I don't proof read my posts, and half of them don't make sense because they are all over the ****ing place. I just don't care.

During that span enrollment at CU went from 25,112 to 30,196 (a 20% increase).

The enrollment reached a plateau from 1991 to 1999 however and has only been steadily increasing since 1999.

The inability to increase enrollments immediately after the MNC season is surprising.

The lack of reinvestment into facilities (as compared to other Big 12 schools) during that span is also disappointing.

Enrollment was capped back then.

:lol::lol::lol:

Thank you Chilly for one of the funniest posts I have read in a long time. Wins are "icing on the cake"? The fanbase is full of people looking for "instant gratification"? Wow. Just wow.

Yep. I am an idiot.

I agree with that. Anyone who uses such a broad brush to label a diverse group of people is lacking in some area. You seem to think you are the only good fan...I have been going to CU games for 40 years. I have missed one home game in the last 10 years....but you blast me for being a fair weather fan.

Chilly, love your passion. Feel your frustration. Don't necessarily agree with you and I suspect you won't totally agree with yourself after taking some time off and re-reading that. Hopefully we won't lose you. It's good to have people on here willing to go against the grain and stand up for it.

OK Yes I know I am about to go on a rant. I guess I don't really give a crap anymore about this place.

Here is my response to my latest personal message.

Are you guys happy?????? 12-22-2009 01:05 PM you know you're an idiot, right?

Yep. I am an idiot.

I am an idiot because I love College Football. I am an idiot because I can think of nothing better to do with my money, when the discretionary funds are available, then spending time with family and friends enjoying a pre-game tailgate and watching a football game for a team that I have connected with very closely over the last 20 years. I am an idiot because, god forbid, I think that the long term success of a football team is a representation of the fans of that team.

Almost every post in the this damn thread validates everything that is known to the rest of the country about CU football fans. The fans base, as a collective, is full of asinine children who think the football team exists for their needs. We have a fan base that runs for the hills when our team doesn't win. We have a fan base that will come up with an excuse at every turn as to why we don't support our team with heart when times are tough. I am not talking about monetary support. Not everyone has the funds to buy season tickets or even donate to CU. Nor should they. But I also believe a fan base that is willing to withhold support because of a win/loss record is fan base that doesn't have football in it's core of cores.

CU fans don't travel to bowl game, Excuse = Bowl games are in crappier places to visit than Colorado.
CU fans don't show up on road games, Excuse = Big12 cities are dives
CU can't keep a solid fan base unless it's winning, Excuse = To many things to do in Denver or Most Coloradans are from out of state.

You know what BS. If I can afford to go to a bowl game, I don't care where it is I am going. My ass isn't going to stay home because it's not in some top 100 vacation destination. **** that, the attraction is the city, the attraction is the CU Buffaloes. They could be playing a street game in down town Detroit and I would not care. If I could afford to go, then my ass is there.

Yep I am sure I will get more of those pm's and reps after this post and so what. I am pretty sure my ass is done with this board after this anyways.

This site has become over run with 20 year old roaches who don't know a damn thing about staying the course. CU fans want their self gratification. CU fans want to walk around and show their support when the team is winning. But we threaten to stop wearing black on gold and take out the powder blue when we don't get what we want.

The problem with the CU fans base, is that we are made up of a bunch of spoiled as brats who have gotten what ever they want in life. There are not many of us, yes there are some, who would follow CU to the end of the earth and even jump of the damn cliff if need be. Colorado is not football country, and because of it the program suffers long term consequences. And NO big time football programs don't suffer the same mentality. SEC football and the Big12 south is full fans and teams that live for Saturdays. Tailgating at CU doesn't even come close to even the worse SEC tailgate.

See College football isn't about your teams win/loss record. It's not about where your team is ranked. That is all icing on the cake.

College football is about rounding up the family and friends on a Saturday, standing shoulder to shoulder to cheer on the young men and women who represent the University that you have come to love. It is about bonds and friendships that are formed over time during that process. For football fans, THERE IS NOTHING BETTER TO DO ON GAME DAY WITH YOUR TIME OR MONEY.

I have met very few people on the board, but I can tell you of the few I have met there is only 1 that sticks out to me as one who believes and follow CU football in the same fashion.

He and I vehemently disagree about this coaching staff and what needs to happen to return CU to the top 25, but yet we have a mutual respect for each other because of our inherent belief that, no matter what the win/loss record is for our football team, we will always wear our colors with pride on game day. We will always find away, if possible, to attend as many games as possible, because there is NOTHING better to do on game day. No matter where we live.

So fine call me an idiot for believing that being a fan of a team goes beyond what happens on the field. Call me an idiot, for thinking it is ridiculous that a rival team can come into our stadium and fill up 25% of the seats. I will wear my badge of idiocy with pride every Sat.

And I assume you will continue to piss and moan and point fingers at everyone else. Continue to tell CU that if they want your support they better have record you are willing to brag about. I personally will continue to remember just what exactly it was that bonded me to CU football on Saturdays and the family memories that CU has provided me over the years.

And yes, I know my typing sucks and I don't proof read my posts, and half of them don't make sense because they are all over the ****ing place. I just don't care.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but what you are saying is that fans should have no expectations for the program they support. Their responsibility is to give blind loyalty and have absolutely no reaction to ongoing underachievement whatsoever? If they expect the program they love to live up to its potential, they are bad fans? Fairweather fans? Selfish pricks who care only about instant gratification? It is wrong to come to the games and protest. It is wrong to not come to the games and protest. It is wrong to withhold financial support as a protest. Basically, protesting and disagreement are wrong if you are a true fan. Just show up, cheer whatever happens and drop your wallet in the basket on the way out.

I can honestly say there is no part of my life I would live under those rules. Nor would I ask anybody else to. I believe it is possible to love something and still expect a certain level of performance.

In fact, if you truly care for a person, an institution, a team, anything, I think you naturally want to see it excel. I can not imagine caring the way a true fan does and being apathetic about the results achieved. As a parent, you love your child unconditionally, but you still expect them to do their best, to try to achieve to their full potential. That doesn't mean that you stop caring about them at all - in fact what it means is that you do care.

Point all the fingers you want and lecture all you want about excuse making. What you are doing is making excuses for a culture at the University that WE ALL LOVE and care about that rewards failure and sends every message that they literally fear success as something that can only be achieved by selling their souls. For an institution that is in the business of helping people grow and preparing them to achieve at their full potential, that is not an acceptable message in any area of endeavor. It is, in fact, something very worthy of being protested against.

Bringing the SEC and the Big XII south into this discussion as a weapon against CU's fan base is laughable. What would NEVER happen in those environments is for any of those institutions to try to sell a 3-9 football team as competitive. What would NEVER happen is for those institutions to retain a coach who has won less than 1/3 of his games over 4 years. And what would sure as hell NEVER happen at those environments is for the fanbases to settle for wearing a blue sweater and politely declining to make a financial contribution as their most radical protests if their institution did try to do that. Don't even try to tell us that the big difference between CU football and SEC/Big XII south football is all in the support from the fan base. It really is :lol:

Last edited:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but what you are saying is that fans should have no expectations for the program they support. Their responsibility is to give blind loyalty and have absolutely reaction to ongoing underachievement whatsoever? If they expect the program they love to live up to its potential, they are bad fans? Fairweather fans? Selfish pricks who care only about instant gratification? It is wrong to come to the games and protest. It is wrong to not come to the games and protest. It is wrong to withhold financial support as a protest. Basically, protesting and disagreement are wrong if you are a true fan. Just show up, cheer whatever happens and drop your wallet in the basket on the way out.

I can honestly say there is no part of my life I would live under those rules. Nor would I ask anybody else to. I believe it is possible to love something and still expect a certain level of performance.

In fact, if you truly care for a person, an institution, a team, anything, I think you naturally want to see it excel. I can not imagine caring the way a true fan does and being apathetic about the results achieved. As a parent, you love your child unconditionally, but you still expect them to do their best, to try to achieve to their full potential. That doesn't mean that you stop caring about them at all - in fact what it means is that you do care.

Point all the fingers you want and lecture all you want about excuse making. What you are doing is making excuses for a culture at the University that WE ALL LOVE and care about that rewards failure and sends every message that they literally fear success as something that can only be achieved by selling their souls. For an institution that is in the business of helping people grow and preparing them to achieve at their full potential, that is not an acceptable message in any area of endeavor. It is, in fact, something very worthy of being protested against.

Well said Junction.

Damn it, I was drunk when I left that rep, it was supposed to say: "chilly sucks." I'll try harder next time.

Props to Chilly.

Bama - let me ask you something in all seriousness. What would happen had Bama kept Shula under the supposed guise of protecting their academic integrity? If they kept him around, even with the funds to pay him off secured? Would there be a revolt?

Bama - let me ask you something in all seriousness. What would happen had Bama kept Shula under the supposed guise of protecting their academic integrity? If they kept him around, even with the funds to pay him off secured? Would there be a revolt?

Academic integrity?-The football team is not playing football for any reason other than to win games which makes alumni donate, ESPN/ABC/CBS pay for TV rights, bowls pay to play an extra game etc. If you want academic integrity go DIII. Football and basketball for most schools are not about competition of amateur athletes but a hidden division of alumni [and friends] giving.

At UA you can have 100% graduation but if you aren't competing for championships [you have to win the SEC to win the crystal ball] you are not doing what the football team is there to do. Lets be real do know where CU was ranked 5 or 10 years ago? Do you know the graduation rate was 5 or 10 years ago? Do you know the graduation rate in your MNC year?

About a revolt-here they start at the top. There is one booster that can make 5 phone calls and have $10M lined up. There is no need for a revolution by the masses to make a change [see Shula]. The closest thing to a revolt was when Gene Stallings retired. The AD was overwhelmed with faxes, phone calls, and emails to hire a popular coach who had played and coached at UA. He got hired over Frank Beamer and your coach Gary N [he actually flew to Ttown and watched the barn game in the stands]. We all know how that turned out.

And I know some of you are going to say something about UA/southern schools not being real good choice for education so who cares about our opinion on the subject. Look at most recent ranking and UA is right behind CU. I think in public colleges CU is 37 and UA is 44.

And as far as not running off Hawk I have said it before-you guys just don't take your football serious enough. When I read your board it does remind me of the Shula days. If you are sitting around making excuses for your coach rather than preparing for you bowl watch party [or travel to the game] than he is not the coach a football school needs. Maybe you are not a football school anymore [see Ole Miss].

Academic integrity?-The football team is not playing football for any reason other than to win games

Sacky mentioned 'academic integrity' because that was one of the big reasons our Admin gave for keeping our ****ty head coach. And you're right, clearly we're not a football school.

Sacky mentioned 'academic integrity' because that was one of the big reasons our Admin gave for keeping our ****ty head coach. And you're right, clearly we're not a football school.

perzactly. We get fed this bullshat about preserving the academic integrity of the school at the expense of the athletic department when the two go hand in hand.

I'd say that Bama is right, to a point. We don't take football seriously enough - at the top. There are a group of fans & alumni who take it VERY seriously, but that's a group of maybe 25,000 people. Not enough to convince the administration that they're facking up.

I am curious to watch this season's discontent collide with next season's demand for Colorado football.

Has Dan Hawkins managed to transform last season's fans into next season's youth soccer coaches, fourteener baggers, and family men who elect to spend quality family time far from Folsom?

How many disgruntaled longtime fans have been lost for good? How many will begrugingly go thru the motions of gearing up to watch a fifth season of Hawkins football?

Are there any fans left who love the magic of tailgating in the shadows of CU's Italian flagstone architecture on a perfect autumn afternoon, and love the rituals and pagentry of game day?

Or does the pursuit of excellence as measured by the win-loss record trump everything else?

I am curious to watch this season's discontent collide with next season's demand for Colorado football.

Has Dan Hawkins managed to transform last season's fans into next season's youth soccer coaches, fourteener baggers, and family men who elect to spend quality family time far from Folsom?

How many disgruntaled longtime fans have been lost for good?

I know of two. One sits in our section and has done so for as long as I can remember. The other is a co-worker who has been going to the games for something like 40 years. Both have come to the conclusion that their time and money is better spent somewhere where it is appreciated.

It will take more than four (or five) bad seasons to get me to give up my tickets, but there's a caveat to that - the tickets I use are actually my fathers. If he decided he doesn't want to go anymore, I think I may follow. It would be a very difficult choice for me, in any event. I'm not sure where I would come down.

How many disgruntaled longtime fans have been lost for good? How many will begrugingly go thru the motions of gearing up to watch a fifth season of Hawkins football?

Are there any fans left who love the magic of tailgating in the shadows of CU's Italian flagstone architecture on a perfect autumn afternoon, and love the rituals and pagentry of game day?

Or does the pursuit of excellence as measured by the win-loss record trump everything else?

At the risk of defending Chilly's post to some degree, the fact that these questions are even being asked reinforces his argument about the difference between CU fan and SEC fan (at least my interpretation of his post). Does the love of "the magic of tailgating" or "the rituals and pagentry of game day" end when the team isn't winning?

Not to say anyone should be satisfied with mediocrity, but IMO his argument was that to many fans, the team and the university it represents are bigger than Dan Hawkins, bigger than Bruce Benson, and bigger than the W/L record.

Back