What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Aric Goodman

I think experience. His first year I think he felt the pressure to live up to the expectations of all of his friends who remember how good he was in high school and the new fans and he had tough breaks with hitting posts and let the first misses get to his head. Second year he felt like he needed to redeem himself and let that pressure get to his head. It is now his senior year, he is older and hopefully more mature. He knows (and we know) he has the ability to make it from anywhere and I think he will put the past behind him and have the right amount of confidence and focus to have a strong senior campaign and help his team win some games.

I hope I'm right, but if not I hope one of the other guys can step up and make some kicks for us. We desperately need our special teams to improve.

Fair enough. You might add in there that we don't know when his hip started bothering him, and in the best outcome, the surgery is like TommyJohn for kickers: makes him stronger.

Here's the best case scenario IMHO.
Goodman finally finds his mojo and is starter at Field Goals. I don't care if he hits another 20 posts, as long as 19 of 'em go IN. Let him finish out as a senior with 75% success rate.
Marcus Kirkwood should get a shot at kickoffs. He's a big guy, powerful leg, and he's patiently waited a year already for his chance. Let him kick. Don't pull another Aweida.
Castor red-shirts, as he should.
Feirberg hangs tough and also red-shirts to put on some weight.
Grossnickle concentrates on punting.

Next year, with two guys graduated, you've got Grossnickle, Castor, Feirberg (and any walkon or freshmen yet to be recruited) and all three of them were combo guys in high school.
They can all compete for everything all over again, but with a little maturity and experience.

Goodman has had more than enough chances. They need to go with someone else.

The clipboard guys are noting EVERY kicking attempt at practice, both for field goals (was it good or bad?) and for punts (hangtime and distance, unless it's a specific instruction or location they are targeting on a punt.) This means that whoever takes the first FG at Invesco, it should be a mathematical decision, not an emotional one.

I've been told that in past years, if a guy had a "pretty kick" he could get the job, whether or not he was the most accurate or could step it up for game day. They weren't charting carefully, they would just glance over at some point, and say "well, that looked good." Now it's accuracy over beauty. Science over emotion. Show me the numbers time.

The coaches know this area is being watched carefully, they have to get their best candidate on the field. The numbers will decide for them.

There is one other scenario: the rest of the team will be SO outstanding this year, we will make TDs and the only thing the kickers will do is XPs and KOs. Hey,it could happen.

The clipboard guys are noting EVERY kicking attempt at practice, both for field goals (was it good or bad?) and for punts (hangtime and distance, unless it's a specific instruction or location they are targeting on a punt.) This means that whoever takes the first FG at Invesco, it should be a mathematical decision, not an emotional one.

I've been told that in past years, if a guy had a "pretty kick" he could get the job, whether or not he was the most accurate or could step it up for game day. They weren't charting carefully, they would just glance over at some point, and say "well, that looked good." Now it's accuracy over beauty. Science over emotion. Show me the numbers time.

The coaches know this area is being watched carefully, they have to get their best candidate on the field. The numbers will decide for them.

There is one other scenario: the rest of the team will be SO outstanding this year, we will make TDs and the only thing the kickers will do is XPs and KOs. Hey,it could happen.

I think Goodman has already demonstrated that, for him, there is a large difference between kicking in practice and kicking in a game. It is a mental thing for him. Yes, he has had bad luck with the uprights, but a good kicker should be more consistently putting the ball in the middle of the area between the posts. 2 inches one way and they go in without hitting the posts, but two inches the other way and they miss entirely.

I understand your argument, and sometimes it is appropriate to give guys a second chance to show they have what it takes, but Goodman has had a bunch of second chances. At some point, if a player isn't getting it done, then someone else needs to given the reins. This is similar to how a lot of CU fans view the QB situation. This staff seems to have a really hard time benching the players that start seasons in starting roles.

Oh, I guess that was your own voice you heard then.

ya know, people talk about this kinda stuff on here, he never said he has sources. you just like to come around every once and a while and be a douchenozzle. **** off rodrigo.

I understand your argument, and sometimes ...

no argument from me. Games are not his strength. But the coaches are deciding between:

• a senior walkon former soccer star (Kirkwood) who has never played in a football game

• a true freshman who has been working with the team for about two months (Castor)

• a true freshman from CA who just got here (Freiberg)
and

• a fifth year senior who has played 3 years of college ball but had a very uneven career (Goodman.)
I don't know if Minett is still practicing with the team -- that would be the fifth guy.

All the coaches have really got to go on is the charting on their clipboards and a gut feeling about whether it's time for a change.

Tough call IYAM.

I've never kicked a FG, but I get the sense that it's an awful lot like golf. It's all about confidence. If you roll a few putts in at the beginning of the round, pretty soon, the hole looks huge and they all seem to go in. The best putting lesson I ever got was from a friend who said, the key was not caring if the ball went in the hole of not. You concentrate on your routine and try to put a good roll on it. After that, it's out of your hands. Kind of like kicking FGs, I would guess. Ever notice how putts for triple bogey seem to go in all the time? Sometimes from long distance? It's because I stopped caring about 2 shots ago. The problem is, I can't "stop caring" cold turkey, on putts I really want to make.

Somebody mentioned earlier the analogy of closer, Brad Lidge. As an Astro fan, I don't want to re-live that nightmare, but it's interesting to note that his confidence was completely shot after Albert Pujols launched a ball into low earth orbit against Lidge in the playoffs. Dude never shook it off. But, after struggling for the entire next year with Houston, he was traded to Philly, where he went a PERFECT 42 for 42 in save opportunities the following year, helping them win the World Series. Somehow he regained the confidence and I'm hoping Aric can do the same.

ya know, people talk about this kinda stuff on here, he never said he has sources. you just like to come around every once and a while and be a douchenozzle. **** off rodrigo.

Really? Actually, I think the def of douchenozzle is people who take unwarranted shots at players. If Grossnickle was actually still kicking fgs then Rugged might have had a point. The fact that he isn't means Rugged just trashed a kid without any real reason.

Why on earth anyone would want to do that I don't know but I don't think it says much about Rugged. If you want to do it's too, that's fine, but I think it's pretty lame and I'm gonna call folks on it. Every time.

Feel free to disagree, to call me names, whatever. I'm over 40. I'm a man. I can take it.

High school goal posts are 23' 4". College are 18' 6". FWIW. Plus in high school, they are allowed to kick off tees. Not in college. Not to say that they did not opt to not use a tee.

DBT, I get all that. But we don't have any college stats for two of the guys, so I can do is pull up their best in high school and camps. And you are correct: one of them did not use a tee in high school - but none of that matters now, what they do for CU is what matters.

Really? .... <<snip>> Feel free to disagree, to call me names, whatever. I'm over 40. I'm a man. I can take it.

I just figured he is friends with one of the kickers and feels duty-bound to defend him.
images

That's why I posted the three guys' longest FGs in games:

Goodman 54
Grossnickle 53
Castor 51.

Pretty close, considering it's field position that dictates the length of the field goal in a game, not how far a kicker COULD make it if he could pick any spot on the field. It just demonstrates that NONE of them has a problem with range, in theory. Accuracy at that range is another story. All three of them do better under 40 yards - who wouldn't?

Maybe if our team hadn't forced Goodman to kick 45+ attempts so often, he'd have great stats and nobody would question him as starter. Crosby got dinged statistically for trying long FGs and missing a few --- a guy who is at 100% with 10 kicks at 40 yards is going to win the Lou Groza even when Crosby is at 100% at 50 yards, but has a couple misses 60 and up.

(And I wouldn't even bring up the punter's field goal range if it hadn't been questioned. From all I hear - and I do hear stuff - he is happy with the punting position and happy to let the remaining kickers figure out who will do the kicking.)

It wasn't my intention to trash any of the players, Rodrigo. Misunderstanding.

Back