What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Article: Letter to CU Administrative Officials & Interested Parties

It doesn't matter if Embree was a true Buff or not. He was the worst coach in the entire FBS. His team was completely directionless and he was fired for cause. The only reason to be mad is the decision 2 years ago to hire a completely unqualified coach because he was a true Buff.

What does being a new poster have to do with anything? I came to the university in 1984 and have lived in the area since and been a ticketholder since. Is it not OK to express an opinion?
Do you really think long time posters here are fair weather fans?

What does being a new poster have to do with anything? I came to the university in 1984 and have lived in the area since and been a ticketholder since. Is it not OK to express an opinion?

Your opinions are fine. Lately there have been a group of new posters coming to allbuff and telling us if we don't kowtow to everything the AD(prefiring) or B4L (post firing) say then we are fair weather fans.

No one on this site is a fair weather fan. We have dealt with mediocre and horrible teams for 10 years now. Yet we are still here. We talk a big game about not renewing our season tickets but we all will. We are the ones that care about the program and want to see it return to some sort of semblance to what it used to be. We are CU football. We care. That is something that gets lost in all this drama.

Quite frankly, I am embarrassed for my university this week. What a "Bohn"headed move by the administration to cover up their own shortcomings. A piece of junk like Hawkins gets five years but a true Buff like Embree gets two? What a disgrace. 8 seniors, 45 freshman....you do the math. There's a reason it's called "rebuilding." Look at Mac's first three seasons if you need a history lesson....I know, I was there. I watched the program build. Sure, it's easy for some in this string to talk about selling their tickets....that's what short sighted, reactionary, fair weathered fans threaten or even do. They are not true Buffs.

He had 28 seniors last year and was still terrible. He also drove off a number of players who would have contributed. He can't have it both ways

I appreciate the passion of the fans on this page, and I don't question you're love for Buff football. I made one comment concerning fair weathered fans and I stand by it: If you give up on the program in hard times, you don't deserve to enjoy the good times. That's not just an outlook on Buff football, that's an outlook on life. DPLY, I appreciate that you came back with a thoughtful and honest response. SUPERIORBUFF, by what measure do you make your comments, simply the W-L record? If I took over Alabama's team as head coach next year, how many wins do you think I would have? If I had 7, would that make me a good college football coach? How can you legitimately make an argument against keeping Embree for one more year after the program gave Hawk five and didn't give up on Mac through three terrible seasons (that I lived through as a student). Coaching is more than wins and losses when you're in rebuilding phase, it's about creating a culture, building a base, making the right chess moves to put the right people in the right seats on the bus, and WINNING the hearts and minds of your players. The right decision would have been to get rid of the real problem children: Bienemy and Brown. Bohn took the easy way out to appease the fan base, and it's shameful.

I appreciate the passion of the fans on this page, and I don't question you're love for Buff football. I made one comment concerning fair weathered fans and I stand by it: If you give up on the program in hard times, you don't deserve to enjoy the good times. That's not just an outlook on Buff football, that's an outlook on life. DPLY, I appreciate that you came back with a thoughtful and honest response. SUPERIORBUFF, by what measure do you make your comments, simply the W-L record? If I took over Alabama's team as head coach next year, how many wins do you think I would have? If I had 7, would that make me a good college football coach? How can you legitimately make an argument against keeping Embree for one more year after the program gave Hawk five and didn't give up on Mac through three terrible seasons (that I lived through as a student). Coaching is more than wins and losses when you're in rebuilding phase, it's about creating a culture, building a base, making the right chess moves to put the right people in the right seats on the bus, and WINNING the hearts and minds of your players. The right decision would have been to get rid of the real problem children: Bienemy and Brown. Bohn took the easy way out to appease the fan base, and it's shameful.
We didn't give up on the program. We organized a grass roots campaign to change it.

Embree wouldn't get rid of EB.

Next?

You need to separate Hawk from Embree. The administration chose to keep Hawk due to financial considerations that no longer hamstring the A.D. Bohn tried to fire Hawk after the 4th season and was told no. Wins and losses is a huge factor in deciding the fate of a coach. If the wins aren't there then there needs to be visible improvement on the field to justify keeping the coach. CU showed no improvement and actually regressed over the year. The team was clueless. Embree's choices of EB & Brown in the first place show that he was over his head. BCS football is no place for on the job training; where Bohn deserves extreme criticism is for hiring an unqualified coach.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Lt.Col.FrankSlade
My point is exactly what I ****ing wrote. The next head coach only has to win 2 games to do better than Embree.

OK thanks, it's a ****ing math demonstration. I thought there was more depth there, sorry.

Last edited:

First of all, let's compare apples to apples, shall we?

What was Dan Hawkins' record at CU in his SECOND YEAR? Did Dan Hawkins take CU to a bowl game in his SECOND YEAR? Did Dan Hawkins' CU team improve from year 1 to year 2?

What was Jon Embree's record at CU in his SECOND YEAR? Did John Embree take CU to a bowl game in his SECOND YEAR? I know that was his goal for the season, but did he achieve it? Did Jon Embree's team improve from year 1 to year 2?

As Ivan Maisel stated - the fact that Dan Hawkins received FIVE years is exactly the reason Jon Embree only got TWO years. When all of the indicators show that your team (and coaching staff) are on the downward trend, DO NOT WAIT for things to get worse. Make the change! The fact of the matter is, Dan Hawkins SHOULD NOT have gotten a 5th year. CU made the right decision to not make the same mistake twice.

Your opinions are fine. Lately there have been a group of new posters coming to allbuff and telling us if we don't kowtow to everything the AD(prefiring) or B4L (post firing) say then we are fair weather fans.

No one on this site is a fair weather fan. We have dealt with mediocre and horrible teams for 10 years now. Yet we are still here. We talk a big game about not renewing our season tickets but we all will. We are the ones that care about the program and want to see it return to some sort of semblance to what it used to be. We are CU football. We care. That is something that gets lost in all this drama.

I am a new poster but have been a Buff football fan since the 1960's. You say you've dealt with mediocre and bad teams for "10 years now" which is fine, but statements like "We are the ones that care"..."We are CU football"? That strikes me as more than a little arrogant.There are fans who have been diehards longer than I have, and at their ages, you won't find them on this site at all.

You aren't CU football just because you've been on a forum for a decade. You are a part, but just a part.

I am a new poster but have been a Buff football fan since the 1960's. You say you've dealt with mediocre and bad teams for "10 years now" which is fine, but statements like "We are the ones that care"..."We are CU football"? That strikes me as more than a little arrogant.There are fans who have been diehards longer than I have, and at their ages, you won't find them on this site at all.

You aren't CU football just because you've been on a forum for a decade. You are a part, but just a part.
You got it wrong. We are members of a CU forum for a decade because we are CU football fans. Cu football fans, as a group, are CU football. Allbuffs is a collection of die hard CU fans.

It is fine to voice an opinion but it would help to back it up with some facts. That is what Nik, myself and others have done to support ours and have openly debated the topic whenever asked. I for one am proud of CU and know that it was not the easy road that was chosen by the leaders. When you look at the facts that have been laid out, you have to admit that there was room for debate on whether Jon deserved more time. And in my opinion, CU was very justified in terminating Jon.

I was talking about the fact that posters are coming here and calling us fair weather fans. They know nothing about us.

Are there other fans as passionate about CU football as us? Of course. I'm saying that Alllbuffs isn't the enemy. The fans that wanted a change are not the enemy. We care maybe too much at times.

Every poster on allbuffs is what the AD wants. We are passionate. We rally behind causes for the AD. We live and breathe Colorado Football. We've continued to show up to games year after year hoping things will get better screaming our asses off. Hell, many posters here live out of state but still have season tickets. Yet we are the ones who are dumb idots that need to keep our mouth shut and open up our pocketbooks more. It doesn't work that way.

I was talking about the fact that posters are coming here and calling us fair weather fans. They know nothing about us.

Are there other fans as passionate about CU football as us? Of course. I'm saying that Alllbuffs isn't the enemy. The fans that wanted a change are not the enemy. We care maybe too much at times.

Every poster on allbuffs is what the AD wants. We are passionate. We rally behind causes for the AD. We live and breathe Colorado Football. We've continued to show up to games year after year hoping things will get better screaming our asses off. Yet we are the ones who are dumb idots that need to keep our mouth shut and open up our pocketbooks more. It doesn't work that way.

Fair statement, thanks.

OK thanks, it's a ****ing math demonstration. I thought there was more depth there, sorry.

What depth are you looking for?

Nearly all I hear from Mac and Camp Embree is that contracts should be honored for their duration or administrators lack integrity, there were things improving with the program that don't show up on the scoreboard (team GPA, team discipline, etc. - Hawkinsesque), he believes that Embree has what it takes, and that it was racist to fire Jon Embree. Then sprinkle in some stuff about not getting the support in the furniture and food & beverage services areas.

None of that has any depth. That's an assault on anyone who doesn't have the blind faith that Mac does and doesn't live in the real world of contracts where people leave for other jobs and people get fired for underperforming.

You won't find blind faith in Mike Bohn or the CU administration here. This site has been critical of both. We're trying to base opinions on the facts available to us. We're also calling out statements by Mac and Camp Embree that have been incorrect, illogical and/or come across as a smear campaign.

A reasonable case could be made for Embree to get a 3rd year. 2 years is an incredibly short time when it wasn't a program that was ready to win when he took over. And while Embree could have done some things to get a few more early wins by fitting the systems to existing players and giving more playing time to veterans who would not have made as many learning-curve mistakes, that would not have been the way to build for the future. The 2012 recruiting class seems strong and there are a few 2011 guys who like like they'll be good players here. Some of that 2012 recruiting class gray shirted, so they'll bump up the 2013 class and along with the return of a playmaker like Paul Richardson the 2013 season has a lot of potential for improvement - Embree should be given the chance to show what he can do with that. And, finally, there are none of the issues with scandal or academic failings that would usually have to be present to justify pulling the plug so quickly on a coach. (Camp Embree members should thank me for typing that up for them. :wink2:)

I think that the 3rd year case could have been made in a much better way. The way it was presented, the message ended up being: "If you don't support a 3rd year then you are a fair weather fan, lack integrity, have an over-inflated opinion of yourself for daring to disagree with Coach Mac, and you're probably a racist." When those types of emotionally-charged accusations are thrown at people, it's not going to win anyone to the other side. In fact, it reinforces the opinion that the faster CU could make a break from this crowd the better off it would be.

What depth are you looking for?

Nearly all I hear from Mac and Camp Embree is that contracts should be honored for their duration or administrators lack integrity, there were things improving with the program that don't show up on the scoreboard (team GPA, team discipline, etc. - Hawkinsesque), he believes that Embree has what it takes, and that it was racist to fire Jon Embree. Then sprinkle in some stuff about not getting the support in the furniture and food & beverage services areas.

None of that has any depth. That's an assault on anyone who doesn't have the blind faith that Mac does and doesn't live in the real world of contracts where people leave for other jobs and people get fired for underperforming.

You won't find blind faith in Mike Bohn or the CU administration here. This site has been critical of both. We're trying to base opinions on the facts available to us. We're also calling out statements by Mac and Camp Embree that have been incorrect, illogical and/or come across as a smear campaign.

A reasonable case could be made for Embree to get a 3rd year. 2 years is an incredibly short time when it wasn't a program that was ready to win when he took over. And while Embree could have done some things to get a few more early wins by fitting the systems to existing players and giving more playing time to veterans who would not have made as many learning-curve mistakes, that would not have been the way to build for the future. The 2012 recruiting class seems strong and there are a few 2011 guys who like like they'll be good players here. Some of that 2012 recruiting class gray shirted, so they'll bump up the 2013 class and along with the return of a playmaker like Paul Richardson the 2013 season has a lot of potential for improvement - Embree should be given the chance to show what he can do with that. And, finally, there are none of the issues with scandal or academic failings that would usually have to be present to justify pulling the plug so quickly on a coach. (Camp Embree members should thank me for typing that up for them. :wink2:)

I think that the 3rd year case could have been made in a much better way. The way it was presented, the message ended up being: "If you don't support a 3rd year then you are a fair weather fan, lack integrity, have an over-inflated opinion of yourself for daring to disagree with Coach Mac, and you're probably a racist." When those types of emotionally-charged accusations are thrown at people, it's not going to win anyone to the other side. In fact, it reinforces the opinion that the faster CU could make a break from this crowd the better off it would be.

That wasn't my message at all. My point was that people forget that a coach going 1-10 can turn a program around given enough time. If I wanted to say fair weather fan, probably a racist, etc., I would simply have said so. I'm also not trying to win converts.

That wasn't my message at all. My point was that people forget that a coach going 1-10 can turn a program around given enough time. If I wanted to say fair weather fan, probably a racist, etc., I would simply have said so. I'm also not trying to win converts.

That part was directed at the messaging from Mac and other supporters who have a public forum.

You had originally brought up that we should have faith in Mac's opinions here. From what I've seen and heard the past few days, Mac's about the last guy I'd listen to on a coaching hire.

Then when you complained about a lack of depth and complained about someone stating Embree's record, it seemed like you didn't want to discuss anything tangible. If your point was not that this should be about faith, trust and unsupported opinion like Mac and other public figures have suggested, then I apologize.

How many examples are there of a 1-10 turning around? Especially in the modern era with just about every game televised, the internet, smartphones, recruiting sites and the general speed of information. It's a different world than when Mac or Beamer or even Alvarez rebounded from slow starts. Things move too fast for that approach.

Buffnik - Your comments could not be more spot on concerning the argument for a third year. Unfortunately in this day and age of high powered, big money college athletics, coupled with an impatient fan base who expect a team with half of it's players having never played a college game before to produce a better season than the first one with 28 seniors vs. 8, the things other than W-L's that make a coach great (integrity, character, strength, scandal-free, improved student GPA's) have become irrelevant. The program was completely decimated by Hawkins, a new direction was required and that's why Embree went with the youth movement. I believe he absolutely would have let Bienemy and Brown go, no question. My position is clear, and has nothing to do with race or the lack of integrity of Bohn...a plausible argument simply cannot logically be made for his firing.

Buffnik - Your comments could not be more spot on concerning the argument for a third year. Unfortunately in this day and age of high powered, big money college athletics, coupled with an impatient fan base who expect a team with half of it's players having never played a college game before to produce a better season than the first one with 28 seniors vs. 8, the things other than W-L's that make a coach great (integrity, character, strength, scandal-free, improved student GPA's) have become irrelevant. The program was completely decimated by Hawkins, a new direction was required and that's why Embree went with the youth movement. I believe he absolutely would have let Bienemy and Brown go, no question. My position is clear, and has nothing to do with race or the lack of integrity of Bohn...a plausible argument simply cannot logically be made for his firing.
what you believe as to staff changes is not necessarily backed up by what we know re: EB. and who would he have gotten to replace them? Nobody wanted to work for a lame duck coach.

You see no plausible argument for the coach of the worst college football team in the nation, the team that is last in nearly every statistical category except punting, a team that is the worst in the schools history, with an abyssmal recruiting class that lost its 2 best recruits, a team that was routinely blown out, a team with idiotic gameday coaching errors, and a team that was going to try and implement a new offensive system that the coaches weren't familiar with, to be fired?

k

That part was directed at the messaging from Mac and other supporters who have a public forum.

You had originally brought up that we should have faith in Mac's opinions here. From what I've seen and heard the past few days, Mac's about the last guy I'd listen to on a coaching hire.

Then when you complained about a lack of depth and complained about someone stating Embree's record, it seemed like you didn't want to discuss anything tangible. If your point was not that this should be about faith, trust and unsupported opinion like Mac and other public figures have suggested, then I apologize.

How many examples are there of a 1-10 turning around? Especially in the modern era with just about every game televised, the internet, smartphones, recruiting sites and the general speed of information. It's a different world than when Mac or Beamer or even Alvarez rebounded from slow starts. Things move too fast for that approach.

You make an excellent point about the differences between Mac's era and now. You also make strong arguments based on facts and statistics. I will also admit that I am not smart enough to know whether the program would or would not have been turned around under Embree.

On the other hand, I don't believe it's fair to say Mac's opinion is any less supported than yours. I say this because of his background. This does not make my belief irrational, if that's what you meant by using the words "faith" and "trust". It is rational, in my belief, to start from a position of respect for the opinion of someone who has accomplished a thing almost no one else has. I do not ask that person to back up their opinion with Aristotelian logic.

You make an excellent point about the differences between Mac's era and now. You also make strong arguments based on facts and statistics. I will also admit that I am not smart enough to know whether the program would or would not have been turned around under Embree.

On the other hand, I don't believe it's fair to say Mac's opinion is any less supported than yours. I say this because of his background. This does not make my belief irrational, if that's what you meant by using the words "faith" and "trust". It is rational, in my belief, to start from a position of respect for the opinion of someone who has accomplished a thing almost no one else has. I do not ask that person to back up their opinion with Aristotelian logic.

I don't think it's illogical at all to say that you're not an expert on the topic so you are going to proceed based on the advice of the expert you trust. I just think that Mac is too close to this for him to be a reliable expert. Kind of like how lawyers don't defend themselves and doctors don't operate on their children.

I don't think it's illogical at all to say that you're not an expert on the topic so you are going to proceed based on the advice of the expert you trust. I just think that Mac is too close to this for him to be a reliable expert. Kind of like how lawyers don't defend themselves and doctors don't operate on their children.

Another excellent point! I'll also be the first (well, no, not the first) to admit that when he gets upset, he can make some overly emotional and not completely well-grounded statements.

"what you believe as to staff changes is not necessarily backed up by what we know"

Didn't realize I was in the presence of such insiders. Tell me then, who's next?

And I love the whole "unqualified" argument:
-Stellar career as a college player
-Two years as a player in the NFL before career ending injury
-11 years as a college position coach (10 of them for our beloved Buffs)
-2 years as Asst. Head Coach at UCLA (in his 2nd season, as the Passing Game Coordinator in additiona to Asst. Head Coach, UCLA was the #7 offense in the country)
-4 years as a position coach in the NFL (coaching Tony Gonzales to his only back to back 1000 yard seasons)

Yep, definitely unqualified.

"what you believe as to staff changes is not necessarily backed up by what we know"

Didn't realize I was in the presence of such insiders. Tell me then, who's next?

And I love the whole "unqualified" argument:
-Stellar career as a college player
-Two years as a player in the NFL before career ending injury
-11 years as a college position coach (10 of them for our beloved Buffs)
-2 years as Asst. Head Coach at UCLA (in his 2nd season, as the Passing Game Coordinator in additiona to Asst. Head Coach, UCLA was the #7 offense in the country)
-4 years as a position coach in the NFL (coaching Tony Gonzales to his only back to back 1000 yard seasons)

Yep, definitely unqualified.

That certainly looks unqualified to get hired to be head coach at a BCS program. At least underqualified. Doesn't really stack up with what we see with other guys getting hired at this level. Looks more like an OC hire under a HC known as a great OC himself. That made it more of a risk hire because there was nothing he could point to that said - "I was in charge of that and look what I accomplished". Risk hires typically don't get as much patience as a guy like Mac who had a bunch of years as Michigan's defensive coordinator while they were on top. It's a shame it didn't work. Would have been awesome if we could have had a situation like Northwestern has with Fitzgerald.

I've known Jon a long time so I'm clearly a bit biased. I've seen how those kids wanna play for him so badly it hurts. I've seen his utter and complete dedication to his job and to those around him. I've seen him change the culture of the program and bring everything about it back to respectability except for the W-L column, and I truly believe that would have come in the next 1-2 years as the talent was developed. College football, just as life, is not just about statistics. You've got to be able to see the intangibles and take the plunge....you know, see forest through the trees. These are student athletes that are highly impressionable and can be motivated to excel far beyond what the stat sheet shows they are capable of with the right motivator behind them. This isn't Moneyball. The man deserved another year.

History, I respect your honesty and friendship with Jon. I have long time friends who played with Jon @ CU and they feel the way you do. I know he is a remarkable friend, so much so that he is often the thread that holds those friendships together. It is obvious that he was loved by the players. Where I part with you is that I just didn't see anything that suggests to me that he deserved a 3rd year. Thanks for coming to Allbufs and sharing your perspective.

Back