What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Article: Letter to CU Administrative Officials & Interested Parties

I appreciate the passion of the fans on this page, and I don't question you're love for Buff football. I made one comment concerning fair weathered fans and I stand by it: If you give up on the program in hard times, you don't deserve to enjoy the good times. That's not just an outlook on Buff football, that's an outlook on life. DPLY, I appreciate that you came back with a thoughtful and honest response. SUPERIORBUFF, by what measure do you make your comments, simply the W-L record? If I took over Alabama's team as head coach next year, how many wins do you think I would have? If I had 7, would that make me a good college football coach? How can you legitimately make an argument against keeping Embree for one more year after the program gave Hawk five and didn't give up on Mac through three terrible seasons (that I lived through as a student). Coaching is more than wins and losses when you're in rebuilding phase, it's about creating a culture, building a base, making the right chess moves to put the right people in the right seats on the bus, and WINNING the hearts and minds of your players. The right decision would have been to get rid of the real problem children: Bienemy and Brown. Bohn took the easy way out to appease the fan base, and it's shameful.

It is more than wins and losses. It is seeing the kids get coached up. And these kids were regressing. That is the issue. And yes, but from what we hear, JE would not fire EB. And if six coaches were going to leave, then JE failed as a evaluator of coaching talent.

Point is, you could fire everyone but JE and let him start over, and all good coaches would know he was a dead man walking. Nobody that was a great coach would come into this environment under him. My guess is Bohn was feeling out assistant OC/DC coaches and realized nobody would work under JE that was worth a ****.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

It is fine to voice an opinion but it would help to back it up with some facts. That is what Nik, myself and others have done to support ours and have openly debated the topic whenever asked. I for one am proud of CU and know that it was not the easy road that was chosen by the leaders. When you look at the facts that have been laid out, you have to admit that there was room for debate on whether Jon deserved more time. And in my opinion, CU was very justified in terminating Jon.

Hawk looked like a good qualified coach coming in. In year two CU improved and beat #3 OU and went to a bowl game. Immediatly Hawkins got interest and it scared CU into a contract extension to keep him. Year three, he looked worse, recruiting dropped some..(year one of new contract). Year four he sucked eggs and it became obvious that it was getting worse. (year two of going downward). Bohn at that point wanted to fire him. Same as two years of regressing under Embree.

Now we know that Benson didnt want Hawk to be fired because he didn't want to explain another firing and big payout when trying to milk more money out of the state funds. So he made Bohn keep him one more year. Recruiting tanked because he was a lame duck coach. We see the issues of a tanked class.

Now, here we are at two years of sucking, getting worse, recruiting dropping in a big way (anyone with other big time offers are jumping ship) but the difference is 1. We have PAC 12 money to move on. 2. Benson isn't begging the Stayed for money this year. 3. I think the admin has watched CU basketball and realize how that improved CU brand image, and how football is destroying it. I think they finally realize thier job is easier with a great team.

In summary, two years of suckitude meant both coaches were going to get fired. Jons was worse by far, and Hawk only got saved because we didn't have PAC 12 money.

I've known Jon a long time so I'm clearly a bit biased. I've seen how those kids wanna play for him so badly it hurts. I've seen his utter and complete dedication to his job and to those around him. I've seen him change the culture of the program and bring everything about it back to respectability except for the W-L column, and I truly believe that would have come in the next 1-2 years as the talent was developed. College football, just as life, is not just about statistics. You've got to be able to see the intangibles and take the plunge....you know, see forest through the trees. These are student athletes that are highly impressionable and can be motivated to excel far beyond what the stat sheet shows they are capable of with the right motivator behind them. This isn't Moneyball. The man deserved another year.

I really feel your passion and can see how much you care about Embree. Thanks for the perspective and insight from your side. I am sure that there are many others close to Jon who have the same feelings and I really can understand why when you are as close to and believe in someone so much.

....a plausible argument simply cannot logically be made for his firing.

Bullshyt. Here is a plausible argument for you. All the true freshman and red shirt freshman he played this year look worse at the end of the year them they did when they started playing. Which tells me that he they had better coaching in highschool them they did at CU. I didn't expect a bowl game, I didn't expect them to win many, but I expected them to look like they were getting coached up and starting to understand more at the end of the season and they never ever did that. the coaches felt them and as the head coach his job is to hire competent coaches and Embee failed miserably at that.

SuperiorBuff and Buffalo Brad - Thanks for the comments and insight, you are respectable fans even though we differ in opinion.

Lt.Col.FrankSlade - Your "Water Bottle" comment adequately expresses what a small minded person you must be. Based on your belittling and sophmoric comments in this thread, it's obvious that the "Lt.Col." portion of your handle is a fake.

All that said...I sincerely hope Jon goes out and becomes a OC or assistant OC for a lower level school, and learns to kick ass. Then I hope he becomes that OC slash assistant HC and kicks ass in that job..then gets a program like Utah State to be a HC at and kicks ass at that. I sincerely hope that he comes back to CU and wins MNCs here. But right now, he was in over his head, was unqualified, and was not getting the job done, no matter how much the kids loved him.

I loved the teachers that let me slack off way more than the ones that kicked my ass and forced me to be a better student. Not saying it is the same, but......kids are kids.

FlatironsBuff - I respect your opinion, but also respecfully disagree with your analysis of the Freshman players. They absolutely were coached up throughout the season and got better. You're basing your judgment off the teams they played pre-conference vs. conference play against some of the best teams in the country. They were over their head, no doubt, but they kept their heads up, learned, and got better even if the W-L column didn't reflect that. Better coaching in high school? Give me a break. Those players (who choose to stick around now that we canned their mentor football and life mentor) will be bigger, faster, and much smarter next year as a result of the job Embree did. If that's not apparent to you, there's nothing I can say to change your opinion. And to address your analogy, I personally loved the teachers that challenged my intellect and forced me to try and be a better student and man vs. the ones who didn't care. Maybe we're both just cut from a different cloth.

FlatironsBuff - I respect your opinion, but also respecfully disagree with your analysis of the Freshman players. They absolutely were coached up throughout the season and got better. You're basing your judgment off the teams they played pre-conference vs. conference play against some of the best teams in the country. They were over their head, no doubt, but they kept their heads up, learned, and got better even if the W-L column didn't reflect that. Better coaching in high school? Give me a break. Those players (who choose to stick around now that we canned their mentor football and life mentor) will be bigger, faster, and much smarter next year as a result of the job Embree did. If that's not apparent to you, there's nothing I can say to change your opinion. And to address your analogy, I personally loved the teachers that challenged my intellect and forced me to try and be a better student and man vs. the ones who didn't care. Maybe we're both just cut from a different cloth.

I'm with HistoryBuff on this one. I think it's hard to argue against Embree having a staff of excellent position coaches who know how to teach players how to play their positions. I see the problems as being at the level of scheme, coordination and in-game/in-season adjustments. Honestly, it looks like Embree saw the same thing I did and was going to change schemes and at least 1 coordinator. My thinking was that if we were doing a re-set of things that the chance of having success was higher with a new coach since the results hadn't been there under Embree and hiring a new coach gives you a short-term recruiting bump.

I'm with HistoryBuff on this one. I think it's hard to argue that we had a staff of excellent position coaches who know know how to teach players how to play their positions. I see the problems as being at the level of scheme, coordination and in-game/in-season adjustments. Honestly, it looks like Embree saw the same thing I did and was going to change schemes and at least 1 coordinator. My thinking was that if we were doing a re-set of things that the chance of having success was higher with a new coach since the results hadn't been there under Embree and hiring a new coach gives you a short-term recruiting bump.
Plus, he had already tried to change schemes once (hurry up). We know how that ended up.

SuperiorBuff and Buffalo Brad - Thanks for the comments and insight, you are respectable fans even though we differ in opinion.

Lt.Col.FrankSlade - Your "Water Bottle" comment adequately expresses what a small minded person you must be. Based on your belittling and sophmoric comments in this thread, it's obvious that the "Lt.Col." portion of your handle is a fake.

You actually thought, even for a second, that I was a Lt. Col.?

You may be a history buff, but you are apparently not a movie buff.

Back