What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ARWU Rankings out for 2014: CU is #34 in the world

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Academic Ranking of World Universities is out of Shanghai. It heavily factors in research, graduate level education, and the hard sciences. It's a main one that university presidents and chancellors look at. It drives applications ($$$) from Asia.

From the Pac-12:

#2 Stanford
#4 Cal
#12 UCLA
#15 Washington
#34 Colorado
#51 USC
#86 Arizona
#87 Utah
#88 Arizona State
#151-200 Oregon State
#201-300 Oregon
#201-300 Washington State

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2014.html

Interesting that the first four schools on the list that participate in BCS level football are PAC schools. The B1G starts to show up in the 20's but of the major conferences this list would make a strong argument that the PAC is easily the highest ranked academically.

What is the driving factor for international students to attend one university over another in the states? I ask because while living in Fort Collins (Great place minus csu athletics:lol:) there was a large amount of young men mostly from Kuwait who went to school there and lived in the same apartment community as I did. Do schools set up pipelines to recruit students from certain locations?

That's actually down one spot from last year. My guess is it has nothing to do with CU losing ground and more to do with making room for institutions who took a big step forward. Basing this off the fact that we moved up in the US News College rankings.

Either way, pretty elite company and look forward to climbing up the list in the future.

CSU and NU 201-300. And CU > UT.
P5 schools in front of CU:
Michigan
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois
Minnesota (is that the right one - Twin Cities campus?)
Duke

Last edited:
After the Notre Dame academic scandal story broke, I saw all of these stories about how Notre Dame is such an academically elite school, just one step below Harvard, and I thought, really? Alright, they have a top 15 ranked law school, but other than that I have never thought that they were all that elite. It is very satisfying to see them ranked in the 200-300 pod, along with CSU.

What is the driving factor for international students to attend one university over another in the states? I ask because while living in Fort Collins (Great place minus csu athletics:lol:) there was a large amount of young men mostly from Kuwait who went to school there and lived in the same apartment community as I did. Do schools set up pipelines to recruit students from certain locations?

you were neighbors with Anwar al-Awlaki???

I consider Stanford, Cal and UCLA the elite academic schools in the PAC12. Washington, Colorado and Arizona are mid-tier to me, but would be elite in any other conference (right, SEC?). The rest are pretty good schools, but not elite by any means IMO.

Interesting to see the Power 5 representation in the Top 50 schools. PAC12 kicks ass.

Untitled.jpg

I would say Furd, Cal, UCLA and UW are tier1, we and U$C are tier2, UA, ASU, UU are tier3, and the other three are tier4.

Back