What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

As a veteran of watching five coaching changes let me offer some advice...

Why does everyone think that the Pac 10 is some football haven? Get real, people. For the past ten years, it has been the Pac USC, and thats about it. Sure, Oregon is an occasional flavor of the week, and Washington has a solid history.

But we are joining likely the 4th best BCS conference out of six, and leaving the Big XII, which is #2 on that list.

Sure, we need to hire a good coach, but we don't need to dig up George Halas to be successful in the Pac 12.

Pac 10 is nowhere for somebody to learn to be a head coach.

Recruiting is invaluable as is Nik's point about large coaching tree/network. I don't necessarily agree that the right guy has to have head coaching experience.

Why does everyone think that the Pac 10 is some football haven? Get real, people. For the past ten years, it has been the Pac USC, and thats about it. Sure, Oregon is an occasional flavor of the week, and Washington has a solid history.

But we are joining likely the 4th best BCS conference out of six, and leaving the Big XII, which is #2 on that list.

Sure, we need to hire a good coach, but we don't need to dig up George Halas to be successful in the Pac 12.

please give us that order 1-6

Bama is making a HUGE amount of sense, you EB/Embree guys should listen to him.

Who do you want that would be better? CU isn't Bama or UT or USC. The Buffs do not have the pick of the cream of the crop, so compromises have to be made somewhere.

Three things keep coaches: payroll, facilities, AD

Don't overlook these items, Buffalo faithful!!! Unless we can bring payroll up to par to at least the median level of Pac 10/12 schools, regain some semblance of autonomy from the rest of the university in the AD, and obtain funding for new/upgraded facilities, Colorado WILL NOT be able to attract a quality head coach.

Color me pessimistic on all of those fronts.

Who do you want that would be better? CU isn't Bama or UT or USC. The Buffs do not have the pick of the cream of the crop, so compromises have to be made somewhere.

I haven't spent a ton of time looking at coaching options because it isn't my call, but my thoughts are that we need someone with established major conference coordinator experience at a school where the head coach doesnt specialize on one side of the ball. i.e. not stoops' DC or Leach's OC and then give him the budget to hire a complimentary co-ordinator to lead the other side of the ball.

I love what EB and Embree did for this program but which both are assistant head coach in name neither has had the grooming and responsibility required to run a team.

Ties to school....overrated
Ties to area......overrated
HC experience.....invaluable
Recruiting ability...invaluable
Coaching ability....overrated

Back in the day, Coach Mac was not a head coach before he took over here. His recruiting ability as well as his staff was outstanding.

Head Coaching Experience - not necessary. Coordinator experience at a major program is important. McCartney and Crowder both came to CU from programs as top assistants. Both were lights out recruiters and had been mentored by experienced head coaches - Crowder by Bud Wilkinson and Bill McCartney by Bo Schembechler. I think how you get the experience and who teaches you is very important.

CEC started with a 4-16 record and CBM started with a 7-25 record. That will get you fired in most places today. There is a learning curve to becoming a HC.

Last edited:
So you're saying that if you don't recruit as good as Bama, you don't recruit well? I understand CDH's recruiting hasn't been really good, but his first two years were relatively good and very good compared with other teams with similar records.

That is a great rationalization. The problem is you don't play teams with similar records you play teams in your league. OU and UT both had more freshman 4 and 5 stars than on your entire team.

That is a great rationalization. The problem is you don't play teams with similar records you play teams in your league. OU and UT both had more freshman 4 and 5 stars than on your entire team.

I understand that, but we can't expect to recruit a ton of 4 and 5 star guys with the shape our program is in. So for us, a couple of Hawk's recruiting classes were good. For what we can realistically expect at this time. When we get back to being a good team, I will expect better recruiting and will not call these past classes good. You get that, right?

I understand that, but we can't expect to recruit a ton of 4 and 5 star guys with the shape our program is in. So for us, a couple of Hawk's recruiting classes were good. For what we can realistically expect at this time. When we get back to being a good team, I will expect better recruiting and will not call these past classes good. You get that, right?

I get the current results. I just don't think somebody is going to come in and coach up a bunch of 2 stars to beat 4/5 stars on a regular basis. Your team doesn't have a ton of talent nearby [think tuk tenesee] and you need to have a recruiter in there.

^^Totally agreed. We have some good players, but need a lot more if we want to seriously contend. And now that Hawk has no excuses for poor records to tell the recruits, we aren't getting anyone good. We had a top 15 class when he could tell them that we just came off of a bowl season in his 2nd year and are looking toward a bright future. That shtick is gone now. Time for a change.

I see your point, but Colorado is never going to recruit better than Alabama, especially when Alabama is the best team in the nation.

About 8 years ago we had to steal wazzou's old drunk coach because nobody wanted to come there. tuk, the barn, and the corndogs out recruited us and routinely kicked our ass. Things change. Just get the right coach for the right reason.

In the past 10 years, I'd say: SEC, Big XII, Big Ten, Pac 10, ACC, Big East.

Going forward, Big XII will likely fall to #4. They only have UT and OU now, with a bunch of also-rans. The SEC and Big Ten (with Nebraska) are clearly out in front, and then there is everybody else. If FSU and Miami can get their act together, the ACC will pass the Big XII as well. What a fall for the once proud... nice going UT!

please give us that order 1-6

In the past 10 years, I'd say: SEC, Big XII, Big Ten, Pac 10, ACC, Big East.

Going forward, Big XII will likely fall to #4. They only have UT and OU now, with a bunch of also-rans. The SEC and Big Ten (with Nebraska) are clearly out in front, and then there is everybody else. If FSU and Miami can get their act together, the ACC will pass the Big XII as well. What a fall for the once proud... nice going UT!

I would agree with that order, although I'm not sure I wouldn't put the ACC last. Other than FSU for a couple of years early in the decade, it's pretty much been VT and everyone else. But it's discretionary because Miami and VT were in the Big East until 2004. The ACC has been abysmal in BCS bowls going 2-10, while the Big East has gone a respectable 6-6. Not surprisingly, the Big East and the ACC are the only 2 BCS conferences to never receive an at-large BCS selection.

About 8 years ago we had to steal wazzou's old drunk coach because nobody wanted to come there. tuk, the barn, and the corndogs out recruited us and routinely kicked our ass. Things change. Just get the right coach for the right reason.

I remember that, Shaud told me all about it.

HC experience.....invaluable
Recruiting ability...invaluable
Coaching ability....overrated

Overall well said, although I'd tweak the list slightly...

HC experience.....overrated (although they should likely have coordinator experience at a minimum)
Recruiting ability...critical
Coaching ability....critical

I'll add a couple others:
Familiarity with social networking....invaluable
Ability to hire a great staff....invaluable
Ability to connect with today's youth....critical

In today's world you have to not only be a great coach, you need to be media savvy and in tune with the kids. Not necessarily to be friends with them, but to understand them. We're going to see head coaches becoming younger and younger (40s and 50s)... the Paterno's and Bowden's will be be a thing of the past.

If we had the budget to go after a Nick Saban, I'd feel a lot more comfortable about us being able to successfully follow this advice...

Bama is making a HUGE amount of sense, you EB/Embree guys should listen to him.

A huge amount of sense for teams like Alabama that have thier choice of about any coach anywhere to choose from. We do not have that luxury at CU. We have to take a chance on a guy here. Just the way it is. The coaching contract situation the State of Colorado has put us in and the lack of top facilities to compete with other top schools mean we have to take a chance on someone. You think Nick Saban would leave Bama to come here even if we offered more money? No way. We are waaaaay more likely to get a top assistant at a major program to coem here to get his chance at a BCS head coaching gig. A top guy from the Pac 10 would be best choice due to knowledge of the Pac landscape and recruiting fields. EB amd Embree had experience with those recruiting bases. I think they are a good choice ONLY if Mac is the HC for 3-4 years with the thoguht process the entire time that they take over when he steps aside. I think Bellotti would be the former HC I would like from the PAC too-- and where did Carroll go? Not that either are real likely.

CEC started with a 4-16 record and CBM started with a 7-25 record. That will get you fired in most places today. There is a learning curve to becoming a HC.

Exactly why I say that the EB/Embree option is only effective IF CBM comes in as the HC for 3-4 years and teaches them how to be a HC along the way. SO by year three or four they are effectively the HC at CU.

Overall well said, although I'd tweak the list slightly...

HC experience.....overrated (although they should likely have BCS coordinator experience at a minimum)
Recruiting ability...critical
Coaching ability....critical

I'll add a couple others:
Familiarity with social networking....invaluable
Ability to hire a great staff....invaluable
Ability to connect with today's youth....critical

In today's world you have to not only be a great coach, you need to be media savvy and in tune with the kids. Not necessarily to be friends with them, but to understand them. We're going to see head coaches becoming younger and younger (40s and 50s)... the Paterno's and Bowden's will be be a thing of the past.

One more tweak

I don't see us having the ability to steal a head coach from an NFL team 8 years from now.

Perspective and context. Both those guys took over programs that were in trouble. The team was 2-8 the year before Crowder and almost half the team left with the scandal with CSG two years earlier. The 4-16 record was not an issue with Crowder.

It's settled then, we should re-hire Chuck Fairbanks. He was an awesome recruiter, and had head coaching experience at both the major college level and the NFL. What could possibly go wrong?

Back