What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Asst. Coaches

Collins must go. I was chatting with a Boise State fan this week. Really insightful conversation. He was very convincing in his opinion that bringing Collins to Boulder had as big of an impact on both of our programs as them being able to keep Petersen. He was saying how Boise had to outscore opponents if they wanted to win back when Collins was there and that it worked against WAC competition but they weren't doing very well against BCS competition. Since Collins left, their defense has been capable of doing what they did to Oregon to open the season. He was very adamant that we had to get rid of Collins. (Riddle he said is a good coach and that he couldn't understand why our special teams had been so bad.)

Parents (my pops '70 CU grad) live in Boise and have heard the same exact thing from the BSU people they know up there too, 'Nik.

Collins should be an easy fire though (and probably the "one"), based on good knowledge (and I think it's been said here before too) that Brown has actually been the DC since about the Toledo game anyway.

Personally, I love Dan's "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude about his assistant coaches despite their terrible track record in both the W/L column and from observation.

Here is the problem I see with assistant coaches. Who is CU going to attract as an assistant to replace someone if they leave. Assistant coaches with good jobs are not going to want to leave a secure job to take a risk of Hawkins turning it around or not.

Assistants looking for a job may not be the guys we are looking for (staffs of fired coaches).

CU coaches leaving now could cause problems in recruiting. I think CU is in a tough position.

Here is the problem I see with assistant coaches. Who is CU going to attract as an assistant to replace someone if they leave. Assistant coaches with good jobs are not going to want to leave a secure job to take a risk of Hawkins turning it around or not.

Assistants looking for a job may not be the guys we are looking for (staffs of fired coaches).

CU coaches leaving now could cause problems in recruiting. I think CU is in a tough position.

It really depends on who you replace. If it's Collins, you're not losing a recruiter... you're adding one.

We can sell coaches on the fact that it's nearly impossible to get yourself fired here.

It really depends on who you replace. If it's Collins, you're not losing a recruiter... you're adding one.
this. Put brown at DC, which hawk doesn't have recruit anyways, and hire a recruiter (preferably a youngish ex NFL player) to work on fundamentals and rack up the air miles.

hagan moved from RB coach to recruiting co-ordinater would make me happy, get a real RB coach, fire the WR coach, and Fire riddle and collins.

But if I have to make 1 pic....Collins.

Keisau needs demoted back to WR coach. Denver needs to go in my opinion. Hope he gets the head job at Murray St.

this. Put brown at DC, which hawk doesn't have recruit anyways, and hire a recruiter (preferably a youngish ex NFL player) to work on fundamentals and rack up the air miles.

Agree with that.

Make Ambrose the DB coach.

Bring in a good WR coach that can recruit. (seriously without being stupid, I think that could be Dave Logan).

Agree with that.

Make Ambrose the DB coach.

Bring in a good WR coach that can recruit. (seriously without being stupid, I think that could be Dave Logan).

I'd prefer Kies go back to WR and Ambrose DB. Then we have our DC taken care of (Has Brown been recruiting well for us though? I thought he had.) Then we get someone experienced to handle OC/QB. Kragthorpe is available, and we don't have to entrust running a team to him in 2010.

All I ask is that we get an assistant coach in here who has ties and can recruit TEXAS.

let get mack brown hes prolly dying to be our oline coach

before you ask... im bombed

Riddle must go, no way around it. Doubt he goes because he's one of Hawk's favorites.

Agreed

Collins must go, no way around it. Not sure Hawk can make a case for keeping him around.

Agreed

Johnson must go, no way around it. We were better on OL last year with numerous key injuries.

The line actually improved as the year progressed. Stability is more important after 4 different line coaches.

Brandison should go, improvement this year doesn't make up for 3 previous failures.

Was very impressed with Brandison this year. How was last year a failure at the position? We had to great tackles who received double teams all year long and still had decent years. We had DEs who in large part were controlled by one on one blocking and have upgraded the positions with young talent this year. We had LBs who didn't step up after Dizon left to take advantage of the tackles being double teamed.

Pittman had better go, we might look bigger, but we don't seem to be any stronger. Our speed is a serious issue as well.

Strength shows up with comfort at the position. We had a lot of people very confused this year who were out of position or going less than full speed due to the confusion. Not sure about your speed complaint; you can't coach speed.
Replies above.

I'm on the fence as far as Johnson goes, stability sounds like a key component to the OL improving, so I'll accept that.

Brandison doesn't impress me at all. Our pass rush has been lackluster at best under his watch. We don't put pressure on the QB unless we blitz. I also have issue that he didn't recruit much of anything so we were left with playing a redshirt freshman, a true sophomore, and a 2 true freshman on the line this year. I won't get overly upset if he's retained, but I'd prefer a new guy.

My criticism of Pittman is based on what people have said about his techniques. It sounds like he doesn't drill the guys on things that are necessary as football players. Maybe our dead lift maximum has gone up, but it certainly doesn't look like it on the field. I'll give you that our guys looked confused and therefore slow this season, but I disagree that you can't teach speed. You certainly can't take an ordinary person and turn them into Deion Sanders, but you can increase speed. Either that, or those kids in the draft waste a whole hell of a lot of money going to those camps where they work on nothing but speed and agility.

I think everyone is going to stay...which is a damn shame. Pittman needs to go - not only for having our players slow, lacking explosive power, and some of them seemingly out of shape, but for not even being able to show them proper form on lifting. I think he's one of the worst problems with the program - he doesn't treat the players' bodies right in addition to not improving them. GB's biggest mistake to this day in my opinion (aside from all "scandal" stuff) is getting rid of Doc Kreiss. Doc was one of the best. And OH YES YOU CAN TEACH SPEED! Are you kidding me? You can't teach height, but you can teach quickness and speed. In fact, teaching power, strength, speed, quickness, and endurance should be the Head Trainer's job.

Bandison needs to go - horrible coach in my opinion, and I don't think this past year showed us a whole lot of anything...only that he may be better of a coach than the previous years.

Denver Johnson has to be the biggest disappointment of all. I like Grimes, and I think the players really miss him too. Denver had the line playing horribly. He has no discipline on them, and they lack fire. The line is very talented though - they just lack a coach to get them playing consistently and develop skills.

Collins - Hawk's biggest mistake in his first year was firing Hankwitz. To this day, I have no idea how anyone could have fired a stellar DC that wanted to stay at CU...for a guy that is atrocious. He should have been fired after Toledo.

Riddle - I actually think our return game was decent. Using Espinoza when we had other players with speed though, and our horrible coverage game warrant him packing his bags.

Cabral - I love this guy, but he needs to get out of here and further his career. If he's not made DC, then he needs to find someplace that will allow him to be a HC. Hopefully he gets to select his successor - hopefully a former player (Gregorak is coaching I think).

Hagan - recruiting coordinator...not a RB coach. They do not improve under him or are hishandled in my opinion.

Brown - I still have no idea why he's working for Hawk. Keep him or promote him.

Kiesau - I like him a lot, but he was just promoted too quickly. I wish he'd return to WR duties, and Ambrose could take Brown's spot if Brown gets promoted. Ambrose was one hell of a DB back in the day, and I'm sure he can teach a little.

Ambrose - see above.

sorry for restating what some of you have already said. With all of this said though, I don't think anyone is leaving unless on their own free-will. Johnson, Kiesau and Cabral I think are headed for "greener" pastures. I'm really hoping Cabral finds a DC position somewhere and returns with Bienemy to return CU to glory in two years :thumbsup:

Am I the only one who thought that Kiesau did a pretty good job this year? Especially towards the end of the year I thought that our play calling was pretty good. He did the best he could in keeping it balanced considering that his QB was always running for his life, and the running game sort of sucked.

Am I the only one who thought that Kiesau did a pretty good job this year? Especially towards the end of the year I thought that our play calling was pretty good. He did the best he could in keeping it balanced considering that his QB was always running for his life, and the running game sort of sucked.
my issues with Keisau were the little things: Getting the play in on time, procedure penalties, etc. It seemed like he could call a decent game, but his teaching of the offense seemed to be ineffective at times.

Look at this afternoon's DC article - towards the end. As many of us thought...they're all back to stay. Might as well support them and hope that they get things fixed I guess.

IMO the strength coach is a major problem. Looking at the O-linemen on the team, most of them appear to run around 270-280 (and that is being a bit generous). If CU is going to run the football as they claimed last year, they need some beef up front. Sure the linemen might be "quicker," but that doesn't mean crap when a 300+ pound DT is driving them back into the backfield. I think that goes back to the strength coach.

So we went from getting a new coach, to a compromise where Bohn forced Hawkins to get new assistants, to absolutely no change whatsoever?

How does this happen? Does Bohn actually have any authority here, whatsoever?

Last edited:

No overall, Kiesau did OK for a first year OC in my book.

Collins is an abomination.

Back