What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Assuming 6 to Pac and 1 to Big 10(1) as it now looks, can remaining members raid MWC?

Dark Bohner

Cooler than a Popsicle Stand.
Club Member
Since it is looking like MU may be out in the cold(ouch!). Is 5 teams remaining powerful enough to raid the MWC, instead of the other way around. Gonna be some really interesting power plays happening. Any insights as to the technicalities of TV contracts, BCS AQ, etc. will favor one conference over the other?

Yes. And not only the MWC but also the C-USA. They are poised, as long as they keep Mizzou, to still be relevant. They will still likely be better than the Big East and ACC in terms of football.

The seven (or nine) teams I'd add are: Utah, BYU, Boise State, Houston, Memphis, TCU, New Mexico (Air Force, UNLV). That puts them in some big TV markets with up-and-coming teams that can compete with the BCS regulars.

Dont assume the Pac will add 6. It makes more sense to just add Utah and CU especially if the Big X is only adding NU.

Depends. A 5 team conference consisting of Missouri, the Kansas schools, Baylor and Iowa state is stronger than the Mountain West 9 teams? I think the conference will dissolve which is kind of sad but oh well. Mountain West will probably try to grab the Kansas schools and Baylor. Missouri will probably sit tight and hope for a Big 10 invite. Don't know what Iowa State will do.

I still think Kansas if they can get rid of their little brother can go East somewhere or possibly SEC.

Last edited:
If the league drops under six isn't it disbanded by the NCAA? I don't know if they'd have the option. I think they'd have to reorganize and build from there.

I've been trying to find the specific NCAA bylaw on conferences. Basically so far it says you must have 6 members to be organized as a conference. Haven't found any rules on "replacements due to expansion from other conferences". The one "sure thing" I found is that the NCAA Basketball Tourney revenues normally stay with the conference when a team departs, with the exception of a conference losing 50% of its members, then the "units" move with the schools to their new conferences.

TV contract wise, I am certain there are "outs" for the networks for such a wholesale turnover in the product lineup. This isn't the Big East losing 3 and replacing 3.

And, there is no way the 5 remaining members are strong enough to raid the MWC. Commish Craig Thompson would eat Dan Beebe alive in any strategy that pitted the two together.

Dont assume the Pac will add 6. It makes more sense to just add Utah and CU especially if the Big X is only adding NU.

I think they can make $20+ million per school with 16 teams and probably 12 million or so with 12, so I would be surprised if they didn't go to 16

It would be smart for the big 12 left overs to raid another conference and collect on the fat checks that will be written by the 7 departing schools, that in itself is a huge financial windfall.

Sure, Beebe is an idot. But I don't understand how the MWC has leverage. Doesn't the Big XII have WAY more name recognition than the MWC? Don't you think Utah and BYU, who may have been dreaming for years of joining the Big XII, would seize the opportunity if it comes? And like Nebraska, all it may take to blow up the MWC is to have one or two of its better teams leave.

Back