What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ASU's Todd Graham to Texas?

Remember when that used to mean something?
You were saying you only saw it on message boards, so I'm saying I've read it elsewhere. No I haven't seen the contract but given the fact he's a state employee, it should be available.

You were saying you only saw it on message boards, so I'm saying I've read it elsewhere. No I haven't seen the contract but given the fact he's a state employee, it should be available.

Yeah lazy arguing on my side. I guess I just find it hard to believe that one person's contract would prevent a bunch of other people from being able to get a job at an athletic powerhouse. I would be pissed if I was a coach (any coach) at ASU. I could also see a law suit suing ASU if any of these coaches wanted to leave for Texas.

Yeah lazy arguing on my side. I guess I just find it hard to believe that one person's contract would prevent a bunch of other people from being able to get a job at an athletic powerhouse. I would be pissed if I was a coach (any coach) at ASU. I could also see a law suit suing ASU if any of these coaches wanted to leave for Texas.
Like others have said, not sure how enforceable this is. It still makes it harder since it's one more obstacle. So could just be deterrent, because in just about every sport, Texas is a step (or more) above ASU after all especially football.

Did Graham agree to this? If he didn't he can go wherever the heck he wants and the President at UT can hire him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how a contract between one individual and an entity can be legally binding on another individual external to the contract.

Did Graham agree to this? If he didn't he can go wherever the heck he wants and the President at UT can hire him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how a contract between one individual and an entity can be legally binding on another individual external to the contract.

Graham could go to UT. However, there would be financial repercussions for Patterson for hiring him.

I have a hard time seeing ASU letting Graham/UT out of the contract. Sure money talks, but Graham has ASU playing at a high level with tons of momentum, not to mention playing in the Pac-12 championship.

I have a hard time seeing ASU letting Graham/UT out of the contract. Sure money talks, but Graham has ASU playing at a high level with tons of momentum, not to mention playing in the Pac-12 championship.

It's a delicate balance. You don't want future coaches/AD's to not come to your school if they find they might be stuck.

It's similar to not letting a player transfer to another school especially one that is outside of the conference.

It's not a matter of ASU "letting" UT do anything, it's whether UT can write the check. And they can.

Graham could go to UT. However, there would be financial repercussions for Patterson for hiring him.

I just don't think any of this would prevent UT from hiring Graham if they wanted to. But Aik's point above is dead on. Texas isn't going to get that sludge on their hands.

I see a disaster brewing in Austin.

It's not a matter of ASU "letting" UT do anything, it's whether UT can write the check. And they can.

"Hey sure we told you Graham was off limits, but just write a $5mil check and you can have our best coach in 20 years."

"Hey sure we told you Graham was off limits, but just write a $5mil check and you can have our best coach in 20 years."
It's not even a matter of that. It's Texas (if they want him) saying, "We're taking your coach, our lawyers have calculated the penalty to be X, here's a check in the amount of X, go ahead and cash it today, we have 100X on deposit."

It's not even a matter of that. It's Texas (if they want him) saying, "We're taking your coach, our lawyers have calculated the penalty to be X, here's a check in the amount of X, go ahead and cash it today, we have 100X on deposit."

Exactly. Its something Tulsa, Pitt, and ASU all did.

It's really how Texans prefer to operate, in my observation. It validates their collective world-view as a BSD. Attracting an available coach is far less appealing than taking a coach, which requires a public display of resources and power.

It's part of what made them such charming conference mates. I had a relatively connected UT donor once explain what a priviledge it was for Big 12 teams outside of Texas to play the conference championship game in Texas.

If UT was smart, they'd hire Art Briles now, as opposed to waiting until they go through their list of big-name guys who will tell them to go screw themselves.

If UT was smart, they'd hire Art Briles now, as opposed to waiting until they go through their list of big-name guys who will tell them to go screw themselves.

If UT was smart, they'd leverage their national brand with an exclusive network. Who doesn't love Texas? It's America's team!

It's really how Texans prefer to operate, in my observation. It validates their collective world-view as a BSD. Attracting an available coach is far less appealing than taking a coach, which requires a public display of resources and power.

It's part of what made them such charming conference mates. I had a relatively connected UT donor once explain what a priviledge it was for Big 12 teams outside of Texas to play the conference championship game in Texas.

That's really more of a myth that a lot of Texas folks might like to identify with, but the reality is that UT has not really acted in that way in hiring past coaches. It's not like Mack Brown had won multiple titles at UNC before Texas.

I think the vast majority of UT fans would be elated with a Briles hire, myself included.

It's a delicate balance. You don't want future coaches/AD's to not come to your school if they find they might be stuck.

It's similar to not letting a player transfer to another school especially one that is outside of the conference.
Yeah along those lines, you generally want people to come to your school who will stay awhile, but at this same time, you want to attract the best possible people.

That's really more of a myth that a lot of Texas folks might like to identify with, but the reality is that UT has not really acted in that way in hiring past coaches. It's not like Mack Brown had won multiple titles at UNC before Texas.

Which is what I said.

shanahan.

it makes so much sense. they should hire me to consult on the hire since i've given them this idea. :rofl:

graham isn't going there. they can't get gruden or harbaugh-- these are freakin' pipedreams. saban is staying at bama. shanny would be a good fit for them. and only 7mm to buy him out from the skins if he's not fired first.

les miles would be interesting. he'd be a hoot down there in texassss.

More like 34 years - Kush was canned in 1979. They've had coaches in the interim that had flashes, but nothing consistent. Of course, the jury's still out on Graham for that matter.

Why would the AD have signed a non-compete? What was the motivation or leverage ASU had? I am missing that I guess.

When you say "seen it before", are you talking Arizona (or simliiar state) where the "right to work" is staunchly defended? I had a situation there once upon a time. Lawsuits were threatened but State Law made it difficult on the other side.

I don't see how ASU could impose handcuffs on a departing AD. Professional courtesy perhaps, but not legally binding.

"Non-compete" and an agreement not to poach employees are not the same thing.

shanahan.

it makes so much sense. they should hire me to consult on the hire since i've given them this idea. :rofl:

graham isn't going there. they can't get gruden or harbaugh-- these are freakin' pipedreams. saban is staying at bama. shanny would be a good fit for them. and only 7mm to buy him out from the skins if he's not fired first.

Shanny has a Texas sized ego but he is busy right now figuring out how to stick it to Dan Snyder.

Shanny got screwed out of his $230,000 when Al Davis fired him and he has never forgotten it. If (when) Shanny leaves Washington it will be with every cent he can get out of Snyder.

I'd bet that he takes a year out of football again like he did last time. I don't think that he would be opposed to going to a college situation but he wants to have absolute control. He thought he had that in Washington and Snyder spent the entire time meddling and making the decisions including the trade that brought RGIII there and cost them a bunch of draft picks.

UT has a major issue because they have big dollar donors who expect to have their voices heard. Shanny can see that and probably wouldn't be interested. My guees is that if he goes college it would be Florida.

shanahan.

Thanks Leash..

Not to mention that Shanny has little cred left in the NFL and would have no business trying to return to CFB....

The problem is that Elway is out of eligibility.

Shanny has a Texas sized ego but he is busy right now figuring out how to stick it to Dan Snyder.

Shanny got screwed out of his $230,000 when Al Davis fired him and he has never forgotten it. If (when) Shanny leaves Washington it will be with every cent he can get out of Snyder.

I'd bet that he takes a year out of football again like he did last time. I don't think that he would be opposed to going to a college situation but he wants to have absolute control. He thought he had that in Washington and Snyder spent the entire time meddling and making the decisions including the trade that brought RGIII there and cost them a bunch of draft picks.

UT has a major issue because they have big dollar donors who expect to have their voices heard. Shanny can see that and probably wouldn't be interested. My guees is that if he goes college it would be Florida.
Think Florida can do better than him even if Muschamp doesn't work out.

Back