What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

At least we will be in NIT for sure, is it correct?

cnbuff410

Club Member
Club Member
I know it's not a proper time to raise this. I want them to be in March as badly as you guys. But even if we don't make it in the end, we at lease have some other games to play. Is that for sure with today's win?

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/nit.html

Before today's results, we were projected as a 4 seed in the NIT with Nebraska as a 2 seed. If the season ended right now, we'd likely be at least a 2 seed. (1s and 2s get two home games assuming a 1st round win, so we really want to be there if we end up missing he NCAA tourney.)

Yes, we would receive an NIT bid. I'll get bombed for this, but......it would probably benefit the team more to go there vice The Dance. I'm just not sold that we win any games in the ncaa tourney. In the NIT, I think they could go a long way. Lots of extra court time and practice, especially for the players who won't leave after this year.

Would I like to see the team win several more games and get invited to the ncaa tourney? Sure, absolutely. I just won't be heartbroken if that doesn't happen.

Yes, we would receive an NIT bid. I'll get bombed for this, but......it would probably benefit the team more to go there vice The Dance. I'm just not sold that we win any games in the ncaa tourney. In the NIT, I think they could go a long way. Lots of extra court time and practice, especially for the players who won't leave after this year.

Would I like to see the team win several more games and get invited to the ncaa tourney? Sure, absolutely. I just won't be heartbroken if that doesn't happen.

From a recruiting standpoint a trip to the NCAA tourney would mean a lot more as well as from a financial standpoint.

Looking at it from a program development angle though you may be completely correct. If the Buffs get a bid to the big dance they will be a medium low seed, ahead of only those schools from the minor conferences that are only in because of an automatic bid. This means a fairly tough matchup in the first round followed by a likely game against a 1-3 seed if they win that game and a quick trip home either way.

On the other hand there is some history of teams making runs in the NIT then returning the following year to have success in the NCAAs. The extra practice time, the tourney atmosphere, and the experience of winning in a win or go home situation prepares them for future success.

Based on where we were a few years ago under Ricardo and even where we were last year under Buzz and with the injury to Harris-Trunks, I am going to be happy with either result and enjoy what we get.

We're replacing 4 scholarship seniors in the next recruiting class. Being able to sell us as an NCAA tourney team would help so much on the recruiting trail. We need the 2012 group to be special.

We're replacing 4 scholarship seniors in the next recruiting class. Being able to sell us as an NCAA tourney team would help so much on the recruiting trail. We need the 2012 group to be special.

speaking of replacing players you see Adams tweet on Dinwide (sp)? 20-6-7 for his team in their last win.

speaking of replacing players you see Adams tweet on Dinwide (sp)? 20-6-7 for his team in their last win.

Not only did I see it, I was considering starting a thread with the full article: http://www.wavenewspapers.com/sports/Taft-routs-Palisades-in-semifinals-116985733.html

This will do, though.

Standout guard Spencer Dinwiddie led the way for Taft (26-2) with 20 points, seven rebounds and six assists. Twelve of his points were in the second half when the Toreadors were breaking the contest open.

:smile2:

Looking way ahead here...Denver is a host city for the tourney this year. If we were too make it, any chance we get play there or does the committe try and prevent lower-seeded teams from playing close to home.

Looking way ahead here...Denver is a host city for the tourney this year. If we were too make it, any chance we get play there or does the committe try and prevent lower-seeded teams from playing close to home.

The committee generally tries to keep the higher seeds (top 4 seeds) as close to home as possible. I highly doubt they would put CU in Denver when we'll be somewhere in the 10-12 range as far as our seeding goes.

Well it looks like Cory and Dre want to go dancing. Caught them Dougie'ing after the win last night....

24qshgg.jpg

My fear with the NIT is that if we continue to maintain our bubble status and still end up getting shutout of the Big Dance, we will end up having a letdown in the NIT...this happened to us a few years ago when we got left out of the Dance, and ended up hosting Old Dominion in the first round of the NIT - they pasted us pretty good at the CEC - I think we lost by somewhere in the 15-20 point range...

My fear with the NIT is that if we continue to maintain our bubble status and still end up getting shutout of the Big Dance, we will end up having a letdown in the NIT...this happened to us a few years ago when we got left out of the Dance, and ended up hosting Old Dominion in the first round of the NIT - they pasted us pretty good at the CEC - I think we lost by somewhere in the 15-20 point range...

I don't worry as much about this with Tad. This team seems to be pretty focused and he has their attention. This team is not comparatively as talented as some prior Buff squads, even with the two wings, but they get the most out of what they have.

happened against Oregon one year as well. we miss the NCAA and underwhelm in the NIT.

I will be fine with a NIT appearance. That translates into extra practices for the returning players and we will need that in a big way for next season since we will be playing very few familiar teams. Only CSU and Oregon State are teams we are familiar with for next season as far as I know. We MUST make a tourney this year for sure.

exactly...we also lost to Oregon in '04 in a tough game.

I just disagree with the NIT over NCAA comments, as I'm sure most people do.

...okay - I just realized that Mick brought up the Oregon game...

happened against Oregon one year as well. we miss the NCAA and underwhelm in the NIT.

If I remember right about that Oregon game, we were on the road and I believe we took them to OT...not quite the same circumstances as getting blown out at home by a mid-major...

Different set of circumstances. They got off to a good start in conference that year, then fell flat on their face come mid-February and never really recovered. Ricardo did his best to kill any momentum the team had that year. From the players to the coaches, this year's team has a lot more character than that.

Isn't the NIT a money loser? It seems to me that I've heard the cost of going to the NIT is more than you earn.

Isn't the NIT a money loser? It seems to me that I've heard the cost of going to the NIT is more than you earn.

Depends on the circumstances. If you host and lose in the first round, you usually lose a lot of money, because then you have a second round game that no one buys tickets for. Part of the NIT hosting bid is guarenteeing ticket sales. The small conference schools that host also end up losing money too, because they typically have to guarentee more ticket sales then their gyms hold. If we hosted and took care of business in the first round, we'd probably make money.

Back