What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Attention Dave Plati and/or CU game day operations manager

The funny thing is the internet wasn't even brought up in the first place. He can't really help himself to slam the message boards that are dedicated to the Buffs.

I've met Dave a handful of times. He kind of has a condescending attitude towards people. Not really sure why. I guess that's just who he is.

The funny thing is the internet wasn't even brought up in the first place. He can't really help himself to slam the message boards that are dedicated to the Buffs.

I've met Dave a handful of times. He kind of has a condescending attitude towards people. Not really sure why. I guess that's just who he is.

Weird. I thought fat people were jolly.

I know Sackman doesn't give a ****, but I respect the work he's done for the school. The guy bleeds black and gold. It just seems that he thinks he's the only one that loves the Buffs. :huh:

I know Sackman doesn't give a ****, but I respect the work he's done for the school. The guy bleeds black and gold. It just seems that he thinks he's the only one that loves the Buffs. :huh:

I have a lot of respect for his ability and all he's done as well. That's why that public comment is so dismaying.

Expected better of you, Dave. I really did.

So he bleeds black and gold? Who amongst us doesn't? That somehow makes him special? The guy is an asshole. The sooner he's gone, the sooner we can get an SID who is firmly entrenched in the 21st century.

I have a lot of respect for his ability and all he's done as well. That's why that public comment is so dismaying.

Expected better of you, Dave. I really did.

So he bleeds black and gold? Who amongst us doesn't? That somehow makes him special? The guy is an asshole. The sooner he's gone, the sooner we can get an SID who is firmly entrenched in the 21st century.
The last 4 1/2 years have made us all a bit cranky .....

I just wanted to say a couple of things about Plati. One, NOBODY knows more about Colorado football than Dave. From my few dealings directly with him, I know he loves the University to a fault. He has rightfully earned the reputation as being one of the best in the business. Having said that, I think that anyone who has been in their job for as long as Dave has becomes somewhat insulated from their surroundings. In several documented incidents in the past couple of years, he has come across as flippant, rude, and condescending - and that is NOT acceptable. I'm not ready to throw him under the bus quite yet, but I really think that Mike Bohn (or whomever he reports to) needs to sit him down and explain to him that his words and actions are taken as being representative of the University, and he needs to rein it in. Any more of these type of incidents, and I will be more supportive of Sacky's view on the matter.

How much does Plati make a year? Just curious.

I'd guess not much, probably far less than an number of people on here and he's probably far more well respected nationally in his field than they are.

That said it is pretty sad the attitude Dave displays towards new media, unfortunately it is not an altogether uncommon attitude and it is held by people in news rooms and radio stations the world over. They think the internet is cheap, useless, poorly vetted, and full of baseless rumor. I've personally tried to to talk to the Ad about this exact issue and I've offered both my time and experience as have several others in my field who are very well respected to help them craft a proper digital presence, to tech them how to stay on point, to handle the rumors, to engage people, to get their story out first, to be consistent and successful rather than sticking their heads in the sand. It is just an unfortunately old guard mentality that won't go unless he does.

so does the school pay Plati to be a gigantic asshole to the fans that love CU so much they spend all day talking about the on the Internet?

I'd guess not much, probably far less than an number of people on here and he's probably far more well respected nationally in his field than they are.

That said it is pretty sad the attitude Dave displays towards new media, unfortunately it is not an altogether uncommon attitude and it is held by people in news rooms and radio stations the world over. They think the internet is cheap, useless, poorly vetted, and full of baseless rumor. I've personally tried to to talk to the Ad about this exact issue and I've offered both my time and experience as have several others in my field who are very well respected to help them craft a proper digital presence, to tech them how to stay on point, to handle the rumors, to engage people, to get their story out first, to be consistent and successful rather than sticking their heads in the sand. It is just an unfortunately old guard mentality that won't go unless he does.

You should have told them you were going to clinic them.

If I had to deal with all the bullsh&t he has to on a daily basis I might be a little thin skinned also. He has a job to do and he's damn good at it.

If I had to deal with all the bullsh&t he has to on a daily basis I might be a little thin skinned also. He has a job to do and he's damn good at it.

It's his job to insult the people who pay his salary? Where can I get a job like that?

I've personally offered to both the foundation and the Ad (through teh foundation) to teach them how to manage this stuff and turn it into a business. If they would embrace rather than ridicule and hide from new media it would stop being "bull****" and start being a resource.

I think Plati et. al. honestly believe that the internet is a hinderance to their efforts. They apparently don't realize that when people are pissed, it doesn't matter if there is an internet for them to vent their frustrations on or not. Those people are still going to be pissed. A good businessman doesn't bury his head in the sand and pretend that his customers are all happy. Of course, Plati has never been confused with a good businessman.

The internet should be viewed as a positive for Plati. It gives him the pulse of the CU fan base without having to pound the pavement to find out. Before the internet all they got was information from alumni/booster-type functions.

If Plati does not view the internet as another tool that can be used to help CU, then he has no clue what he is doing.

He is very good at providing sports information. One of the best in the business.

But when he gets into spin control and fan relations, he sucks. We need a PR firm for the CU Athletic Department, because Plati is not up to the job. We take a beating in the national media as other programs get word out to bloggers and others who deliver hunches as scoop. They get themselves out in front of the story and control the direction of the dialogue while CU is either forced to be reactive (in which case Plati always comes off as condescending and snippy) or silent (in which case CU looks either unaware or in agreement over the negative report).

Also, he has not done a good job of embracing new media and the changing media culture. He has had personality conflicts with a number of internet outlets and even CU's own web site leaves a lot to be desired.

There has to be a role for Plati, but it has to be defined and limited.

is he really that good at his job? how do we know he is better than the head asshole at other schools.

I've personally offered to both the foundation and the Ad (through teh foundation) to teach them how to manage this stuff and turn it into a business. If they would embrace rather than ridicule and hide from new media it would stop being "bull****" and start being a resource.

And there's the rub. Well over a thousand of the most passionate Buff fans. All of us wanting the Buffs to excel. And we're ridiculed as an enemy of the athletic department. Belittled as only being the 25 idiots who regularly comment on Daily Camera and Denver Post articles.

You know an easy way that CU could use us? They could send an alert to the site administrators of Buff sites every time they see an internet article with a negative slant toward the Buffs or false information being reported. We'd swarm in to fight back. Political campaigns do this all the time. Similarly, the CU AD could plant its own slanted stories. When was the last time the CU AD gave an internet site a direct quote (other than cubuffs.com)? Mike Bohn, Dave Plati or Ceal Barry should be interviewed every week for Rivals, Scout, Ralphie Report, CUAtTheGame, etc.

And there's the rub. Well over a thousand of the most passionate Buff fans. All of us wanting the Buffs to excel. And we're ridiculed as an enemy of the athletic department. Belittled as only being the 25 idiots who regularly comment on Daily Camera and Denver Post articles.

You know an easy way that CU could use us? They could send an alert to the site administrators of Buff sites every time they see an internet article with a negative slant toward the Buffs or false information being reported. We'd swarm in to fight back. Political campaigns do this all the time. Similarly, the CU AD could plant its own slanted stories. When was the last time the CU AD gave an internet site a direct quote (other than cubuffs.com)? Mike Bohn, Dave Plati or Ceal Barry should be interviewed every week for Rivals, Scout, Ralphie Report, CUAtTheGame, etc.

Absolutely this is an integral part of staying ahead of the game and being able to get your message out and combat miss-information. They don't do it well, and what they actually do is an afterthought or half-assed. That leads to a situation where when an issue does come up it spins completely out of control before they can even react.

Somebody asked if he's all that good at what he does. I'm not convinced. I suppose he's a pretty good stat monkey. We could get a grad student to be a stat monkey.

ostrich_head_sand.jpg

If the university were good at the interwebs, there would be no need for Allbuffs.

Apparently Dave's grudge against internet message boards goes way past the last 4 1/2 years.
http://ftp.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F3/258/258.F3d.1167.99-1375.html

Pure gold. rep.:thumbsup:

Favorite quote:

Smith makes much out of Plati's "attempts" and "threats" but alleges little concrete, retaliatory action. For instance, Smith alleges that Plati attempted to induce Smith's attorney not to represent him and attempted to interfere with Netbuffs.com by threatening to copyright athletic information. Smith, however, fails to allege enough context to show why these preliminary (and apparently unsuccessful) actions would chill a person of ordinary firmness.

Now ask yourself: are you chill? are you a person of ordinary firmness? pure legal gold there.

Back